Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

The first paragraph is a bit of a rant about a UA GS member () and the second was just amusing…

On tonight’s flight, I sat down and the woman across the aisle from me (in F) called for the FA to come over during the start of boarding. When the FA came over, a glass of water was requested and the FA fought the flow of boarding folks to head back to the galley. After a minute or two, the FA was heading back from the galley to the cabin with empty hands. The “lady” across from me called over the sternly stated, “I did ask you for a glass of water, didn’t I?” The FA stated that they had not yet been catered and she would have it for her shortly. The lady then asked, “Why didn’t you tell me this when I asked for it?” The FA stated that she was unaware that the plane was not yet catered, but was coming to tell her now. The lady got very hostile and stated that she was “a United Global Service member and I’m not treated like this on United.” The FA kept her composure while the passenger repeated how upset she was that she was not “immediately notified” that her water would be coming after catering arrived. The FA stated that she could get the GA or a supervisor if she was would like to speak to someone else. The passenger requested that and the FA went to the galley and called the gate. A male from the gate came down and the passenger expressed her significant displeasure because the FA did not immediately announce that the plane was waiting on catering. Then she told the gate agent that she wanted headphones… “you do have those on this airline, don’t you?” The GA calmly said, “Surely” and went to the galley to get a pair. After the male handed the passenger the bagged headphones, she stated “don’t you have anything else; those suck” and how UA offers “good ones”. The GA was very polite in explaining that was all they had and then left. The passenger was telling her seatmate how “No passenger should ever be treated like this” and about “how unprofessional” the original FA was. She started looking for a comment card in the in flight magazine, and said she’ll call after the flight because she didn’t find one. Luckily she didn’t have anything else to complain about or I’d have finally told her what I thought. I will send a note to CO about the professionalism if the FA, since I’m sure the passenger will be complaining about the experience. What a total schmuck!

Then shortly after takeoff I felt something vibrating under my foot… I always take my shoes off on planes (but I don’t put my feet on the bulkhead). I looked down in astonishment to find a small pink vibrator with a rubber ring to attach around one’s finger. I decided to not put it around my finger and found an excuse to get something out of my bag overhead, thinking I’d maybe find a young, attractive lady back there missing something. Instead, I found a ~50 y/o man . I’m hoping it was left from another passenger and not his, but I didn't ask.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
UA creates monsters like that. I hope she gets so upset that she ends up going to AAnother airline. What a douche.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by carvalh2
UA creates monsters like that. I hope she gets so upset that she ends up going to AAnother airline. What a douche.
What kind of monsters does CO create?

P.S.: If it is already getting this ugly among the passengers, just imagine what it's going to be like merging the employees of these two companies?

Lord have mercy!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Certainly not entitled pricks like that. That person clearly was too important to wait for a glass of water.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Only the cute cuddly blue ones, because this would have NEVER happened with a CO elite!

Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly not entitled pricks like that. That person clearly was too important to wait for a glass of water.
Hmmm...I have certainly experienced my fair share of "entitled pricks" on CO.

I recall an old thread here on FT, where they were referred to as the "self-important elites."

No airline has a monopoly on boorishness...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Only the cute cuddly blue ones.

That's brilliant!

I want my cookie! NOW!!! My cookie, damnit! Warm!!! Warm it's not warm!!! Don't you know who I am? I'm an OP Plat monster for crying out loud!!!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:01 pm

Hmmm...I have certainly experienced my fair share of "entitled pricks" on CO.

I recall an old thread here on FT, where they were referred to as the "self-important elites."

No airline has a monopoly on boorishness...
True, but anecdotal evidence seems to point that UA is specially gifted with those. And perception is reality in most cases.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

(emphasis mine)

HAH, great terminology. I was tempted to title the thread "a douche and a vibrator", but thought it might be a bit too over-the-top for some
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but anecdotal evidence seems to point that UA is specially gifted with those. And perception is reality in most cases.
That's all a matter of perspective, frankly.

Maybe, it's true that one is less likely to meet the UA GS type, with a similar degree of entitlement, flying, say, RyanAir or Spirit Airlines...then again, you would have to be flying on one of those airlines, so, on balance, I'll put up with the arrogance...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:11 pm

That's all a matter of perspective, frankly.

Maybe, it's true that one is likely to meet the UA GS type, with a similar degree of entitlement, flying, say, RyanAir or Spirit Airlines...then again, you would have to be flying on one of those airlines, so, on balance, I'll put up with the arrogance...
Everything is a matter of perspective

And I am sure some CO plats are entitled as well, but you have to admit that UAs way of doing business (i.e. compensation for even the most trivial of issues) leads people like the douche that the OP witnessed to become entitled pricks.

It is like spoiling a child, plain and simple.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:12 pm

There is a time a place for everything. If you flying a nice carrier, (that charges accordingly), i.e Swiss, Singapore, Qatar, etc - that I suppose its ok to be a little bit of a drama queen.

But if you are flying domestic, (presumably), then adjust the attitude.

I think it's nice that the FA tried to accommodate the request.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:12 pm

That's brilliant!

I want my cookie! NOW!!! My cookie, damnit! Warm!!! Warm it's not warm!!! Don't you know who I am? I'm an OP Plat monster for crying out loud!!!
The fresh baked cookies are my favorite indeed
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything is a matter of perspective

And I am sure some CO plats are entitled as well, but you have to admit that UAs way of doing business (i.e. compensation for even the most trivial of issues) leads people like the douche that the OP witnessed to become entitled pricks.

It is like spoiling a child, plain and simple.
Again, I'm not sure I agree with the sweeping nature of your statement.

Some UA GS's might (and do ) react like that. Others are perfectly gracious and humble.

It's not so different on CO, where you see a profound sense of entitlement from people who virtually take for granted the perk of FC upgrades and are deeply incensed when they theirs doesn't come through...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fresh baked cookies are my favorite indeed
Wait? So you are Cookie Monster?

Excellent!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.