Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Generally, when taking a sunset photo, you are not looking directly at the sun.
The camera is. If sunset sun rays don't damage it, I'd think it'll handle corona rays just fine.

OP, the image on the phone's screen can't hurt your eyes. It's just light generated by the LEDs in the screen. I'd face away from the sun, remove my eclipse glasses, and frame the image on the phone using its front (selfie) camera. Make sure to put on the glasses again when you face back to the sun, and don't let the goal of photographing the event distract you from experiencing it yourself.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:50 pm

transportation available still from portland to totality

Originally Posted by 2Ruse
my original plans to get to the path of totality from portland have fallen thru - does anyone know of companies providing transportation e.g. to the willamette valley (or anywhere to get to 100%)? TIA!
amazingly there are still at least a couple of companies with available transportation to/from portland - i won't post info here, as it may violate terms of use against advertising, but PM me if you're still looking
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
amazingly there are still at least a couple of companies with available transportation to/from portland - i won't post info here, as it may violate terms of use against advertising, but PM me if you're still looking
If said transportation is a train that makes me avoid the I-5 risk, I'm interested. Otherwise... nah.

I'd offer anyone a ride but I still haven't actually booked the non-refundable trigger so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:27 pm

type of transportation in oregon

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If said transportation is a train that makes me avoid the I-5 risk, I'm interested. Otherwise... nah.

I'd offer anyone a ride but I still haven't actually booked the non-refundable trigger so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.
the ones i've found are all via car/limo/van (not train)
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
I suppose... At first I was thinking "who's going to be making a bunch of phone calls during the eclipse?" But then I thought...I will take phone pics and shoot a little video, and those automatically get uploaded to Flickr, so I suppose a city full of people using their video/photo uploading services could crush the network.

The fact that said photo/video will inevitably suck won't stop me or anyone else from doing it. Facebook is going to be full of really boring, dark photos that day!

The only extraordinary precautions I will take will be to ensure I have plenty of charcoal, meat, and beer ahead of time. Human beings can survive a long time on meat and beer. And barbecue sauce.
Cell companies setting up additional temp towers in st joe. Expecting 1/2 million people from all over the world to converge on city of 50,000.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:52 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'm flying into and out of STL on eclipse day. Renting a car and driving south or east based on weather and traffic (Most of St. Louis is not in path of totality).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
You should probably switch it to the front camera (as if you were taking a selfie) so you're safely facing away from the sun.
I'd face away from the sun, remove my eclipse glasses, and frame the image on the phone using its front (selfie) camera.
Is that just to be cautious about protecting the back (better) camera, or is there another reason?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You should probably switch it to the front camera (as if you were taking a selfie) so you're safely facing away from the sun.
I'd face away from the sun, remove my eclipse glasses, and frame the image on the phone using its front (selfie) camera.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Is that just to be cautious about protecting the back (better) camera, or is there another reason?
It's to avoid looking at the corona with your unprotected eyes, which could be seriously damaged. With your back to the sun and the phone set to use its front camera, you can look at the image on your phone without risking your eyesight. You can then put the eclipse glasses back on and look directly at the eclipse safely.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Just found this thread. We're hosting a mini-do at my place near Smithville Lake (just south of St Joeseph, MO about 45 minutes - only 6 seconds of totality off the center line). Anyway, we've got 9 so far (SweetWillie, ADAM-DFW, ClaudiSTR, johnnywho, FriendlySkies, monitor, susiesan, iris30) along with my family and anyone else who stops by. I'm smoking 8-9 racks of ribs for a mid-afternoon meal after the eclipse. Plenty of parking and beverages if anyone else wants to avoid the crowds in St Joe - just shoot me a PM. We're about 15 minutes from MCI for those trying to beat a hasty retreat.

Rich
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by holland
Just found this thread. We're hosting a mini-do at my place near Smithville Lake (just south of St Joeseph, MO about 45 minutes - only 6 seconds of totality off the center line). Anyway, we've got 9 so far (SweetWillie, ADAM-DFW, ClaudiSTR, johnnywho, FriendlySkies, monitor, susiesan, iris30) along with my family and anyone else who stops by. I'm smoking 8-9 racks of ribs for a mid-afternoon meal after the eclipse. Plenty of parking and beverages if anyone else wants to avoid the crowds in St Joe - just shoot me a PM. We're about 15 minutes from MCI for those trying to beat a hasty retreat.

Rich
That's very nice of you. I hope your party goes well.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Anyone going to be in Jackson Hole WY?

Airport parking lot is close to center of eclipse center and the weather here is usually good. I will be coming in the night before.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:02 am

Found Saver Award to Jackson Hole on morning of eclipse

A long-time lurker here, just saw this thread. A few days ago I was pretty happy to to find a 1-way 12,500 mile saver award NYC-JAC for the morning of the eclipse. Convinced a Colorado friend to do the same, we're landing at 945 AM, just in time for the eclipse which begins at 1020. I guess we will be running into other flyertalk-ers there, sounds like we should just watch the show from the airport!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by highpeaks
A long-time lurker here, just saw this thread. A few days ago I was pretty happy to to find a 1-way 12,500 mile saver award NYC-JAC for the morning of the eclipse. Convinced a Colorado friend to do the same, we're landing at 945 AM, just in time for the eclipse which begins at 1020. I guess we will be running into other flyertalk-ers there, sounds like we should just watch the show from the airport!
I hope your flight doesn't get delayed
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by greg0ire
I hope your flight doesn't get delayed
I was looking at Boise flights and looks like the Sunday night last arrivals are cheaper than earlier in the day. Obviously many don't want to take this risk.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I was looking at Boise flights and looks like the Sunday night last arrivals are cheaper than earlier in the day. Obviously many don't want to take this risk.
Thanks for the concerns, I guess we might have a view from the air if delayed! Spending a few days in the mountains is my main reason for heading west. The eclipse is icing on the cake if it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.