Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Does anyone think Chase will launch the card without having the 5/24 immediately in place for it?
I sure hope so.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I find it hard to believe that Chase will offer a card that would offer combined status perks that it provides on multiple other cards, as it would cannibalize those cards.

The conditions I can see that that would be possible will be:
(1) High net annual fee (i.e., after all rebates in the range of $400) and/or
(2) High annual spend necessary. The Ritz card already require $75K spend for platinum and I would not be surprised to see annual spend requirement of $100K to maintain status(s).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pantanal
Or 1.5X on all spend for all airlines.
Chase Freedom Unlimited.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Does anyone think Chase will launch the card without having the 5/24 immediately in place for it?
I have a feeling they won't. It's a perfect time to show frequent CC changers we have the best and if you want it you have to earn it.
I'm pumped, imho there hasn't been many new card's in the last couple of years.
Chase has the connections to put something great together.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
If the offer is going to be 100k UR. I am going to sign up regardless of what the benefits will be, even if the af is $450 and not waived (100k UR is too valuable to pass up!). Im just getting a feeling that the 100k promo wont be "easy" and will be similar to BA's 100k (50k in 3months + 25k after 10k + 25k after addtl 10k).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
If the offer is going to be 100k UR. I am going to sign up regardless of what the benefits will be, even if the af is $450 and not waived (100k UR is too valuable to pass up!). Im just getting a feeling that the 100k promo wont be "easy" and will be similar to BA's 100k (50k in 3months + 25k after 10k + 25k after addtl 10k).
Why would you expect a difficult build up for the points? CSP has had 100k in the past for just a small spend, and the Ink+ currently has a 70k for $5k spend.

Skeptical about what they could do with this card to make it attractive to those who have the CSP already. An extra $200-300 for one premium hotel status probably wouldn't be worth it for most people, especially anybody who plays the status match/churn game. CSP already has the travel/rental insurance and the ability to transfer points. Seems like an extremely small niche they could fill.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Bretyost
Why would you expect a difficult build up for the points? CSP has had 100k in the past for just a small spend, and the Ink+ currently has a 70k for $5k spend.

Skeptical about what they could do with this card to make it attractive to those who have the CSP already. An extra $200-300 for one premium hotel status probably wouldn't be worth it for most people, especially anybody who plays the status match/churn game. CSP already has the travel/rental insurance and the ability to transfer points. Seems like an extremely small niche they could fill.
Do you think a 4th night free type of arrangement + Global Entry or something would convert you?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by senzer
Do you think a 4th night free type of arrangement + Global Entry or something would convert you?
I think the market for Global Entry reimbursements is approaching saturation. This would be a "me too" benefit, which probably no longer costs much to offer, but isn't likely to sway people who are otherwise undecided about a new card.

I think Chase is too invested in hotel partner cards to undermine it with a benefit which undercuts the prices available to Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/Ritz cardholders. (I also think Chase's relationship with three direct competitors is unsustainable, and they they will lose one, but that's another thread.)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by senzer
Me specifically? No. I have GE through both the prestige and plat, and am in the game for free travel mostly. It's a part time job gaining the points to get free trips to cover my ~15 PTO days each year as is, so a 4th night free doesn't benefit me either. I can certainly see how those benefits could make somebody choose Chase over Amex or Citi, if you already had a relationship with them, though.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:06 am

How long will it be available?

How many months does a card usually offer it's debut bonus before they lower it? I'll be at 4/24 on Pi day or the Ides of March, but I'm wondering if the 100K bonus would be gone by then.

If it's a whole year after debut, that would be awesome!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:14 am

If this new Sapphire card is based on the Sapphire line, I expect it to have 2x on dining. Wish I wasn't over 5/24!

Wondering how it will compare to the Palladium as well.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mvcore
Well Rental Coverage is already an option on the Preferred so if it can be available on a 95 card it should be avail on a 300-400 card. Chase also has one of the best partnerships with hotels which might help. It would have to offer something to justify the cost though I'm just spitballing ideas of what I would like to see / think Chase should do.

The only thing I know from talking to my buddy is that the card will offer 3X points on travel.
Looking at the publicly listed benefits of the Palladium, and what you mentioned, here's what I think that this new card will offer:
  • Everything that the CSP offers
  • Travel bumped to 3x UR points
  • J.P. Morgan Concierge service
  • Priority Pass Select, and United Lounge access for flights booked with this card or with UR points
  • Global entry fee waiver of $100 every five years

Annual fee of $395.

Then the Palladium either gets discontinued, or the benefits (and possibly the annual fee) get increased.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
.... United Lounge access for flights booked with this card or with UR points
Administrative nightmare.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
Administrative nightmare.
Are increased operations costs significant for similar benefits offered by Amex and Citi?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:42 am
mia

American Express does not restrict Delta lounge entry based on the card used to purchase the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.