Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Not an option during takeoff and landing, when all electronic devices must be turned off and stowed ... which is, of course, exactly when this incident occurred ...
I shudder to think what would have happened had the flight attendant not seen the guy reading the books till mid-flight, especially with the plane headed toward DC.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Note to self: Avoid UA.

I am currently researching arc flash for a research paper. I have printed out a bunch of articles and stapled them together for reference and I carry them with me. The top one is here.

I may be in trouble.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I may be in trouble.
We're all in trouble.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:36 pm

Mr. Gilbert mentions flying on a E170 which means his flight was probably operated by Shuttle America. While this does not mean United can wash their hands of the incident, I find the cabin crew of many feeder airlines to be much less experienced and overreact to seemingly minor issues. Guess this poor pax became yet more collateral damage for the Big Brother-ish "see something, say something."
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
More "There's a terrorist under my bed!!" from, guess who, UA FAs.

Big surprise.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Interesting -- I looked on the UA website and on the Dulles airport flight info websites and couldn't find his flight number. I suppose they could have changed the schedule between August 11 & now. I did find UA 3429. Given the four-digit number, I suspected it was a cropduster and, likely, a commuter airline. I was right, if this other flight # is correct. The flight was actually Trans States Airlines. That doesn't relieve UA of any responsibility and future liability, but, it does perhaps explain why the crew was so weird about this. Not being UA, they can't really claim 9/11 paranoia as a reason.
UA3483 BOS-IAD 0600-0731 is only scheduled on Sundays. (This matches the traveler's account that he was flying on Aug. 14, a Sunday.)

It's a United Express flight; the operating carrier is Shuttle America.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
UA flight attendants are bunch of paranoid nutbags - my hope from the merger is new management will jettison most of them in favor of the CO staff and CO new hires.
To be clear, the flight crew in question worked for Shuttle America, an airline which runs flights for United and for Delta.

They do not also operate flights for CO.

Maybe as CO continues the merger, they will abandon 70-passenger regional jets on the BOS-IAD shuttle flights and bring full mainline jet service to the route? That would be nice.

Or would you prefer that CO ditch Shuttle America and bring in Colgan on this route?

Last edited by mherdeg; Aug 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That being said, I was aware of their paranoia and a couple months back I specifically took a complimentary copy of Flying magazine from the AC MLL at YYZ to read on my UA flight - making sure the cover and lots of pictures were visible to the FAs and flight deck crew as I read the magazine before departure.

I'm a pilot and read that magazine frequently, but I would have dared them to say something, as the Peel Police who work at YYZ would have likely arrested the crew for creating a disturbance had they called the police on me for my choice of reading material.
See if you can find a copy of EAA Warbirds in an FBO pilots lounge somewhere. Civilians flying privately owned military aircraft? Horrors!

Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
United has a history of such actions. I only hope it disappears with the CO merger...
Agreed. There is that UA purser relatively famous on FT who got very upset and called the rear FA on his phone to report 'she's LOOKING at me!'

I was sitting diagonally across from him; he was sitting in the jumpseat facing the cabin.

One of my all time favourite books is Nevil Shute's No Highway. It may be time for a re-read.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The crew asked the guy about what he was reading.
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
Shameless crew apologist reads thread title.
Ignores link to post.
Writes silly, not-remotely-accurate summary.
Makes negative impression on the rest of FT.

The end.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
One of my all time favourite books is Nevil Shute's No Highway. It may be time for a re-read.
Next time I fly on Shuttle America, I'll be sure to reread Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander to the Fall of the Taliban. The cover has a Mujaheddin soldier with an AK-47. Read it on a couple of AA and WN flights without anyone batting an eye.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1) A few years ago, in flight on aa, I was watching on my portable dvd player the serial film ACE DRUMMOND, in the first chapter (which sets the theme for the other 12), scene upon scene of planes of Mongolian Airways are being crashed by the Dragon. If a FA noticed this, I'd probably be writing this from prison cell.
(2) We here on FT, think too logically; the general public feels anything the govt. does to insure their safety is worth the hassle.
(3) One would assume a librarian, would be more intelligent and realize that books don't commit crimes: In the 70's (30 years before 9/11), I stopped into a library and inquired whether they had a copy of the OAG (airplane timetable book), his comment was that isn't that info "classified" and not available to the general public.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
To be clear, the flight crew in question worked for Shuttle America, an airline which runs flights for United and for Delta.

They do not also operate flights for CO.

Maybe when CO will abandon 70-passenger regional jets on the BOS-IAD shuttle flights and bring full mainline jet service to the route? That would be nice.

Or would you prefer that CO ditch Shuttle America and bring in Colgan on this route?
I would prefer flight attendants in general start behaving like adults. UA has a known reputation for this nonsense - in this very forum one of our members posted an incident where a UA FA ordered them to shut down their laptop because of the wallpaper - a photo of a CO 757 taking off. Apparently, in the minds of some UA employees, someone with a photo of an aircraft is automatically a possible hijacker.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:41 pm

I will use some discretion when loading movies on my iPad for travel viewing (for example, while I love horror movies I wouldn't dream of watching one with excessive gore when people are sitting close enough to see it), but I'll be damned if I restrict my reading material in order to avoid someone making a stupid assumption about my potential risk.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Hey everyone next time you see Janet Napolitano give her a big ol "Thanks!".
The next time I see Big Sis, I'll be giving her both fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.