Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
Got the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card last year. Just booked my first travel using the Rewards points through the Chase portal. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and how well it worked. Booked a flight on Delta. Price in dollars was the same as on Delta site. Entered my Skymiles number . Later, went to the Delta site and the reservation was there. Just went in and picked my seats.

Great way to get value from the points at 1.5X for booking travel. Very pleased.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:09 pm

Booking SWA on the Chase portal

My hubby thought you could book SWA flights through the Chase UR portal. We are Reserve Card members.
I looked and could not see the option. I do see that I can transfer points to my RR acct though.

TIA
Old May 17, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by pilotwife
My hubby thought you could book SWA flights through the Chase UR portal. We are Reserve Card members.
I looked and could not see the option. I do see that I can transfer points to my RR acct though.

TIA
Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel reached by phone can book Southwest Airlines travel for you using the same redemption formula.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
I think it depends on fares and FF availability and whether you need/want MQM of MQDs (Delta, for example).
I just booked an open jaw trip on Delta in business class -- JFK-AMS-PRG/CPH-PRG-JFK. Cash price for the ticket would have been $2206 on Delta or KL, I used 147,124 UR points. And figure I will earn 12,669 MQMs, $2097 MQDs, and 23,067 base miles on Delta.
If I could have booked at low level miles on DL, it would have been 140,000 miles plus $200 to $300 for taxes and fees. But I'm not seeing low level, best I could find was 170,000 miles plus $60.
I could have transfered 125,000 points/miles to KL and booked it for 125,000 miles and about $500 in taxes and fees. But would have earned no miles or MQDs.

You have to check them all out and do what is best for your circumstances.

Where I've gotten incredible bargains by transferring UR points is for United business class awards within Asia -- usually requiring connections in the middle of the night in BKK.
Hi mot29. I've got a Reserve card also but have not yet redeemed any points for flights. Am I reading your narrative above correctly when you say that as a result of using UR points to secure J class tickets on DL, you also earned MQMs etc on DL based on the value of the UR points? So, if I use UR points to buy a AA J class ticket, I would earn the equivalent MQMs and EQDs
values associated with the UR J tickets? If true, that's a nice benefit. Thanks
Old May 17, 2017, 3:45 pm

I don't suppose there are any tricks to getting the CSR site to find the exact flights I want, are there? Kayak shows a TATL business fare on DL that doesn't show up on the Chase page. It's not a "hacker" fare either or anything special.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was told that if you call in with the exact flights they are able to book it for you.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Thumbs down Can't use UR for Cuba

Tried booking flights/hotels with UR for Cuba today and discovered UR doesn't support Cuba travel. Kind of annoying.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:49 am

Just a note... I purchased UA tickets on the UR site, fully expecting they may not earn qualifying miles. To my surprise, when I look at the "earnings" tab in my account on UA, it's showing as a non-bulk fare and will earn. I guess it really is the luck of the draw with this.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Just a note... I purchased UA tickets on the UR site, fully expecting they may not earn qualifying miles. To my surprise, when I look at the "earnings" tab in my account on UA, it's showing as a non-bulk fare and will earn. I guess it really is the luck of the draw with this.
UR redemption for UA is always FFP-eligible.

It simply won't earn PQD.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:18 am

Thankfully, I don't need the PDQ, because I have the PP card.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Booking Travel with Chase Ultimate Rewards - Possible to show more expensive fares?

All, I cannot figure out how to get chase to book a higher fare code for economy flights.

I am trying to book a Qantas flight through Chase Rewards Travel - and when I enter the dates, it appears that the lowest/cheapest economy tickets are shown (range are sale- saver - flex), with sale being shown on the Chase website.

I would like for it to show me the most expensive economy ticket (flex) because this offers the lowest amount of points to upgrade to business, while sale is a fare code that does not allow upgrade.

Is it possible to get this to show on the website? Would calling prove useful or am I out-of-luck?

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by pooker
All, I cannot figure out how to get chase to book a higher fare code for economy flights.

I am trying to book a Qantas flight through Chase Rewards Travel - and when I enter the dates, it appears that the lowest/cheapest economy tickets are shown (range are sale- saver - flex), with sale being shown on the Chase website.

I would like for it to show me the most expensive economy ticket (flex) because this offers the lowest amount of points to upgrade to business, while sale is a fare code that does not allow upgrade.

Is it possible to get this to show on the website? Would calling prove useful or am I out-of-luck?

Thanks!
When entering your data on the UR site you get 4 fare choices (where you enter # of travelers) & that's it. I think it's Economy, Prem. E, Biz & FC. Don't bother calling.

Last edited by philemer; May 19, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old May 19, 2017, 10:40 am

Anyone have experience booking with pricing in XPF?

I'm looking to book RT PPT (Papeete) to BOB (Bora Bora) on Air Tahiti. Flights for 3 pax directly on Air Tahiti is 111,936 XPF. Chase travel portal pricing at $1,109.70 USD or 73,980 UR.

Not sure if I should book directly (unsure what the exchange rate is I use an Amex or Chase Visa). Is the exchange rate more favorable through the travel portal?
Old May 19, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by garykung
UR redemption for UA is always FFP-eligible.

It simply won't earn PQD.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thankfully, I don't need the PDQ, because I have the PP card.
An update to this... I looked at my res & it will earn PDQ. My husband could use those

So apparently the tickets were regular tickets rather than bulk - or UA changed something for reservations coming through UR.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by XFed2001
Hi mot29. I've got a Reserve card also but have not yet redeemed any points for flights. Am I reading your narrative above correctly when you say that as a result of using UR points to secure J class tickets on DL, you also earned MQMs etc on DL based on the value of the UR points? So, if I use UR points to buy a AA J class ticket, I would earn the equivalent MQMs and EQDs
values associated with the UR J tickets? If true, that's a nice benefit. Thanks
I've not flown the trip yet, but the trip appears in "My Trips" on delta.com no differently from a trip that I book on Delta directly or through Concur for work. The receipt associated with the PNR that I can display on delta.com shows a base fare of $1141.00 USD and YR charge of $956.00 and ticketing in Z class. It also shows as paid with Mastercard ending in 1766, which is not a set of numbers associated with any cards I own.

Another trip receipt is basically the same, with the breakout of fare and fees. It does show the paid with Visa ending in XXXX, which is a card that I own.

I won't really know until I take the trip and see how the MQDs post... But it sure looks like a standard ticket process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.