Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 12:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Thanks to all those that have completed the registration and paid so far!

For those that haven't, we have to confirm final numbers to vendors by the 15th (NZ time - so 14th US time). If you haven't paid by then, there is a very real possibility you may miss out on some or all of the activities as we can not guarantee a spot after that time. Please register and pay ASAP to ensure you aren't disappointed!

serfty - I figured we would just collect the $5 on the day as some people probably aren't yet sure if they will need/want to take the bus locally. We can either take cash or charge a CC for the $5 at the time. A lot of the hotels are extremely close so you may decide you don't need to take the bus once you get there
Old May 10, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by wijomas
Thanks to all those that have completed the registration and paid so far! ...

serfty - I figured we would just collect the $5 on the day as some people probably aren't yet sure if they will need/want to take the bus locally. We can either take cash or charge a CC for the $5 at the time. A lot of the hotels are extremely close so you may decide you don't need to take the bus once you get there
Will, I hope you can split the bills in the event I want to ride the bus but let Kathy walk. Seriously, you folks have done a great job and we're looking forward to it. ^

Incidentally, we were en route to Oz Fest as of May 7, U.S. PDT. Can anybody top that? Should we be proud or embarrassed? I already know the answer to that one.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:42 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Fredd
Will, I hope you can split the bills in the event I want to ride the bus but let Kathy walk.
I think it'll be the other way around!

Incidentally, we were en route to Oz Fest as of May 7, U.S. PDT. Can anybody top that? Should we be proud or embarrassed? I already know the answer to that one.
Are you swimming down here?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by wijomas
Are you swimming down here?
Currently swimming between Happy Hours in HNL.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You beat me. I leave Monday after work
Old May 10, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
we leave home on Tuesday and we are just across the ditch! 😳👍
Old May 10, 2015, 8:07 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Just paid for all activities (return bus, dinner at Alfresco's and both activities) for myself and +1.

Can the organisers kindly pinpoint exactly (preferably on a map ) the location of the 1pm bus pickup from Auckland airport on Friday 22 May? Many thanks^
Old May 10, 2015, 9:43 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by kpc
Can the organisers kindly pinpoint exactly (preferably on a map ) the location of the 1pm bus pickup from Auckland airport on Friday 22 May? Many thanks^
Unless anyone needs a pickup from the domestic terminal, it will be from the bus area at international which is at the far eastern end. Come out of Customs/Immigration, turn right, and keep walking until there is no more building. Go outside, and there'll be a bunch of busses - one of them will be ours!

Old May 10, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There may be a domestic need, I believe some are flying up from Nelson (although they can take the int/dom transfer bus ... or even do the 15 minute [max] walk).

Last edited by serfty; May 10, 2015 at 11:22 pm
Old May 10, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There will be four or five of us arriving at the domestic terminal with a scheduled arrival time from NSN at 11:50. By the time we collect our baggage and get out the door it may very well be difficult for us to get over to the international terminal by 1PM.

Therefore, the request is now being made that at 13:05 or so, the bus make an extra stop at the domestic terminal to pick up the late arrivals.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monitor
There will be four or five of us arriving at the domestic terminal with a scheduled arrival time from NSN at 11:50. By the time we collect our baggage and get out the door it may very well be difficult for us to get over to the international terminal by 1PM.
So long as the NSN flight is on time that will be OK. Probably better to walk (follow the line) as the Oz Fest bus pick up is at the end nearest the domestic terminal. Inter terminal shuttle drops you more towards the other end of the International terminal.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum

Therefore, the request is now being made that at 13:05 or so, the bus make an extra stop at the domestic terminal to pick up the late arrivals.
Hi. As stated a few times upthread (though I am sure it is lost in the other posts ), we will ensure that you are taken care of the that the bus won't leave.

I will talk to the bus company and see what they can do about an additional stop. No guarantees.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:34 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Dinner at Euro (in Auckland CBD) on Sunday May 24th at 8pm

http://www.eurobar.co.nz/

We have now 20 diners confirmed for dinner at Euro on Sunday 24 May at 8pm:
kpc, kpc+1, BOB W, restlessinRNO, gvdIAD, falconea, falconea+1, chchkiwi, fifa, fifa+1, monitor, Franny, ac777, spaceman, bdnyc, Top of climb, Top of climb + 1, JessicaTam, upup&away and Efrem

We currently have 2 tables so we can maintain flexibility as if we have one long table, we all have to eat a set menu. This way we can order a la carte if we wish. The booking is under my real name...if you don't know it, I'm sure you will know by the end of the weekend's festivities!

To make life easier, can everyone bring cash on the night to cover their own meals and drink (+ small tip say 10%)....as not everyone drinks, we will NOT be dividing the final bill by the number of diners

If anyone else wants to join us (or wants to cancel), please PM me ASAP...I will be ringing the restaurant (hopefully for the last time) this Friday (NZ time) 15th May to confirm final numbers@:-)

Last edited by kpc; May 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm Reason: add Efrem
Old May 10, 2015, 9:56 pm
In memoriam

Don't worry - you'll have plenty of time. On those flights there isn't even any such thing as security screening, and you'll watch the checked luggage being pulled in to the terminal along side you as you walk inside

As Christy says, we'll ask about the extra stop, but plan on either walking or taking the free inter-terminal bus to international. We know who's meant to be on the bus and I know what most of you look like so we'll make sure to find everyone
Old May 12, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Very regrettably, due to some unforseen family reasons, Margo and I will not be able to make it to this ozfest #12.

Will just not work sadly, and apologies to the hard working organisers - but great to see the starter list will still be ~45, with some Gold and Silvers in the wings, that history shows some of whom will sign up last minute anyway –

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23649280-post4.html

A great shame we cannot join our very many global FT friends for this one in NZ, and until now I’ve been lucky enough to have attended all previous 11 ozfests, and indeed ran many of them, starting with #1 in 2003.

They are a great weekend tradition, the longest running global event on FT, and have been a huge and consistent success, with MANY folks flying 10,000 miles each way, each year, to be part of it, and this one will continue that fine tradition, I am 100% sure.

We’ll raise a glass to 'absent friends', and I am sure will catch up with many of you before too much more time passes, at FT events scattered all over the globe. ^

Glen and Margo

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

History Of Oz Fests click here for the map

Oz Fest 01: 2004 22 attended in Sydney [how it all started The very first]
Oz Fest 02: 2005
58 attended in Sydney
Oz Fest 03: 2006
28 attended in Brisbane
Oz Fest 04: 2007
47 attended in Melbourne
Oz Fest 05: 2008
38 attended in Hobart
Oz Fest 06: 2009
59 attended in Cairns
Oz Fest 07: 2010
71 attended in Adelaide
Oz Fest 08: 2011
44 attended in Darwin
Oz Fest 09: 2012
51 attended in Canberra
Oz Fest 10: 2013
59 attended in Perth
Oz Fest 11: 2014
37 attended in Alice Springs-Ayers Rock

209 individual FTer's have attended Oz Fest 1 to Oz Fest 11 inclusive at an average of 2.41 per person, Up to and including Oz Fest 11

11 :-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-: FTer for attending all 11 previous Oz Fests
ozstamps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.