Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
2. In all honesty-Is there a place in this forum for someone with an opinion who has always had issues with authority (police, high school administrators, 35 years of managers, parents, TSA, Immagration, police, etc,) but is not as "passionate"? If not, that's OK too.
There's a place for everyone in this forum.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Spiff, on another forum, suggested I come visit here.

I am amazed.
I too am amazed at how many people are ready to give up their personal rights for some illusion of safety, without learning the facts.

The thread which directed here reads like one of the many on infrequent traveller websites.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
QUESTION?

How many of you have actually written letters to the TSA about this?

How many of you have actually written a LETTER to your representatives about this?

How many of you have gotten the media to get involved in this?

ANSWER?

If you can't say you have to all three, then you are all talk. Your advice is useless and balogna otherwise.
I wrote Senator Feinstein about these machines a while back and she basically replied to get in the f-ing machine for my own good.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Except the the scanners don't really work well ....

http://dailycaller.com/2010/01/22/fu...rman-tv-video/

In this German TV show one can see how the scanner does a great job of finding a cell phone, but missing a bomb.

If someone wants to smuggle something on board they will find a way to do it. Best security is to prevent unsavory characters from flying in the first place instead of inconveniencing the rest of the traveling public.

Our gov't is so reactionary.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
That we take great umbrage at people talking about "security" while urinating on the graves of John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin?
Fixed it for 'ya.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by DrLeeCRogers
If someone wants to smuggle something on board they will find a way to do it. Best security is to prevent unsavory characters from flying in the first place instead of inconveniencing the rest of the traveling public.

Our gov't is so reactionary.
In no way parallel, but it reminds me of prisoners - take away everything and they will still find a way to make weapons. All the searches the guards can conduct still don't find everything.

Departing YYZ through US departures - got the lucky arrow today and didn't have to go through the random full search. Moat dragon was friendly and appreciated that I had all necessary items out and off ready to go. Security was BUSY (7am) so they were pushing people through - I didn't see anyone redirected to the NoS. It was just a lucky day.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Opted out in IND

Went through Terminal A about noon yesterday. It was super slow - there were only 2 people in front of my father and I in the security line. I had already warned him about the NoS machines and that I would be opting out. The 2 people in front of us were sent through the metal detectors, my father and I were of course chosen for the NoS.

When pointed to the strip search area, I shook my head and politely said "No, thank you. I opt out". The TSA agent looked like he was about to try to argue with me, but just rolled his eyes and called for a female opt out.

The woman that came over to do my secondary screening reminded me of someone's mother, and explained that the process, and that she would be using the back of her hands. I had an eye on my baggage the whole time (still sitting at the end of the belt), but still called out for my father to keep an eye on it after he was done going through the NoS and getting briefly patted down.

All in all, it was a pretty painless process that didn't take too long - but you might've been reading a completely different account if they had opted to do the enhanced pat down.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:50 am

FLL Terminal 3, F gates (Jet Blue / AA)

One WTMD going and one backscatter machine. Backscatter machine is extremely slow as usual, so they are sending most people through the WTMD. They waved me over to the Backscatter, I pointed to the WTMD and said I'd prefer to through that. The guy was confused and told me to come through the backscatter again, so I pointed at the opt out sign, and told him the sign says its optional, so I'm opting out. The opt out sign was a little less conspicuous than during my previous visits, this time it was further back and if I didn't know to look for it, I would not have seen it.

The TSA guy asks someone what they are supposed to do for an opt-out and is told to request a pat down. So they call "male assist, opt-out" and take me past the WTMD/backscatter machines to the pat down area.

Pat down area is a small square cordoned off on 4 sides by tensa barriers. A new guy comes over, puts on new pair of gloves and gives me a pat down. My stuff stayed over on the belt, but I was able to watch it from where I was, and wallet was hidden inside anyhow.

TSA folk were generally friendly/indifferent this time. Having been through this same checkpoint numerous times this month, this was the only time I had to opt out. Other times the machine was either not running, or I was able to easily use the WTMD line.

The backscatter is so time and labor intensive I can't imagine how they can possibly use it during peak travel times, but I guess we'll find out during Thanksgiving.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TNGALINFLORIDA
Went through Terminal A about noon yesterday. It was super slow - there were only 2 people in front of my father and I in the security line. I had already warned him about the NoS machines and that I would be opting out. The 2 people in front of us were sent through the metal detectors, my father and I were of course chosen for the NoS.

When pointed to the strip search area, I shook my head and politely said "No, thank you. I opt out". The TSA agent looked like he was about to try to argue with me, but just rolled his eyes and called for a female opt out.

The woman that came over to do my secondary screening reminded me of someone's mother, and explained that the process, and that she would be using the back of her hands. I had an eye on my baggage the whole time (still sitting at the end of the belt), but still called out for my father to keep an eye on it after he was done going through the NoS and getting briefly patted down.

All in all, it was a pretty painless process that didn't take too long - but you might've been reading a completely different account if they had opted to do the enhanced pat down.
Did your father say what he had on his person that led to the brief patdown even though he went through the NoS?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
Did your father say what he had on his person that led to the brief patdown even though he went through the NoS?

According to him - nothing. They patted down under his arms in the armpit area and down his sides. He was wearing a polo shirt without a pocket, so there was nothing to alarm. I don't know if he managed to not take his belt off when he went through, as I was being distracted with my own pat down. He is a larger man, and a belt is a necessity unless you want to see his underwear, so maybe it was b/c he didn't remove his belt - but I do know they didn't pat the lower half of his body.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:34 pm
Suspended

RADsticker?

I wonder if going through the Nude-O-Scope with a RADsticker would show anything? Certainly would be an eye-opener if it did.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by n4zhg
I wonder if going through the Nude-O-Scope with a RADsticker would show anything? Certainly would be an eye-opener if it did.
Should be easy to conceal in a shirt pocket - where can we order these? I'd "take one for the team" (do a nude-o-scope) while carrying one and report any effect.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Should be easy to conceal in a shirt pocket - where can we order these? I'd "take one for the team" (do a nude-o-scope) while carrying one and report any effect.
NI4U has the best prices I've seen thus far. I like the Nuke Alarm as well but that won't go through the detector(s).
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by n4zhg
NI4U has the best prices I've seen thus far. I like the Nuke Alarm as well but that won't go through the detector(s).
That link takes me to a SPAM site
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That link takes me to a SPAM site
Someone's playing games with GoDaddy again.

http://www.ki4u.com/products1.php works direct, but you'll have to scroll down through the mess to find RADstickers

ETA: Oops, that was my brain fart, sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.