Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Sweet! I just noticed this thread.

After my husband and son went to Australia a few years ago for an eclipse, they've been total ecliptomaniacs. We're in the Bay Area, so the easiest place for us to go is central Oregon - on the east side of the Cascades in hopes of avoiding any cloud cover. We'll be staying at Eagle Creek Resort near Madras from the 19th to the 23rd if anyone is nearby.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
We'll be staying at a vacation rental cabin in Idaho near the West gate of Yellowstone..
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
For the BNA-area folks, started a separate thread in the "US-South" forum about a possible get-together on the 20th:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-together.html
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Zorak
For the BNA-area folks, started a separate thread in the "US-South" forum about a possible get-together on the 20th:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-together.html
Great! Subscribed to that one too
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Who wants to come to my hometown of Charleston SC for the eclipse? I live 7 miles from the Isle of Palms ocean beach!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:16 am

duplicate to prior post
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
I'm in St. Louis area. It's supposed to be petty good here too.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I currently have a hotel booked in Portland, OR, going to drive down to Salem in the early hours most likely. Hopefully traffic won't be too atrocious and I actually make it there in time... The entire state of Oregon is pretty much booked out of hotels with the exception of Portland. Would've preferred Madras to optimize weather chances but Salem will do. Plus I've never actually been to Portland. Will be driving down from Canada on the 19th!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Why haven't I seen this before? Right now I'm planning to be on Lake Marion in SC with family from NC. If a hurricane is blowing through, then somewhere in MO.

Please check maps for the centerline and try to be as near as possible. If you are outside the line of totality then you will miss the entire show. You'll see a partial, but not the glory of a total eclipse. Astronomy magazine for August has great articles on the eclipse.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:21 pm

It's decided: I'll be at Wood River, NE for the eclipse, as I've volunteered to be the "expert speaker" (HA!) for the Crane Trust. Now let's hope for no clouds, and no glitches with my PowerPoint presentation...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Hoping to get on the Alaska Air flight to view the eclipse. I'll cross my fingers! haha
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Hoping to get on the Alaska Air flight to view the eclipse. I'll cross my fingers! haha
In a similar vein, I wonder if DL2466 PDX-ATL would have an interesting view? If it hits right, possibly a duration of about 6-8 minutes.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
airfares moderated a bit so i was able to massage my flight bookings. i'm now arriving in BOI at 7:15pm on the 20th, and departing at 3:00pm on the 21st. still planning to stay at the HIX in Ontario, Oregon on the night of the 20th.
schedule change and AS tried to have me leaving BOI at 8am on 8/21. fortunately, with a relatively painless call, I was able to get on a different late afternoon departure and cut my return trip down from 2 stops to 1. however, i was pretty jazzed to visit GEG airport briefly, which is no longer in the cards with my new routing.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I got an AS schedule change too that has my BOI-PDX exodus flight an hour earlier that evening. I redeemed DL in Feb just before the DL/AS contract was terminated and that was the only 12.5K option I saw. The other connection point would be SEA, and DL does have an evening BOI-SEA (which would be my IRROP backup). I can imagine the BOI exodus crowd atmosphere (which I had experienced at CNS in 2012) will only be "eclipsed" by PDX (a much bigger exodus), but not at SEA.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:41 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Anybody in Washington DC area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.