Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
No, I am really thinking of those commuting to work every workday.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor
No, I am really thinking of those commuting to work every workday.
There is no set-up for CPH to fast track the daily commuters more than the occasional tourist using the same trains. Jantelagen would come to mind if they allowed me to buy my way into fast track on my trips across the bridge.

The road checks across the bridge are a joke relative to the checks to use the rail. I drive across by myself, and the trunk and seats aren't checked. I drive across with multiple people and they check all the passengers in their plain sight but nothing else.

It seems Denmark may be getting set up to put the same kind of checks on Germany-Denmark traffic -- perhaps more a matter of when than if.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is no set-up for CPH to fast track the daily commuters more than the occasional tourist using the same trains. Jantelagen would come to mind if they allowed me to buy my way into fast track on my trips across the bridge.

The road checks across the bridge are a joke relative to the checks to use the rail. I drive across by myself, and the trunk and seats aren't checked. I drive across with multiple people and they check all the passengers in their plain sight but nothing else.

It seems Denmark may be getting set up to put the same kind of checks on Germany-Denmark traffic -- perhaps more a matter of when than if.
i am born and raised in Sweden . The first time I hear about about the JANELAGEN was 2006. that is after living abroad since 1994. I dont belive in it. Think it is a peace of C-R. . My opinoin.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanja
i am born and raised in Sweden . The first time I hear about about the JANELAGEN was 2006. that is after living abroad since 1994. I dont belive in it. Think it is a peace of C-R. . My opinoin.
I've seen long-time professionals claim to know their own business and dispute conclusions derived of empirical evidence about their business when the numbers and related conclusions run contrary to the anecdotal experiences and ways of the old timers. Whose right and whose wrong? That's not always clear, but I'm certain that sometimes the most insightful observers are not the long-term insiders.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The rail contractors are scanning and storing the passenger ID content using an online service. And my bet is that the scans/storing has time stamp data of some sort discernible from what they are collecting/keeping. How long are they going to keep this data and how else will the data be used?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Various
The rail contractors are scanning and storing the passenger ID content using an online service. And my bet is that the scans/storing has time stamp data of some sort discernible from what they are collecting/keeping. How long are they going to keep this data and how else will the data be used?
It would be funny if what they are doing now would be against some Danish law.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
That is a very real issue - this may be in violation of laws on collecting and storing personal data. Currently being checked.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
My bet is that they are not in full compliance (yet) with laws applicable in Denmark. Let's just say I'm grateful that the Danish voters this year told the EU to go pound sand over closer intelligence and law enforcement-enabling cross-border integration. Unfortunately, I have to expect the Danish government will manage to hoodwink the population in the main and still move ahead with doing as the EU and non-EU threat community wants them to do.

The Swedish government -- and the other supporters of this latest Swedish law driving these checks -- have managed to even wreck intra-Sweden commutes by making a mess of Hyllie station by making the fence between track 3 and 4 so very long there and de facto encouraging of Oresundtag service reduction.

By the way, it's become quite clear to me that these checks and this messy plan for Hyllie was already being entertained in some part by Swedish authorities and other parties involved in the operations at Hyllie even well before mid-November 2015.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Saw a Swedish citizen denied transport on the bridge due to his Swedish ID not being considered acceptable by the contractors. He and some others took a taxi across the Bridge and were allowed in by Swedish police with the very same ID that was not acceptable to the ID-checking contractors. Ran into the denied train transport passengers at the Hyllie station where they were going to hop back onto trains.

So the word about town is if you're an NPU country citizen without ID/"acceptable ID" or otherwise admissible to Sweden, then stay off the train from CPH to Hyllie and take a taxi across the bridge. The taxi costs like 8-12 times what the rail fare costs for CPH-Hyllie, but that's usually per taxi ride.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Saw a Swedish citizen denied transport on the bridge due to his Swedish ID not being considered acceptable by the contractors. He and some others took a taxi across the Bridge and were allowed in by Swedish police with the very same ID that was not acceptable to the ID-checking contractors. Ran into the denied train transport passengers at the Hyllie station where they were going to hop back onto trains.

So the word about town is if you're an NPU country citizen without ID/"acceptable ID" or otherwise admissible to Sweden, then stay off the train from CPH to Hyllie and take a taxi across the bridge. The taxi costs like 8-12 times what the rail fare costs for CPH-Hyllie, but that's usually per taxi ride.
Yes I saw/heard the same. It saw on my fb page from family/friends who are really angry. The gov. went from letting everybody in (they were warned that it would back fire) to doing this id. thing. And keeping citizens not to be able to come back to their country. Stupid.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:01 pm

t oney for some people. Bet a lot of them dont have that.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

According to Danish media, people take it very easy. Apparently it takes a couple extra minutes and there's no drama.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:24 pm

We are planning to take Oresundstag from Copenhagen to Malmo in April. The only ID we have would be our US passports. Won't that be good enough to enter Sweden?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Good enough.

To explain the uproar - ID checks are nearly as strange between Denmark and Sweden as they would be between New York and New Jersey. For 60 years there has been none.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
We are planning to take Oresundstag from Copenhagen to Malmo in April. The only ID we have would be our US passports. Won't that be good enough to enter Sweden?
That is accepted as good enough from most visiting US passport holders and would be what you have to show if you want to get into Sweden. Just don't consider visiting Sweden from Denmark by ground transport means if you don't have a valid international travel doc (a passport, for example); and do consider that various delays/cancellations may still be hitting then due to this, more so if you decide to cross in the late afternoon or early evening than say during 10:00am-2pm.

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
According to Danish media, people take it very easy. Apparently it takes a couple extra minutes and there's no drama.
According to actual users of the Oresundstag yesterday, in the afternoon and evening this stuff took more than a couple of extra minutes than the usual commute time; and some Swedish and Danish citizens were denied use of the train due to the contractors deeming the ID insufficient. And these delays and disruptions/reduction of rail service are what has hit even before most people commuting by rail in the region have returned to work after this (still on-going holiday period). [Vacation and parental leave filings for time off today are very high still, no less so because Epiphany is a national Swedish holiday and today is a de facto half day holiday by tradition in Sweden.]. The delays will be worse after Swedish schools and workplaces in the region are back to full operation -- sometime after this week.

The scanning and storing of ID documents of all those traveling from Denmark and directly into Skane in Sweden has never before been part of the picture in living memory as far as I know.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.