Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Another airport to fly into is Evansville, Indiana (EVV). It is only about 75 minutes north of Hopkinsville, KY, and about 2 hours east of Carbondale, IL. Plenty of Marriott availability for that weekend.

One additional option if you have UA miles would be Paducah, KY (PAH)--about equal distance to Hopkinsville and Carbondale.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 6, 2016 at 11:47 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Rural Missouri for us. Probably camping in central Missouri...unless the weather forecast suggests we go north. From KC, we can easily go either direction (north or east) depending on weather...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why not? It is sunny and cloudless now.
Also, if it is cloudy then you could just drive to the mountains and watch from there.
High humidity and a lot of precipitation tend not to make for great viewing. Mountains are not really high enough to get above the clouds.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Apparently not: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/solareclipse...ille&height=10

Duration of Totality: 1m 58.2s
Magnitude: 1.005
Obscuration: 100.0%
Cool site.

For Marshall, MO, it's...

Duration 2h 54m 29.0s
Duration of Totality 2m 41.1s
Magnitude 1.014
Obscuration 100.0%

Approx. 1:10PM CDT is the time of day.

Do I care about the Magnitude?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Do I care about the Magnitude?
No, as long as it is ≥ 1.0
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
For now, I reserved a room at the HIX in Ontario, Oregon for the night of 8/20. It is about 90 minutes from BOI.

The asking price was $681 but I paid 15K IHG to reserve the space for now. I will get a room the night of 8/21 in BOI, or more likely, just fly back that night after the show is over as totality is around 11:30am in eastern Oregon.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm within driving distance, so I'll probably make a call the night before, based on the weather, as to whether I get up early and make the drive. I'm sure I can pull over on the side of the road somewhere in the middle of central-nowehere-southern-US.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:53 pm

Funny how some hotels have already figured this out and decided to try to make a fortune off it, whereas others probably wonder why the hell they're filling up on a random Sunday night 11 months from now...

I suspect at the end of the day, people won't pay $681 for an HIX. Prices will eventually fall back to near-normal. There are a few thousand miles along which to watch the eclipse and plenty of cities you could pick to spend the night before and/or after.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone ends up in Wyoming around grand teton let me know. Our cabin is a bit south of jackson and if we're around would love to meet up.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm divided whether to drive all the way up to Casper from Denver on 8/19 or just park it in Cheyenne. If I do the latter, I then have a better option to jump east towards the Scottsbluff area in case cloud cover becomes an issue. Traffic on southbound 25 will be BRUTAL that Monday afternoon.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread really isn't about meeting up (annerj's post excluded). It's just about where you plan on going to watch the eclipse.

That said, Wyoming Parks Department is planning all sorts of Eclipse-related activities. I may try to snag a campsite at Glendo State Park.

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Press/SolarEclipse.aspx
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Wherever I am I intend to be High
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Funny how some hotels have already figured this out and decided to try to make a fortune off it, whereas others probably wonder why the hell they're filling up on a random Sunday night 11 months from now...

I suspect at the end of the day, people won't pay $681 for an HIX. Prices will eventually fall back to near-normal. There are a few thousand miles along which to watch the eclipse and plenty of cities you could pick to spend the night before and/or after.
Interestingly the price increases for at least a couple of Nashville Marriotts I checked but only for Monday. I would have thought that it'd go up both days or something.

In any case, I reserved in Nashville for now. I can cancel and reserve elsewhere if something else firms up. ^
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be happy to attend a do if the probability of reasonable weather was good. This seems like a nice excuse to visit a new place in the US. However I would prefer somewhere near an airport, not a campsite in the middle of nowhere. This is largely because I prefer not to drive for hours and hours unless I really have to.

I dimly remember watching the total eclipse in Cornwall in 1999, it was completely cloudy right up until a minute or so before totality.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I have a reservation in Nashville; hotel will get ~1 min 50 sec of total eclipse. I will also have a car as I plan to visit friends in the area before/after the eclipse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.