Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My passport has no mention of "race"/"ethnicity" on it.
But when the your government takes a census I think they do ask for your "race" (I agree with the parenthese, btw) Are they racist? When you apply for a university, they do ask for race - how else could they positively discriminate among students?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly.

Citizens of the Nordic countries may travel in the Nordic countries without a travel document but must be able to prove their identity on request. Documents accepted include a driving licence.

and

When arriving in Finland, a non-Finnish citizen must carry a passport. They will also need a visa unless they are exempt from the visa obligation under EU regulations. Citizens of most European Union member states may also use an ID card as their travel document.

So by Finnish law, no passport/ID, no entry for non-citizens (with the above proviso for NPU citizens who also must be able to prove their identity - except that they don't need a travel document to do so)

But as said enforcement is another question.

QED
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Citizens of the Nordic countries may travel in the Nordic countries without a travel document but must be able to prove their identity on request." That can be done -- and is done -- even without a passport or driving license in hand. Even without any physical ID in hand.

It's still being done when NPU citizens travel to Sweden without ID on a trip coming in from Denmark.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
But when the your government takes a census I think they do ask for your "race" (I agree with the parenthese, btw) Are they racist? When you apply for a university, they do ask for race - how else could they positively discriminate among students?
Irrelevant to these crossings.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Irrelevant to these crossings.
But not to your original posit:

Who cares about ethnic backgrounds, beside racists.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

But not to your original posit:
.... which was but a response to your post (#41 as it stands currently).

You know the post where you being by saying: "and on completely unrelated news".

If you're interested in that topic, open a thread on it. It's just not relevant to these crossings.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:43 am
Suspended

Who cares about ethnic backgrounds, beside racists. .
I agree. We should, however, care about ideological imperatives and violent ideology. Religion, especially the one we're talking about, is a lifestyle choice.

I'd prefer not to expose our gay friends, women and other minorities to the hate coming from one certain ideology/religion.

Also, stop pulling the OMG RACISTS!! CALL THE WAHHM-BULANCE! card. We Europeans have heard it for 15 years now and it only works in Germany and partly Sweden at this point.

I'll discuss the ideology in question as much as I please and fat chance at holierthanthou-Muricans stopping me.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The ID checks to cross the Swedish and Danish borders generally have nothing to do with checking people for ethnicity, religion or ideology. The relevant authorities at the Scandinavian ports of entry check that a person seems legally admissible into the country and/or is legally present in the country. It's but a flash check where each person checked is checked on average in less than 15 seconds and involves nothing more than trying to match an acceptable presented document's photo with the bearer of the document.

If the admissible person lacks an accepted ID document -- even if they have Scandinavian bloodlines going backing several hundred years -- then the check takes longer, but it is at the discretion of the authority doing the checking when it comes to NPU country's citizens.

When it comes to citizens of non-NPU Schengen countries and to non-EU/non-EEA citizens without ID to present, things are more iffy for this group at the Scandinavian ports of entry than it is for those who show up at the Scandinavian ports of entry asking for refugee status and present no ID.

Ethnicity, religion and ideology don't matter in terms of eligibility for legal admissibility and/or legal presence in the NPU countries -- much as that may disappoint some others -- unless one or more of those elements is being relied upon by an applicant for admissibility as part of an asylum/refugee claim on the basis of persecution for ethnic, religious or, in some cases, ideological affiliation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 15, 2015 at 5:30 am
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ethnicity, religion and ideology don't matter in terms of eligibility for legal admissibility and/or legal presence in the NPU countries
Again, no-one on this topic has said otherwise.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Again, no-one on this topic has said otherwise.
"Again, no-one on this topic has said otherwise".

How does the above assertion about some words (a fragment of my sentence) not being plagiarized relate to the topic of these ID checks?

Or what is your concern about the quoted words? Is it an expression of some kind of agreement or disagreement about how these ID checks function?

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 15, 2015 at 7:07 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Because of this "racist" issue, now the police are checking everyone at all times at the bridge - even though people like Mr. crossing the bridge daily to work. I think it's waste of time and resources.

All the need to stop these people from coming is to say something like you get no freebies for being here - tighten the rules and make your country less attractive, much better than the stupid border check.

When I said that I'll use "racism" as a joker, I mean that if they treated me unfairly I'll use it - not at border checks. Some Swedes tried to use other means to make people have different skin colour have a harder time - my kids school is an international school. We have a temporary campus because the kommun hasn't got somewhere to place the whole school. It looks pretty ugly and it blocks the view from the expensive properties nearby. Plus our school has more people with dark skin colour - well it's just like the real world society. There was a path like a road that lead up to the school and has 4 slots for cars to park. The school is next to a white Swedish dagis - so those slots are both taken by Swedes and international families. I was told by a emotionally unstable woman who claims that she lives nearby that some "international school" people drive like crazy and park everywhere and that kids are get knocked down bla bla bla. The funny thing was that I'm not white but she still told me that she dislikes the "international" school .Finally the kommun block the access to the school - they even sent a police car and handed out tickets to every single parent who drove up (I wasn't there but was told what happened).

That place was a great place to drop off kids because they can walk to the school safe. The nearby parking lot is constantly full and often taken by residences that park over the allowed limit.

One of my kommun's staff also told me they got a lot of child abuse cases reported in by the kid's neighbours - because they know it's a way to take revenge.

So I don't know when I'll get hit by this - if I do, I'll shine my joker and accuse those who accuses me "racist".
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Because of this "racist" issue, now the police are checking everyone at all times at the bridge - even though people like Mr. crossing the bridge daily to work. I think it's waste of time and resources.
How much more time is it taking him now than it was taking him say a month or two ago?

My drives across the bridge from Denmark into Sweden are not taking much longer than before, but I'm also usually going before or after rush hour.

My train rides across the bridge from Denmark into Sweden aren't taking more than a couple of minutes longer than before as long as I get off at Hyllie. But if I'm going further into Sweden by rail beyond Hyllie, it's anything from 3 minutes longer to 25 minutes longer than before; however, this can cascade into other problems with making onward connections.

Things go faster when the border control-assigned police are busy taking a break in packs at the Emporia shopping mall. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them will be moving into a Hyllie hotel that is opening up next month, as it seems various hotels have landed a contract to house the police in various parts of Malmo. This eats into award night availability for hotel rooms.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:25 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He said non-rush hour, stop and then wave passport and then go. Rush hour up to 5 minutes.

Not a big deal but still crazy - last time we were 5 in the car and it certainly took longer because they have to verified the faces for 5 people.

This is between 2 EU countries - not between anywhere and Switzerland - saw the queues going from D/F into Basel (I know it's for other reasons) when we were there and we thought - great we don't have this BS.

Open you heart - and now close the border and bother everyone, and Sweden is going to print money to fund the cost of this. Let's see whether SEK/NOK has a lower value in a year's time - maybe it will get back to the EPIC 100 SEK for 70 DKK.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The Swedish government this morning is pushing for a three year authorization to mandate ID checks for all Oresundsbro bridge traffic to Sweden and also for all ferry traffic to Sweden. Either way, at least a six month authorization period for such intra-Schengen ID checks is almost certainly going to become law in Sweden.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Swedish government this morning is pushing for a three year authorization to mandate ID checks for all Oresundsbro bridge traffic to Sweden and also for all ferry traffic to Sweden. Either way, at least a six month authorization period for such intra-Schengen ID checks is almost certainly going to become law in Sweden.
Seems that it's going to be pushed through - think the debate is still going on now.

Not a good thing - but they are sending signal to the world that migrants are no longer welcome - no more open hearts

Should have done that in September - and now SD has about 22% support according to the polls quoted on svt.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How long does it take to row a boat between coastal Malmo and Denmark?

Eventually maybe they'll put up a Swedish coast guard down south while the Swedish navy is lost chasing Russia? That is until Denmark plays the border controls in much the same way Sweden seems to be doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.