Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Isn't part of the security in certain stations already TSA? I'm fairly certain I've seen them in 30th Street station in Philadelphia and Penn Station in NYC. NYC also has security personnel in camo uniforms with serious weapons and regular sweeps with the dog teams - not sure exactly who those two belong to.
TSA has oversight since it's a transportation mode. However they only are there to oversee, nothing else. The local PD and in some states the National Guard are the ones patrolling the stations.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by flyerCO
TSA has oversight since it's a transportation mode. However they only are there to oversee, nothing else. The local PD and in some states the National Guard are the ones patrolling the stations.
They're doing more than 'overseeing' when their hands are between my legs and inside my pants.

Unlike TSA, I don't think the local PD or the National Guard are authorized to grope me as a pre-condition for boarding a train or a bus.

Not yet, anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
They're doing more than 'overseeing' when their hands are between my legs and inside my pants.

Unlike TSA, I don't think the local PD or the National Guard are authorized to grope me as a pre-condition for boarding a train or a bus.

Not yet, anyway.
TSA doesn't currently do screening at train stations. Thus I don't know whom is groping you.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA doesn't currently do screening at train stations. Thus I don't know whom is groping you.
A few years ago, TSA got a bit of pushback when it set up screening at an Amtrak station without warning. They even forced arriving passengers to route through the 'sterile' area and a screening instead of going straight from the train to the parking lot.

What that demonstrated is that TSA's authority to grope people extends beyond the airport. The head of Amtrak was a bit hot at the time, mostly about forcing the arriving passengers to undergo a completely unnecessary screening, but no one ever questioned their authority to do the searches. No WTMDS, but they were using wands and hands.

If I approach a train station and I see National Guard or local LEs, I am confident that they're not going to be frisking me without cause.

If I approach a train station and see TSA, I do believe that they have the authority to grope and I believe they will use it. As they already have.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

This week TSA staff (recognized by emblems on uniform) were doing ticket checks at 30th Street Amtrak in Philadelphia. Did not witness them doing more than that.

No discernable logo on the dog handler's uniform, so still can't say to which entity he belongs.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
This week TSA staff (recognized by emblems on uniform) were doing ticket checks at 30th Street Amtrak in Philadelphia. Did not witness them doing more than that.

No discernable logo on the dog handler's uniform, so still can't say to which entity he belongs.
Harassment-free travel today on AMTRAK from Union Station to Albany via Penn Station. Not a clerk in sight and I don't recall even seeing a Port Authority cop at Penn Station.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I once encountered them getting onto the Hyannis- Nantucket ferry. Some sort of one-day (random) operation which thankfully turned out perfunctory rather than metal detectors, massive bag searches, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:04 am

Does ATSA - enabling statue that created TSA - provide authority for TSA to conduct Administrative searches at any place/space other than an Airport?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Does ATSA - enabling statue that created TSA - provide authority for TSA to conduct Administrative searches at any place/space other than an Airport?
49 USC 114 (note: "Under Secretary" means the TSA Administrator)

(d)Functions.—The Under Secretary shall be responsible for security in all modes of transportation, including—
(1) carrying out chapter 449, relating to civil aviation security, and related research and development activities; and
(2) security responsibilities over other modes of transportation that are exercised by the Department of Transportation.

<redacted>

49 USC 44901

(a)In General.—
The Under Secretary of Transportation for Security shall provide for the screening of all passengers and property, including United States mail, cargo, carry-on and checked baggage, and other articles, that will be carried aboard a passenger aircraft operated by an air carrier or foreign air carrier in air transportation or intrastate air transportation. In the case of flights and flight segments originating in the United States, the screening shall take place before boarding and shall be carried out by a Federal Government employee (as defined in section 2105 of title 5, United States Code), except as otherwise provided in section 44919 or 44920 and except for identifying passengers and baggage for screening under the CAPPS and known shipper programs and conducting positive bag-match programs.

(b)Supervision of Screening.—

<redacted>

(c)Checked Baggage.—

<redacted>

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 18, 2016 at 8:18 pm Reason: Copyright violation (https://www.law.cornell.edu/lii/terms/documentation)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Warning to TSA: Don't Even Think About "Securing" the MARC Brunswick Line

The title speaks for itself. I can't comment on the behavior of conformist suburbanites from Germantown inward. But, if the TSA ever dares to screen MARC passengers anywhere west, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be casualties.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:28 am

The planned trials will take place over two months at Union Station in Washington DC, Denver International Airport, and a station in the LA Metro rail network.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/end-to-...body-scanners/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Evolv scanners are capable of scanning 800 people an hour,

​The speed of Evolv scanners is on par with existing TSA-approved scanners,
So which statement is true? I certainly do not believe that TSA's current MMW Whole Body Scanners can screen 800 people per hour.

Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So which statement is true? I certainly do not believe that TSA's current MMW Whole Body Scanners can screen 800 people per hour.
In theory, MMW can probably scan about 600 people per hour, but that's in theory only. It seems using this new thingamajig people will just walk through and not have to "assume the position" so maybe 800 people per hour is reasonable. Reasonable, that is, until the TSA gets its grubby hands on this technology and stops everyone who has anything in their pockets.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
In theory, MMW can probably scan about 600 people per hour, but that's in theory only. It seems using this new thingamajig people will just walk through and not have to "assume the position" so maybe 800 people per hour is reasonable. Reasonable, that is, until the TSA gets its grubby hands on this technology and stops everyone who has anything in their pockets.
TSA's current batch of Whole Body Scanners take about 10 seconds a person for each scan. That includes loading and unloadiing and that works out to less than 400 scans per hour. This new company claims to be on par with current TSA scanners and the ability to scan 800 people per hour. On par or 800, both cannot be true.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Oct 27, 2016 at 3:38 pm
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA's current batch of Whole Body Scanners take about 10 seconds a person for each scan. That includes loading and unloadiing and that works out to less than 400 scans per hour. This new company claims to be on par with current TSA scanners and the ability to scan 800 people per hour. On par or 800, both cannot be true.
I did some checking over the weekend about the passenger capacity of a single AMTRAK Northeast Regional train. (I don't have the time to post all the links from AMTRAK and other websites.) I found that the average train holds in excess of 700 people. At Union Station in DC, there is about one train per hour during the day all leaving through the same boarding location. If you believe the through-put of these devices and completely exclude the citizens who will be pulled out of line and harassed, they will never do this without a major disruption to the very fragile AMTRAK system. If they go through with this at Union Station, even in a "trial mode," I will simply catch the train at the New Carrollton Metro station.

We always figure the TSA stood a good chnace of killing commercial aviation. But, it looks like they will kill passenger rail instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.