Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
THIS post suggests that Delta may not allow this.
Interesting, hopefully the poster was given bad info. If they were trying to book a C+ ticket they must not have status with Delta which could make a difference as well.

I called the diamond desk earlier and was told that it wouldn't be an issue providing it was within 24 hours of ticketing. I've never bought an E ticket but back when SWU's required a certain fare class and if inventory opened up I was able to call and just pay the fare difference and no change fee providing I stayed on the same flights. I don't know why Delta would care as long as they are getting the revenue.

I was also assured by Delta that providing it wasn't an E fare I could sit in C+ and would be on the upgrade list for first class the same as if it was a purchased ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Plus $50USD because it's an agency ticket

Booked a DL economy fare through the UR portal and wanted to upfare to G/A after ticketing. No problem (and no change fee other than fare difference) but DL would not budge on the $50 fee to take over the agency-issued ticket, even on an upfare.

The phone agent sounded quite confident, but if she was not correct and the fee to takeover an agency-issued ticket is waived for an upfare, could someone point me to a source? Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by cab
Does anyone have any experience with a changed/canceled flight booked through UR? I don't have this problem yet but anticipate it being an issue before long. I have several flights booked on Delta through UR and they usually end up changing or canceling our flights before departure. I have read that we need to work with UR rather than the airline to reschedule the flight. It usually hasn't been too much of an issue with the airline, but I'm afraid of what may happen when going through a third party. I don't usually book third party flights I hope someone has a good story.
I booked a flight with points through the ur portal. I called the airline directly and made changes no problem.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by slm9555
... the airline ....
Which airline? Some will do this, others will not touch an agency booking.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Which airline? Some will do this, others will not touch an agency booking.
It was a round trip flight San Diego to Cabo for 2 passengers on Alaska airlines. Alaska has a 60 day before departure no change fee. If under 60 days then $125 per change. I called Alaska 56 days prior to my departure and asked them in a super nice way if they could change it so I could fly out a day earlier and waive the $125 per ticket change fee. They said no and I continued to sweet talk the agent. Agent got a supervisor involved who approved waiving the $250 of change fees. I only paid the fare difference of $21 per ticket. Was very happy and the Alaska team was very good to deal with. The agents are very competent compared to other airlines.
cmjaffe likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Has anyone else noted the UR landing webpage cannot be reached? Actually I can log in but no page beyond that comes up. Any work arounds?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boerne
Has anyone else noted the UR landing webpage cannot be reached? Actually I can log in but no page beyond that comes up. Any work arounds?
Try to go thru Chase online, i.e. your card accounts.

Also when the UR site hang up / froze - which happens very often - do a refresh sometimes would bring it back.

The UR site is awfully clunky and unbelievably glitchy. Use Chrome or Opera seems to help a little bit.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Happy
Try to go thru Chase online, i.e. your card accounts.

Also when the UR site hang up / froze - which happens very often - do a refresh sometimes would bring it back.

The UR site is awfully clunky and unbelievably glitchy. Use Chrome or Opera seems to help a little bit.
Yup using chrome on a chromebook and I have been using this pretty exclusively for UR research the past 6 months. I have used every button with UR that is showing up on the new business website when logged in. I also tried to just go to the UR site from a Google search.
Update- good call. I can sideload Android apps on this chromebook. Used Firefox and got right in to UR site. Thanks

Last edited by boerne; Jul 18, 2017 at 6:49 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:44 pm

Angry Hotel Reservation made via Chase not honored - had to sleep in car

I booked a hotel room using the Chase website, three months in advance for Saturday night during the July 4th weekend, in a small town in the Colorado Rockies.

When I arrived to check-in, the hotel told me that the reservation was cancelled but I never cancelled it and the Chase website showed that the reservation was active.

I called Chase ultimate rewards. They said they would talk to the hotel and resolve the issue. They put me on hold and never got back to me again. I called them again to start at square one and they put me on hold again and never got back to me again. Finally, when I called again, they told me it was not their fault and that it was their vendor that messed up and offered to refund me what I paid for the room.

I ended up having to sleep in my car as all others hotels were booked that night and the inconvenience was immense - Am I entitled to get some UR points for the inconvenience I faced? If so, how many should I ask for?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kinglyways
Am I entitled to get some UR points for the inconvenience I faced?
No. For starter, Chase has no duty to indemnify. On that basis, you are entitled nil.

However, if you plead your case, I am sure that Chase will try to make whole as it is the fault of its vendor.

Originally Posted by kinglyways
If so, how many should I ask for?
Not much.

It is not a case that you have to spend extra. Instead, this is a case of inconvenience, which you have to sleep in a car. And you got your refund back.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
This is why it's always best to garden your reservations.

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Jul 19, 2017 at 9:53 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:56 am

I did garden my reservation through the chase website which kept showing the reservation as active.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
What are folks experiences when purchasing a business ticket (Intra Europe w/Czech) through the portal w/points and the airline putting you in coach and having you pay for your bags.... Everything via the Chase portal said I bought a business ticket and everything on the Czech side at the airport said I bought a coach ticket..... I've opened a claim with Chase and I'm awaiting a response.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Could I get a definition of "garden your reservation", please?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneeye4u76
What are folks experiences when purchasing a business ticket (Intra Europe w/Czech) through the portal w/points and the airline putting you in coach and having you pay for your bags.... Everything via the Chase portal said I bought a business ticket and everything on the Czech side at the airport said I bought a coach ticket..... I've opened a claim with Chase and I'm awaiting a response.
Sorry to read about your rude awakening booking intra-tickets with UR pts - I almost fell into that trap but when I saw the fares shown on UR did not corresponding to anything I saw on SAS and LOT, I decided that I would be better off to book directly with airlines instead because it was near impossible to figure out the checked bag restriction with UR portal - the only way (and not always reliable) is to call and talk to supervisor at Help Desk - just too much work to go thru and if it did not come thru as expected, as in your case, it is a lengthy process to get back what you are owed.

You need to keep following up on your claim. Make sure to keep detailed records of each and every supervisor at the Help Desk you talked to, their names and location, and what they told you. Make sure they notated your booking on what you are told and what they would do. Would take multiple phone calls and many manhours to eventually get it sorted.

I just finished a claim with a hotel booking that did not even get a chance to materialzed, i.e. actual stay. Will give the details so others can learn something and be prepared the travel booking thru UR portal is full of traps and perils - it is VERY MUCH Buyer Beware situation, very unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.