Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
hope you got better rates than the $681 referenced upthread
I booked for $140 today after seeing $681 on Friday and deciding to transfer in some UR instead. I used the mobile app, if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We just booked Charleston SC for April 20-23. Turn the lights out!

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
I need to edit mine. We will be in Jackson, WY. (Staying in Afton, WY the night before and driving to Jackson, WY the morning of the eclipse.)
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by annerj
If anyone ends up in Wyoming around grand teton let me know. Our cabin is a bit south of jackson and if we're around would love to meet up.
We are staying in Afton the night of the 20th. Driving into Jackson for the eclipse. After the event, we are headed to Provo then south to the Grand Canyon. Let us know (Will be four adults). Would be great fun!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Funny how some hotels have already figured this out and decided to try to make a fortune off it, whereas others probably wonder why the hell they're filling up on a random Sunday night 11 months from now...

I suspect at the end of the day, people won't pay $681 for an HIX. Prices will eventually fall back to near-normal. There are a few thousand miles along which to watch the eclipse and plenty of cities you could pick to spend the night before and/or after.
Oh yes. The Four Seasons Jackson, WY. 5 night minimum-$1680/night that week. Idaho Falls hotels Sold out. I tried the Caspar Courtyard. They did reservations only by phone. $550/night-no thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
My house is on the edge of the zone of totality in Nashville. The school I work at will be directly in the line of totality for 2 minutes 20 seconds, so I suspect I will be busy trying to convince students not to stare directly at the sun...
When looking at hotels in the Nashville area, further east and north will be better. Mt Juliet, Lebanon, Gallatin, even Hendersonville will be in total eclipse. There are a lot of hotel rooms from Nashville airport and Opryland and suburbs on the east side that will be in totality if anyone is looking here. Clarksville TN is another town with quite a few hotels that will see totality, with Hopkinsville KY just up the road.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm in Dayton, OH so I'm still debating between hitting the easy button and planning for KY or TN, or heading to perhaps OR or ID in hopes of better weather odds. I also could make a small trip out of a stay in OR/ID and do some sightseeing in certain areas in the region prior to hitting a spot for the eclipse itself on the 21st. Definitely planning to go somewhere to see totality though.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The sun is going to fairly high up (anywhere over the US)
Not along the West coast. The event will be between 10:00 and 10:30 in Oregon.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:31 pm Reason: Corrected for correct time zone correction
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not along the West coast. The event will be between 9:00 and 9:30 in Oregon.
at Newport (on the coast; the first contact of the shadow with land) the partial phase begins shortly after 0900PDT and totality begins at 1015PDT

info from Eclipse2017.org
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jrl767
at Newport (on the coast; the first contact of the shadow with land) the partial phase begins shortly after 0900PDT and totality begins at 1015PDT
(forehead smack) Right, UTC-7 not UTC-8. But the sun will still not be "fairly high up".

(NASA's map is the best I've found.)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked a placeholder trip for extended weekend staying in west yellowstone - will drive down mon morning to perhaps driggs or sonewhere nearby...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm

Going to be graduating college in May 2017, no clue where my job will take me/if I will be self sufficient with my business. Hopefully I get to go, but I can't book this far advance. The numbers will have to work, but being based in Chicago I can take an easy St Louis trip or even KC/BNA for flying.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Smile Jackson WY

Hwy 89 crosses the center of the eclipse path. So is the airport, parking lot is just off center path of the eclipse. I might consider the Gros Ventre Rd as it will probably be less crowded. Will just be there a couple of days since I will be finishing off my 1K mileage run later that week by doing a 2 day trip to SIN. Will be at about 1.5 million miles on UA. Hope they have a Polaris seat on that 787 but I think it is only going on their triple 7's
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just read about this in the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...cc0_story.html

My first thought was also Jackson Hole, but summer accommodations are tight there in the best of times, and it seems basically impossible now for the eclipse (at least at any price I'd be willing to pay).

I then thought about Nashville, which I haven't visited in a few years, and was thinking of planning a visit anyway. Supposedly near the best viewing -- at least if it's not cloudy! Lots of hotel rooms near BNA, and they tend to be cheap. I was able to book the last award room at a HIX north of town (the best viewing is north of town), but I'm sure there are still other options. I wouldn't wait, though -- lots of hotels have figured this out, and already jacked their room rates "sky high". I'm still not 100% sure we'll go, but I think it probable. And no risk holding a cancelable reservation.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is zero hotel availability in Casper, WY, except for a Super 8 charging over $1000/night.

The city of Casper is converting one of their parks into a campground. $125 for five nights in a 20x20 tent site. I was able to grab two sites today for my family and my sister's family.

They are also converting the town's arena's parking lot into a RV Park. $300 for five nights.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:59 pm

I'll either be near Beatrice, NE or Grand Island, NE for the eclipse. The weather forecast the night before will be the tiebreaker in terms of where I go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.