Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'll update mine as well. Citi-> Qantas transfer finally posted today after 10 days.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:36 am

VS datapoint

VS is apparently not always instant (or quick). I initiated a transfer 4 days ago and nothing so far. I wonder if the amount of points matters for the transfer time?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:31 pm

Anyone else having delays transferring to KrisFlyer? Initiated a transfer Wednesday night Eastern time and it still hasn't shown up. Normally it's 12-24 hours max. Going on 3 days here and afraid the flight I want is going to disappear.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Anyone else having delays transferring to KrisFlyer? Initiated a transfer Wednesday night Eastern time and it still hasn't shown up. Normally it's 12-24 hours max. Going on 3 days here and afraid the flight I want is going to disappear.
Yes, I am having the exact same issue! How long did it take in the end?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:17 pm
fjk

Originally Posted by cschmae
VS is apparently not always instant (or quick). I initiated a transfer 4 days ago and nothing so far. I wonder if the amount of points matters for the transfer time?
I was waiting for mine to show up online too, so I called and the agent had my new balance! It may have been instant (I called about 30 minutes later, refreshing and hoping it would be instant), but it never showed online. I also only received an "order has been placed" email from citi and not a final confirmation.

So perhaps the website just hasnt been updated for you but your balance is there?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by stvr
Yes, I am having the exact same issue! How long did it take in the end?
Ended up taking 4-5 days... initiated transfer Wednesday evening (ET), hadn't posted as of Saturday afternoon - didn't check on Sunday but by Monday afternoon they were there.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:46 pm

How long to transfer TYP to Singapore Air?

I was looking to use my miles to upgrade SQ flight.
How long does it take for the transfer to register onto my krisflyer account?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took me about 4 days when I did it 3 weeks ago.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:47 am

Took mine about one day or so.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised this hasn't shown up on FT yet, but back on 7 Nov DoC broke the news (I only check the DoC site once a week, which is why I didn't discover it until today):
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Update on Flying Blue.
Transfer took less than 4 hours after I added 00 to the front of my 10 digit FB number.
My initial transfer 5 days ago with my 10 digit FB number went nowhere. TY wants a 12 digit FB number so be sure to add 00.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Recent Data on TYP transfers

Hi Does anyone have any recent data on timing of TYP transfers to Asia Miles? Submitted a request around 10 pm last night and just curious about how long i should expect it to take?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:47 am

Has Citi ever offered transfer bonuses to Air France's Flying Blue ff program?
  • ?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Data point on Avianca Lifemiles - did an initial test transfer of 2k that was instant followed by another 78k that was also instant.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:23 pm

Anyone have a hunch for when another VS transfer bonus may pop up again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.