Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Um, the whole point of this is that the screener in question found something questionable on the x-ray which required them to search through the pages of a book. But thanks for proving my point.
No, they found a something that looked on x-ray like it could be a solid block of explosives so they checked and found it was a book, a Bible. End of story. No need to go leafing through the pages.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Bombs can be hidden in hollowed out books.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TWA884
Which appear different on xray
https://renfulpremiertechnologies.fi...12/athens1.png
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Which should be easily seen on x-ray.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If TSA's x-ray machines can't penetrate a book then how could they penetrate something that is more dense such as a metal item? A hollowed out book would clearly be easier to view through by x-ray.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Nov 2, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Good question.

I have seen a TSO post that the reason books and blocks of cheese trigger secondaries is because they are made of dense, uniform organic material (books = paper = wood-based product. Supposedly to an inexperienced x-ray operator, a block of cheese, a book and a brick of explosive all look the same.

This is allegedly why TSA at a major Texas airport insisted on hand-inspecting commemorative souvenir books handed out to every single member of a very large women's organization. The majority of the attendees flew out on the same day, same book was given to everyone. Chaos at the checkpoint because of the delays. I suspect if a Red Team test had been conducted that day, they would have failed miserably because they were all focused on finding one single weaponized book out of hundreds.

Re: xrays penetrating books. It's hard for me to believe xrays can't penetrate books but they regularly penetrate metal canes and detect knives hidden inside

Or so the TSA Blog tells us.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Good question.

I have seen a TSO post that the reason books and blocks of cheese trigger secondaries is because they are made of dense, uniform organic material (books = paper = wood-based product. Supposedly to an inexperienced x-ray operator, a block of cheese, a book and a brick of explosive all look the same.

This is allegedly why TSA at a major Texas airport insisted on hand-inspecting commemorative souvenir books handed out to every single member of a very large women's organization. The majority of the attendees flew out on the same day, same book was given to everyone. Chaos at the checkpoint because of the delays. I suspect if a Red Team test had been conducted that day, they would have failed miserably because they were all focused on finding one single weaponized book out of hundreds.

Re: xrays penetrating books. It's hard for me to believe xrays can't penetrate books but they regularly penetrate metal canes and detect knives hidden inside

Or so the TSA Blog tells us.
Seems an intelligent person would realize that numerous books of the same type did not pose a threat and move on.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:44 pm

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...by-6415830.php

Security lines left the doors of Hobby Airport and traced part of the building's perimeter this morning as thousands of departing sorority sisters raised TSA suspicion with large books.

The Delta Sigma Theta Sorority held a convention in Houston this week, with about 13,000 sisters in attendance. On Thursday morning they headed home through Hobby.

"Apparently at the convention there were items they were given, which they had packed in their bags," said airport spokesman Bill Begley. "And as they were going through a check in process prompted a secondary search by the TSA."That turned into a lot of secondary searches conducted by hand by the Transportation Security Administration.

Begley could not say what the item was, and the TSA did not immediately respond to an inquiry. KHOU reports the suspicious items where thick booklets which apparently resembled explosives when packed in the bags.

Lines began backing up around 10 a.m., and by noon TSA called in extra employees to help with the burdened screening process.

"Airlines were working very hard with passengers to make sure they were comfortable," Begley said.

By 1 p.m., the lines had dwindled. No explosives were found.
Note: for those folks advocating profiling, these were sorority sisters, all women, all American, no burqas, no Arabic flash cards, no over-frosted un-American cupcakes. Just thousands of women all carrying a copy of the same large paperback souvenir book.

Sounds exactly like a terrorist plot, right?

Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't accuse those folks of being intelligent.

Seems simple, what is the common item that is causing all of the issues? A book, lots of the same books. Seems simple to me. But I don't see a terrorist plot behind every 3.5 ounce container of water either.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I didn't accuse those folks of being intelligent.

Seems simple, what is the common item that is causing all of the issues? A book, lots of the same books. Seems simple to me. But I don't see a terrorist plot behind every 3.5 ounce container of water either.
Gotta love the part about them calling in additional TSOs to hand screen every single one of those books.

Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gotta love the part about them calling in additional TSOs to hand screen every single one of those books.
I refer back to my comment in post #67.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by petaluma1
More instances like this could be fallout from TSA getting into train and bus stations:

http://www.toddstarnes.com/column/ts...-pastors-bible

Just another Todd Starnes dog-whistle rant.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just curious, are there any indications that demonstrate we need more security for bus/train transportation systems?

Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...by-6415830.php

Note: for those folks advocating profiling, these were sorority sisters, all women, all American, no burqas, no Arabic flash cards, no over-frosted un-American cupcakes. Just thousands of women all carrying a copy of the same large paperback souvenir book.

Sounds exactly like a terrorist plot, right?
Their biggest crime was Flying While Black. ΔΣΘ is a world-class honorary sororiety with a pretty impressive "famous members" list.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What could a TSA screener imagine they would find between the leaves of any book that would be WEI?
Here's TSA's rationale:
Books frequently require additional inspection after X-ray screening, as explosives & other items can be disguised inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.