Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This might be a criminal matter. The dog certainly should not be used around people.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Managed Inclusion, expedited screening is a process not a location.

As for manipulating the dogs, they do search for explosive compounds. Compounds which are found in common household items. So while a dogs alert catalog may not be a karge as an ETD....both dog and ETD alert on common household items that share ingredients with explosives

Last edited by gingersnaps; Jun 27, 2016 at 10:19 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I find it hard to believe that there are no chemicals found in most explosives that are unique to explosives and not also common in hand lotion, soaps, contact lens solutions, and so forth.

If the chemical being detected is so common that it is used in thousands of normal everyday products then that detection method is flawed, the detection method is not detecting explosives or explosive precursors but common everyday items.
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yeah, but a dog is not a machine. It's a living thing with a nose and a brain, and although it's not at human-level intelligence, a dogs brain IS capable of making finer fuzz-logic distinctions than a machine, which is pretty much binary.

Pup7 will have to chime in on this, because I'm not an expert, but I don't believe that dogs are trained to sniff the chemical precursors of explosives, as the chemical tests in an ETD machine do. Rather, dogs are trained to sniff for whole substances, such as TNT, C4, etc., which have distinct odors. I am doubtful that a dog will alert on lotion with glycerine in it, but the dog WILL alert to nitroglycerine, if trained to do so.

Household Items that Contain Explosive Compounds: A Guide for Explosive-Detecting Canine Handlers

by John V. Goodpaster, Ph.D. ATF Forensic Science Laboratory

INTRODUCTION

A common question posed by canine trainers and handlers centers on everyday materials to which explosive-detecting canines have alerted. The phenomenon of false alerts is not unheard of and can arise due to improper recognition of a material by the canine. ...

The ATF has successfully imprinted and certified numerous explosive-detecting canines on concentrated hydrogen peroxide. Unfortunately, the fact that lower levels of hydrogen peroxide have legitimate uses in a number of consumer products means that these items may illicit a canine alert.

CONCLUSIONS

Explosive-detecting canines are called upon to find hidden explosives in a variety of environments. Unfortunately, explosive compounds are not only found in explosive formulations but in a number of legitimate consumer products. Given that a canine cannot discern this difference, it is up to the canine handler and other first responders to be aware of these products and put a canine alert in its proper context.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Household Items that Contain Explosive Compounds: A Guide for Explosive-Detecting Canine Handlers

by John V. Goodpaster, Ph.D. ATF Forensic Science Laboratory

INTRODUCTION

A common question posed by canine trainers and handlers centers on everyday materials to which explosive-detecting canines have alerted. The phenomenon of false alerts is not unheard of and can arise due to improper recognition of a material by the canine. ...

The ATF has successfully imprinted and certified numerous explosive-detecting canines on concentrated hydrogen peroxide. Unfortunately, the fact that lower levels of hydrogen peroxide have legitimate uses in a number of consumer products means that these items may illicit a canine alert.

CONCLUSIONS

Explosive-detecting canines are called upon to find hidden explosives in a variety of environments. Unfortunately, explosive compounds are not only found in explosive formulations but in a number of legitimate consumer products. Given that a canine cannot discern this difference, it is up to the canine handler and other first responders to be aware of these products and put a canine alert in its proper context.
Which leads to excessive false positives and excessive hand searches that requires excessive employees. TSA=Excess!

The methodology is flawed.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Which leads to excessive false positives and excessive hand searches that requires excessive employees [1]. TSA=Excess!

The methodology is flawed [2].
The criticism is flawed both in its simplicity and understanding.

[1] Most ED handlers are not DHS employees but law enforcement officers of airport or mass transit LEAs; their positions would exist irregardless of the canine program. (Yes, I know irregardless is not English).

[2] As stated previously: the dogs (and machines for that matter) are used for initial screening to only indicate the presence of a potential threat. It is up to humans to investigate and determine the reality of the threat.

Using the dogs is not dissimilar from having passport and customs inspectors ask a few screening questions; based upon the responses to those screening questions more investigation may be needed to determine if some-one/-thing is permissible to enter or under what conditions.

Even with their limitations, the dogs are exponentially more sensitive, efficient and reliable at this basic screening than are humans. (Screener: "Do you have explosives in your pants?" Pax: "No." S: "Oh, so you are just happy to see me. Great! Please board on the plane. Next!" vs. Dog: Screens 200 pax in 5 minutes and sits down in front of the one with a panty liner made of Semtex)
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
The criticism is flawed both in its simplicity and understanding.

[1] Most ED handlers are not DHS employees but law enforcement officers of airport or mass transit LEAs; their positions would exist irregardless of the canine program. (Yes, I know irregardless is not English).

[2] As stated previously: the dogs (and machines for that matter) are used for initial screening to only indicate the presence of a potential threat. It is up to humans to investigate and determine the reality of the threat.

Using the dogs is not dissimilar from having passport and customs inspectors ask a few screening questions; based upon the responses to those screening questions more investigation may be needed to determine if some-one/-thing is permissible to enter or under what conditions.

Even with their limitations, the dogs are exponentially more sensitive, efficient and reliable at this basic screening than are humans. (Screener: "Do you have explosives in your pants?" Pax: "No." S: "Oh, so you are just happy to see me. Great! Please board on the plane. Next!" vs. Dog: Screens 200 pax in 5 minutes and sits down in front of the one with a panty liner made of Semtex)
TSA has spent a lot of effort recently talking about how TSA is increasing its canine force. I have no reason to believe someone other than TSA employees will be the handlers.

If either a dog or other ETD screening method alerts on some substance and nothing is found then that is a false alarm and a waste of everyone's time.

If the initial screening method is more prone to alert and no contraband is found then the screening method is faulty. I believe that the ETD machines are more likely to alert on non-threats.

You may believe that I don't understand but I believe I have a firm grasp on the subject.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TSA unwilling to send their detection dogs to foreign locales more in need of them? Thinking of Istanbul/Turkey, for example.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

TSA has spent a lot of effort recently talking about how TSA is increasing its canine force. I have no reason to believe someone other than TSA employees will be the handlers.

If either a dog or other ETD screening method alerts on some substance and nothing is found then that is a false alarm and a waste of everyone's time.

If the initial screening method is more prone to alert and no contraband is found then the screening method is faulty. I believe that the ETD machines are more likely to alert on non-threats.

You may believe that I don't understand but I believe I have a firm grasp on the subject.
TSA dogs handlers are TSA Inspectors.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:15 pm

TSA dogs handlers are TSA Inspectors.
Some handlers of TSA ED dogs are TSA Inspectors; most handlers are police officers of airport or mass transit police departments.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some handlers of TSA ED dogs are TSA Inspectors; most handlers are police officers of airport or mass transit police departments.

Evidence?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

We've been through this before.

TSA Inspectors lead 322 canine teams, including all Passenger Screening Canine (PSC) teams,
https://www.tsa.gov/news/testimony/2...eland-security
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I call that evidence.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do TSA ED dogs find men who can't get it up?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:13 pm

TSA canine handlers who conduct managed inclusion ARE NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT in any way, shape, or form.

TSA canine handlers who operate Managed Inclusion have the same law enforcement authority as TSA screeners - which is zero
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:15 am

Profile on CBP cash detecting K9 at IAD

A recent profile of a currency detecting K9 assigned to IAD
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...399745791.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.