Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Passenger Freeze Drill

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

TSA Passenger Freeze Drill

TSA commands passengers to freeze in Miami International Airport.
"It's not an emergency," says the TSA officer. "It's an exercise."
Do we have any duty or obligation to "freeze" when not under arrest
or suspected of a crime?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhAFJGIV9Yw

Notice the little girl running from the Blue Meanies once the drill is over.

Last edited by yandosan; May 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
It's called a "Code Bravo" discussed in this thread and many others over the years.

Since TSA screeners are not LEO and have no powers of detention, all they can do is harass, try to impede, or sputter ineffectively to anybody who does not play their games. They can't touch you.

The phrases to say include: "Am I free to go?" and "Am I being detained?". Assuming you have time to discuss your urgent need to go to the bathroom, let's say, with the LEO they may summon.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
They can't do shite. Just keep on moving. If they tell you to stop you just say no & tell them to go away. If they get in your face about it you can ask them if they're attempting to detain you. If they still try to coerce you & you've got the time to ruin their day then you can demand LEO attend because you'd like them arrested for unlawful detainer.

I've only ever seen it once and I walked in right at the end of it anyway but I just told them to "fvck off & take [their] pissy little games with [them]." I think the shock of it had more effect than the words, but they backed way off straight away.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
It's called a "Code Bravo" discussed in this thread and many others over the years.
I looked into this thread and found only speculation and TSA bashing. I was looking for actual information on our rights regarding participation in "Code Bravo" exercises.

Is there a place where I can find real legal advice on this issue?
Old May 4, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by NameCoin
I looked into this thread and found only speculation and TSA bashing. I was looking for actual information on our rights regarding participation in "Code Bravo" exercises.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. I suspect that TSA's "Code Bravo" exercises are part of their SOP, which TSA steadfastly refuses to release to the public. TSOs will probably tell you that you have to comply or be denied entry due to "failure to cooperate with the screening process". Civil libertarians will say that such an excuse is bull#@!$. But since nobody's tested this in court, nobody knows for certain.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
If TSA ever finds a real threat, a freeze or Code Bravo seems to be counterproductive.

If TSA finds a bomb, they are telling people "We found a bomb, stand here next to it, do not run away."

If TSA finds a man with a gun, they are telling people "There is a shooter, stand still near him so he can shoot you easier, do not run away."

Sadly, Kip Hawley left 55,000 idiots behind. We would be safer replacing TSA with Monty Python. At least they had to sense to say "Run Away." ^
Old May 4, 2013, 9:06 pm

There is only one real way and that is to pay for it.

Then there's the internet--look up posts by PTravel, who apparently practices law at the federal level and has posted on this topic before, IIRC.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I fake, as in I never pressed send, called 9-1-1 to report an illegal detainment by an EMPLOYEE of the TSA once. That really set him off. Calling him an employee instead of OFFICER as he barked at me. This was in the NYC Subway system not an airport. He told me to get out of his sight. I stood there not moving, giving him a target instead of letting him move on to harass other people. Since he was barking at me a few NYPD/NYPA cops came walking over to see what was going on. I told them to ask him because as far as I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.
The TSO was kind of mocked and bullied by the NYPD into adjusting his behavior towards people.
Ironically this was 24 hours before my first "stop n frisk" attempt by NYPD the following morning. That went as well as the TSO trying to stop me for ID in the subway station.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Unfortunately, if you're still actually in the checkpoint when this happens, you're screwed and you had better play along or they'll string you up for noncooperation with the actual screening process.

What I am more interested in - and where the bigger question lies - is what authority do they have to hassle people who aren't being screened and just happen to be walking past the checkpoint at that moment. The stories on FT of the verbal harassment and bully tactics - like surrounding a person to try to get them to make physical contact with a TSO (I like "employee" ) so it can be called "assault" and escalate the situation - are extremely troublesome.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:43 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/bu...road.html?_r=0

Understood, I said. But still, am I, a citizen, required to stop motionless when the T.S.A. officers yell freeze?

Actually, no. The agency has wide-ranging legal authority to carry out security-related responsibilities, Ms Lee said. But in these specific drills, she added, passengers are not required to freeze in place like statues. But if they are within the checkpoint security area, they may be required to remain there until the drill has ended, she said.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yandosan
TSA commands passengers to freeze in Miami International Airport.
"It's not an emergency," says the TSA officer. "It's an exercise."
Do we have any duty or obligation to "freeze" when not under arrest
or suspected of a crime?
Inquiring minds want to know.
No. They have to say "Simon says" or it doesn't count.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:39 am
Suspended

What makes you think it's speculation or bashing? If you don't know what the law is then how can you comment on the comments? By your own admission, you don't know how to judge the veracity of the answers.

I'd suggest a civil rights lawyer's office.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Every time I have experienced a TSO yell "BRAVO", my very audible response is "SIERRA"
Old May 5, 2013, 12:31 pm
Suspended

I've wondered if I could remember to yell back, "Delta one! Follow my tracer!" but I know that won't go down well. At all.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
Every time I have experienced a TSO yell "BRAVO", my very audible response is "SIERRA"
& they don't get it, do they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.