Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)

Subscribe
Quote: It would be nice if OP can confirm they didn't hold another AA card (besides the Exec from 9 days ago) in the last ~18 months, so we can positively conclude the denial was due to Exec and not another previous AA card.
Yes this is my first AA card. This is the first I'm hearing of this change otherwise I would have applied for the Plat card first. I guess my next move is to get the 100k again in 50 days if it's still around.
Quote: When you open a business card, Citi sets up a 'master account' and then the actual card account under that. Both need to be closed when you close the card, to prevent problems down the road.

Only problem with this as it happen to my brother, NOT all reps knows about the master acct, they often only see or know about the regular biz or card acct. there is no way of actually knowing if they did wipe the entire slate clean even if you tell them to. They claim to have done so for my brother but they only closed the regular acct. as he found out when he reapply and got denied.
Quote: Friend, you really need to read the wiki. This is discussed in entry #1.
Thanks, I read that, just had no idea what it meant.

Side note: if I'm parsing this correct, each master account can have 2 concurrent Biz cards under em or no such limits?

Quote: When you open a business card, Citi sets up a 'master account' and then the actual card account under that. Both need to be closed when you close the card, to prevent problems down the road.

We do now have multiple datapoints on Exec cards resetting the Platinum clock. If you can do the spending and/or fees, I'd keep going with Executive cards. I personally have never gotten around to opening an AA business card
Quote: Only problem with this as it happen to my brother, NOT all reps knows about the master acct, they often only see or know about the regular biz or card acct. there is no way of actually knowing if they did wipe the entire slate clean even if you tell them to. They claim to have done so for my brother but they only closed the regular acct. as he found out when he reapply and got denied.
I see, speaking of which are we privy to that Master Acct #? As in does it show up along side our billing/statement or online when we view our Biz card account? With all it's nuances would like to have that as a handy reference!
The last 4 digits of the master account are listed when you access your account online. Cancel using secure message, and be sure to specify the last 4 digits for both the credit card and the master account. When I got my 2nd business card, I omitted the EIN I used on the first application. Not sure if this was the reason for my success, and am currently contemplating how I can get a 3rd card in the next month or two.
Quick question, my girl friend just being approved for her first AA plat. However, she apply for an lower offer for 35k miles after 1.5k spending. Since I can easily help her to spend 3k in 3 months, would Citi help matches the higher offer of 50k for 3k spending? I saw a few in the 100k exec thread did that with the Citi Exec card, does anyone tried that for the AA plat card? I am thinking maybe I will simply send a SM and see how things go.
-Pete
Quote: Side note: if I'm parsing this correct, each master account can have 2 concurrent Biz cards under em or no such limits?
Each master account can have however many "employee" accounts under it. For most people though it is just one "Physical card" that is the card being mailed to you. But you can certainly get another card under the Master Account if you choose to. The total credit limit remains the SAME that is granted to the master account.

Quote: I see, speaking of which are we privy to that Master Acct #? As in does it show up along side our billing/statement or online when we view our Biz card account? With all it's nuances would like to have that as a handy reference!
They are NOT listed side by side, but toggle between tabs. It is very easy to identify which account is the master account by the last 4 digits - that should be DIFFERENT from the plastic in your hand.
Quote: Quick question, my girl friend just being approved for her first AA plat. However, she apply for an lower offer for 35k miles after 1.5k spending. Since I can easily help her to spend 3k in 3 months, would Citi help matches the higher offer of 50k for 3k spending? I saw a few in the 100k exec thread did that with the Citi Exec card, does anyone tried that for the AA plat card? I am thinking maybe I will simply send a SM and see how things go.
-Pete
As far as I know,
If you had signed up for a lesser offer but with the same spend requirements then you could send them a SM and they would match the better offer.
However, if the spend requirements are different they do not have the power to change it in favor of a different spend requirement offer.
Application Fails Due to "Missing" SSN
I've just tried to apply for the 50K Personal AA MC offer, using 2 browsers and incognito mode. The application always bounced back, saying I hadn't entered a SSN. Even typing in the SSN in a different order (first 3 digits, then last 4, the middle 2) didn't resolve the issue.

I have churned AA MCs quite a bit in the past. Is this failure possibly related to my churn history, or is it a known issue?
Quote: I've just tried to apply for the 50K Personal AA MC offer, using 2 browsers and incognito mode. The application always bounced back, saying I hadn't entered a SSN. Even typing in the SSN in a different order (first 3 digits, then last 4, the middle 2) didn't resolve the issue.

I have churned AA MCs quite a bit in the past. Is this failure possibly related to my churn history, or is it a known issue?
Based on your FT history, I'm assuming your churn history with this card is at least 12 months ago, and hopefully more like 18 months. And that you haven't applied for the AA Exec card yet either.

Before you do anything else, call Citi, and using your SSN# as ID, ask if they got your app. I've had supposedly "failed apps" in the past that actually went thru....

If they have no record of those apps, ask them to take your app on the phone. A phone app is a bit of a pain, as the CSR has to read you the full disclosure language that we usually ignore when applying online. But other than having to sit thru that, it's not really any worse.
Data point: called Citi (on an unrelated note), sorted an issue out, then thought about cancelling my cards (plat & select) which are in good standing with perfect payment history etc but not using em much since getting the Exec recently. I've had em for about 2 yrs now [more or less first time calling in for something.]

Instead CSR offered me AF refund/credit for this year on both cards that recently posted + 1k miles each month for the next 16mo that I spend $1k in aggregate that's 16k bonus miles + 16k from reg spending = 32k total miles (x2). other offer was no AF credit, and 3k miles for spending $500 in the next 3mo.

what are people's thoughts -- how have y'all been doing with retention offers and/or bonuses w/CitiAA?!
Quote: Data point: called Citi (on an unrelated note), sorted an issue out, then thought about cancelling my cards (plat & select) which are in good standing with perfect payment history etc but not using em much since getting the Exec recently. I've had em for about 2 yrs now [more or less first time calling in for something.]

Instead CSR offered me AF refund/credit for this year on both cards that recently posted + 1k miles each month for the next 16mo that I spend $1k in aggregate that's 16k bonus miles + 16k from reg spending = 32k total miles (x2). other offer was no AF credit, and 3k miles for spending $500 in the next 3mo.

what are people's thoughts -- how have y'all been doing with retention offers and/or bonuses w/CitiAA?!
There are lots of discussion about this
Citi retention offer thread

also, if you are about to redeem AA miles, you might want to do that before canceling your AA plat, because it will give you 10% miles rebate up to 10k but AA exec in fact didn't provide this benefits IIRC
Quote:

I call when my cards are 5 or 6 months old, take the AF credit and bonus miles offer and get the statement credit, and then decide at 11 months whether to cancel by SM or not.
I was just turned down for the platinum personal MasterCard. Rep said I have the executive card and they can only issue one aa card per account as this is a new policy. Any info on this?

I have had the executive since January 31, 2014. No other citi cards
I have an AA Executive card. According to FAQ 1, I have to wait 12-26 months before I apply for another AA personal card, right?
Quote: I was just turned down for the platinum personal MasterCard. Rep said I have the executive card and they can only issue one aa card per account as this is a new policy. Any info on this?

I have had the executive since January 31, 2014. No other citi cards
You cannot apply for Plat card after applying for Exec. You can apply for another Exec card if you follow the 8 days and 65 days rule.