Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Sounds better than the pat-down when you and the Mrs. had the insulated cup!

I do have a problem with the clerks trying to get us to second-guess our decision
Maybe the new FT could sell insulated cups with the FT logo to wear, if you get my drift.

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Nah. The best defense is to insure the other party is empathic of your displeasure, whether they want to be empathic or not. You've chosen humor as your tool and technique, which is the most passive-aggresive, yet the least likely to cause you any long-term legal issues. Kinda hard to arrest someone for trying to bring humor to an uncomfortable situation... right?

The list is endless... here just for the patdown... why date, just buy a plane ticket... have fun with the humor, eh!
Very good points as I develop my own personal routine. ^ The list of "lines" might well deserve its own thread. ^
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Fredd
Maybe the new FT could sell insulated cups with the FT logo to wear, if you get my drift.
You owe me a new laptop!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
Absolutely, I replied, and she whispered into her mike "male opt out." SEA generally has a nice laid-back Northwest vibe.
That's nice to hear. I moved to Seattle ten years ago, and I love it here, partly due to that "laid-back Northwest vibe." I'm not surprised to hear that it permeates even airport security.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: United
SAN opt out

My sister who regularly flies had her first opt out today^, SAN, terminal 1 Alaska security approx 6pm. I have been educating her about the opt out process and she did well for herself. She has been able to successfully self opt out by picking the lines before but got the dreaded nod to the scanner as she approached the WTMD and said no way, I am not going through that thing. They probably picked her because she is female, pretty and traveling alone. She got put in the penalty box for a few minutes and couldn't see her things. (I later admonished her to make sure she raises a stink to have her stuff where she can see it.) She said the frisk was a half hearted joke and no touching of her parts and real security theater. The smurf asked her if she was a frequent flier and she said she was and the smurf replied that only the frequent fliers opt out. My sister noticed she was the only one who opted out during the time she was at the check point and all of the rest of the sheep went willingly through the scanner that were directed.

I am dreading my upcoming flight with my small kids but have to visit my 93 year old grandmother and no other way. If you see a flaming mad red head on the news at SNA in April, you will know it is me
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by patriciahenry
The smurf asked her if she was a frequent flier and she said she was and the smurf replied that only the frequent fliers opt out.
i.e. Anyone who knows what's going on will have nothing to do with our bull&*#@
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I am dreading my upcoming flight with my small kids but have to visit my 93 year old grandmother and no other way. If you see a flaming mad red head on the news at SNA in April, you will know it is me

SNA doesn't have the NoS anywhere. I don't think they have room for it.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
........ The smurf asked her if she was a frequent flier and she said she was and the smurf replied that only the frequent fliers opt out. My sister noticed she was the only one who opted out during the time she was at the check point and all of the rest of the sheep went willingly through the scanner that were directed.
)
MSNBC reports that Barbara Bachmann opts out for fear of her image showing up on the internet, which seems like a reasonable concern to me.

http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/...n-9442.gallery

I'm surprised that celebrities haven't been more vocal about this since they are the most likely targets of a leaked image.

Of the few that have reported being groped, Regis Philbin, Brian Williams and Chloe Kardashian, only Kardashian cited privacy as the basis for the opt out. Philbin said he had a metal implant and Williams didn't elaborate on why he was groped. They may have the same concerns but are keeping it to themselves to avoid being ridiculed by some in the press.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by Fisher1949
MSNBC reports that Barbara Bachmann opts out for fear of her image showing up on the internet, which seems like a reasonable concern to me.
I was wondering who Barbara Bachmann was - some celebrity I don't know? It is actually Michele Bachmann, the off-the-wall Minnesota Rep. It is weird that her main concern is nude photos of her showing up on the internet (although, given how many people she ticks off, it is a valid concern.) I wonder why she doesn't join on the bipartisan group of Congresspeople trying to put an end to the scanners for the rest of us?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
I opted out today for the first time. SOP was followed the entire time. They checked for explosives, and it came up positive. Based on some of the other experiences in this thread, I was prepared for the worst. In the end, I had to go through the enhanced pat down a second time so that the agent could test a new swab.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by everdown
I opted out today for the first time. SOP was followed the entire time. They checked for explosives, and it came up positive. Based on some of the other experiences in this thread, I was prepared for the worst. In the end, I had to go through the enhanced pat down a second time so that the agent could test a new swab.
so you didn't get a resolution patdown, just a repeat of the revised opt-out feel-down where they don't touch your private parts? if so, sounds like they wanted to avoid the reso....
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
so you didn't get a resolution patdown, just a repeat of the revised opt-out feel-down where they don't touch your private parts? if so, sounds like they wanted to avoid the reso....
Nope. It was just a slightly faster version of the first. When I got the positive results, the supervisor (I think) stopped by and said that that particular machine had been giving false positives...
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by everdown
Nope. It was just a slightly faster version of the first. When I got the positive results, the supervisor (I think) stopped by and said that that particular machine had been giving false positives...
Alot of those machines are giving off false positives for some reason.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:30 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lara21
Alot of those machines are giving off false positives for some reason.
This is why I avoid being swabbed whenever possible.

Recently, there was a TSO standing next to the TDC when I walked up, "randomly" selecting people to swab. Did a nice positional opt-out of the whole affair.

After I made it thru and was collecting my belongings, another gentleman was being swabbed for some reason and it set off the machine. So he got a thorough pat-down and that did NOT set off the machine. One of the TSOs remarked that this was fairly normal for that machine, frequently alerting for no reason. Then they let him go.

What does that prove??? Half the time you set off the machine, so you're clean, because it doesn't work very well anyway?

The whole thing is farce.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:53 pm

the smurf replied that only the frequent fliers opt out.
It must be nice to have such a simplistic view of the world; speaking as an infrequent flyer I will be opting out if sent to the scanners.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I've been selected 5 times in 2011 so far for the Node-O-Scopes, after managing to avoid them for all of 2010 -- its partially a function of flying from smaller airports this year thus far.

I've opted out of all of them, and finally decided on my opt-out technique. Inevitiably, the TSA drone asks me, "So you WANT the PAT-DOWN?!" trying to make it seem as ominous as possible. I simply calmly reply, "Well, I don't want cancer, let's leave it at that."

Last week I got a TSA drone at SJC who wanted to argue with me that one recieved a lot of radiation on the airplane. I explained to him that the Nude-O-Scopes focused all of the radiation directly on the skin, so it was much more harmful. He didn't seem to care, but oh well, I was one of several people opting out at that particular moment, so hopefully our defiance was logged somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.