Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:04 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
That's brilliant!

I want my cookie! NOW!!! My cookie, damnit! Warm!!! Warm it's not warm!!! Don't you know who I am? I'm an OP Plat monster for crying out loud!!!
OMG... Fantastic!!!!^ You are too funny!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Not to nitpick but come 10/1, PPlats and GSs will be high revenue for the new UA by definition. CM -- I'm not sure why you've adopted such bleak view on the general UA elite membership. I doubt any airline has a monopoly on d-bag customers and I worry you're allowing your personal prejudices to overcome your otherwise good judgement.

This is not to excuse behavior, but rather suggest *every* airline/hotel/business entity will have their share of such customers and point out ridiculousness of characterizing all members of the United group as eager to pigeonhole anyone else for their own ends.
J., I never said that I hold a certain view on the entire UA elite base. I always forget to leave out that all of the bad examples I have read were FT posters. It is the brick-lovers that I find distasteful, and I don't mean to lump everyone together. The DYKWIA people, no matter the context, I find repulsive.

I appreciate you pointing out my error and in light of such, I will focus my laser beam of dislike more intently.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sfogate
I know I have a bleak view of UA's Elites is because of the RAH RAH speech and by what I read on the UA forum.
Not to single you out, but IIRC, you used to also hold a somewhat negative opinion of CO FTers as well, until you started meeting and interacting with them.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ohhhh how much I desperately wish I was on that flight sitting next to the GS member - what an experience she would have had....and probably never would have set foot on CO again.

I'm sure we'll get to experience more of this nonsense from UA customers as times goes on
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm sure we'll get to experience more of this nonsense from UA customers as times goes on
But soon enough you WILL BE a UA customer.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
This episode is excellent evidence of things that I have been saying for months (and largely being castigated by fellof FTers) UA elites, generally less important and less elite in real life, than the higher caliber of persons who frequent CO, cling to their UA status like rats to a sinking ship. As evidenced in the UA forum, the single most important fact in any story is the status level of the customer. Since the passenger was UGS, everyone on the UA board KNOWS that the GS is right by definition. The only way to bring things to a halt over there is for two GS's to disagree. That creates a paradox which threatens the fabric of reality.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Though it will be the opposite. They'll be on UA and COmplaining about the service on UA:

CO PPlat: "Excuse me! Excuse me! My seat isn't clean! There's something on it!"
FA: "Sir, that's just a pillow. We put them there for our first class passengers."
CO PPlat: "I'm a COntinental Presidential Platinum! When I board, I don't want anything invading my seat space!"
FA: "Not a problem, Sir, I'll remove it for you."

More like instead of a pillow on the seat the used diaper I found in the seat pocket of a UA F flight I took last Thanksgiving.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
Though it will be the opposite. They'll be on UA and COmplaining about the service on UA:

CO PPlat: "Excuse me! Excuse me! My seat isn't clean! There's something under it!"
FA: "Sir, that's just a vibrator. We put them there for our first class passengers."
CO PPlat: "I'm a COntinental Presidential Platinum! When I board, I don't want anything invading my seat space!"
FA: "Not a problem, Sir, I'll stick it in the appropriate place for you."

Fixed it for you.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Laughable
But soon enough you WILL BE a UA customer.
No, I will be a customer of CONTINENTAL, "operating as" United. The name on the plane might say 'United', but the heart and soul of the new airline will be Continental.

It's only a question of when and what cost as to beating the United 'tude out of the merged employees and customers.

I have a sharp tongue and I'm not afraid to use it in public - and had this woman been sitting next to me, I would have lit into her in a pretty nasty way.

This GS-buffoonery will only get worse as more of them end up on Continental pending the merger. I really feel sorry for the CO employees who will bear the brunt of this.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:55 am

Not to single you out, but IIRC, you used to also hold a somewhat negative opinion of CO FTers as well, until you started meeting and interacting with them.
You are correct. 3 years ago I did have a jaded opinion of the flying public. FT changed my view as I read about how the other side of the counter viewed us. My interaction with the flying public is short and often not pleasant since I am the 'last resort' for the company to fix their problem.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfogate
You are correct. 3 years ago I did have a jaded opinion of the flying public. FT changed my view as I read about how the other side of the counter viewed us. My interaction with the flying public is short and often not pleasant since I am the 'last resort' for the company to fix their problem.

I think once you start meeting and working with the UA customers, you'll find them to be decent as well. I hope you enjoy the UA open house and SFO DO, which is probably comprised of many UA folks.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's only a question of when and what cost as to beating the United 'tude out of the merged employees and customers.
If you really want to feel at home, you forgot the part about replacing the UA 'tude with CO arrogance. Rah! Rah!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by carvalh2
True, but anecdotal evidence seems to point that UA is specially gifted with those. And perception is reality in most cases.
How is UA creating them? By providing much better customer service than CO?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Getting back to the OP's post --
because you said the 'lady' was across the aisle from you, and the FA had to fight the stream of boarding passengers to get back to the galley, I'm assuming you weren't in the bulkhead row on this flight (wouldn't be much of a fight for the FA from the first row is all I'm sayin') -- is that correct? If so, how do you know the object under your foot wasn't from someone in front of you? You know how things on the floor tend to slide backward upon takeoff.... Anyone of interest in those seats? Just a thought.

As for the rest of this thread...I figure as long as human beings continue to fly, people like this woman will continue to spread their obnoxiousness across the lately-not-so-friendly skies.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
How is UA creating them? By providing much better customer service than CO?
No, in fact the opposite. Vouchers in ridiculously high dollar amounts for trivial things is not good customer service. It is an indication of fear and it is essentially the same thought process as throwing money at a political/social problem and then being shocked years later when the problem is still there. The people on the receiving end are thrilled because the airline has conditioned them into thinking that a petty complaint will subsidize a good chunk (and in some people's cases, all) of a future flight.

The airline would rather give away revenue than lose a high-mile flyer who will also counter-recruit to their friends and colleagues. It's a sound idea that has been misapplied. The airline is giving away too much for too little, and the savvy consumer of today is expecting more and more for less and less.

This lesson in the slippery slope brought to you by the letter J and the number 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.