Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travel.flier
If a UA GS paid $2,500 for a domestic F ticket, it seems reasonable to want a glass of water.
Indeed. But not to be a jerk about demanding it. Big difference. :-:
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
While perhaps the GS member doesn't have the "right" to be rude, I will say this - if I was running a business and someone was giving me $40k+ in revenue annually on premium tickets (ie, it's high margin revenue), I would let them treat me rude or however they want, and I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. That's just how I work, and obviously, most people at least here on this forum have a different perspective. I have no idea how much this person paid for this ticket, but we do know they spend a lot of money on premium tickets, so yes, my $2500 is pure speculation, but the profile of GS is that they pay for premium fares, as opposed to most of us upgraders.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by sfogate
We treat all F passengers equally- which is what drives the UA Elites bonkers.
Such a shocking concept for them, as they are so used to pigeonholing people based on their status. I forget the thread it was in, but someone sitting in UA domestic F was very upset that their flight was held because someone in E- got sick at the gate. Why does it matter that the person was in E-, might I ask? Oh, right, because by virtue of their seat, they are a lesser being in the UA worldview.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I have no idea how much this person paid for this ticket, but we do know they spend a lot of money on premium tickets, so yes, my $2500 is pure speculation, but the profile of GS is that they pay for premium fares, as opposed to most of us upgraders.
I do. The person probably paid $0.

and her employer paid way too much.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I do. There person probably paid $0.

and her employer paid way too much.
+1 , probably!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by controller1
+1 , probably!
Indeed......

P.S. - And how 'bout those LSU Tigers!!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jlemon
Indeed......

P.S. - And how 'bout those LSU Tigers!!
They looked better last night. I was there and there were some exciting plays in those interceptions.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Daggers and make up

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
time to put away the daggers and make up...
But what if I want to look daggers at someone?---say, like, at the offending GS in the OP's post!

And anyway, I don't wear makeup.

oh, no.....wait...you...I....
uh, nevermind
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by controller1
They looked better last night. I was there and there were some exciting plays in those interceptions.
Yes, they certainly did.....it was definitely an exciting evening in Death Valley.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm, yes. The two words are used in totally different scenarios.
It's a quote from Fight Club. I was tempted to use it myself, but didn't have the exact wording, and didn't feel like using The Google.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:13 pm

While perhaps the GS member doesn't have the "right" to be rude, I will say this - if I was running a business and someone was giving me $40k+ in revenue annually on premium tickets (ie, it's high margin revenue), I would let them treat me rude or however they want, and I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. That's just how I work, and obviously, most people at least here on this forum have a different perspective. I have no idea how much this person paid for this ticket, but we do know they spend a lot of money on premium tickets, so yes, my $2500 is pure speculation, but the profile of GS is that they pay for premium fares, as opposed to most of us upgraders.
The problem is that front line employees are dealing with these situations on the flight, not executives. I think it's safe to say most FAs don't think about the big picture you paint when dealing with a problem passenger - all they know is that someone else can pay just as much money and sit in that seat and be a lot more courteous and dignified.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: MYOB
Thre is a HUGE difference between the person RUNNING the business, and a paid employee. The paid employee is not the on laughing all the way to the bank, and should not have to be belittled by someone's arrogance.
Rude behavior is rude behavior, no matter what "station" one has in life, or what they may have paid for a service. DYKWIA is really unacceptable behavior, not matter whether a UA GS, CO PPlat, or someone buying a car, or an ice cream cone. "May I helpt the NEXT person please".
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:04 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
And while a GS is high revenue for UA, they are not high revenue for CO.
Not to nitpick but come 10/1, PPlats and GSs will be high revenue for the new UA by definition.
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
We treat all F passengers equally- which is what drives the UA Elites bonkers.
Such a shocking concept for them, as they are so used to pigeonholing people based on their status. I forget the thread it was in, but someone sitting in UA domestic F was very upset that their flight was held because someone in E- got sick at the gate. Why does it matter that the person was in E-, might I ask? Oh, right, because by virtue of their seat, they are a lesser being in the UA worldview.
CM -- I'm not sure why you've adopted such bleak view on the general UA elite membership. I doubt any airline has a monopoly on d-bag customers and I worry you're allowing your personal prejudices to overcome your otherwise good judgement.

This is not to excuse behavior, but rather suggest *every* airline/hotel/business entity will have their share of such customers and point out ridiculousness of characterizing all members of the United group as eager to pigeonhole anyone else for their own ends.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 19, 2010 at 5:11 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Not to nitpick but come 10/1, PPlats and GSs will be high revenue for the new UA by definition. CM -- I'm not sure why you've adopted such bleak view on the general UA elite membership. I doubt any airline has a monopoly on d-bag customers and I worry you're allowing your personal prejudices to overcome your otherwise good judgement.

This is not to excuse behavior, but rather suggest *every* airline/hotel/business entity will have their share of such customers.
Until 10/1- UA GSs are not CO's elite, they are UA's elite. As far as CO is concerned they are customers.

I know I have a bleak view of UA's Elites is because of the RAH RAH speech and by what I read on the UA forum.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dcutcher
But what if I want to look daggers at someone?---say, like, at the offending GS in the OP's post!

And anyway, I don't wear makeup.

oh, no.....wait...you...I....
uh, nevermind
All valid points....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.