Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:15 pm

how do you get Chase to expedite the platinum status?
I will be visiting in April
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
Why do you think it won't work?
I wouldn't expect it to work either as they are still considered the same product even though 1 is Visa and 1 is MC.
You may have luck however if you can churn it from X amount of days from your previous application which did have a bonus.

Additionally,
My SM reply from chase specifically mentioned that I wouldn't get the bonus points if I had gotten them previously
(whatever that means, 24 months previously? who knows)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by oyouno
I wouldn't expect it to work either as they are still considered the same product even though 1 is Visa and 1 is MC.
I don't mean to be difficult, but what conceivable basis do you have for saying that? The MC version is all of ~2 weeks old, so we have no definitive (or even reliable) data points on how Chase is handling the changeover to a MC product.

We have some historical data points indicating that Chase has issued bonuses to people hitting other Visa/MC pairs, such as the Ink Bold, in close sequence. (One poster claims to have held both simultaneously & gotten the bonuses.)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:28 pm

Dang, I've only had the Visa for 1 month. I already received and used my bonus points, but I don't want to anger Chase by cancelling so soon...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by waingro
Dang, I've only had the Visa for 1 month. I already received and used my bonus points, but I don't want to anger Chase by cancelling so soon...
I wouldn't risk that. Just take the hit and keep the visa.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by waingro
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I wouldn't risk that. Just take the hit and keep the visa.
Does Chase give you the option to refuse the changeover to a MC? If you really want a Visa and they insist that you have to have a MC or they'll close the account, it's not like you're the one creating the problem.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Does Chase give you the option to refuse the changeover to a MC? If you really want a Visa and they insist that you have to have a MC or they'll close the account, it's not like you're the one creating the problem.
You don't want to have an issuer close an account and risk having that notation on your credit report. It becomes a red flag later on sometimes. You'd be better not playing games and simply cancelling it. Then if you need to talk to Chase later on a recon and they (by chance, but unlikely) happen to mention it you can explain why you cancelled to the agent.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Sent secure message to close the IHG card 3 days ago and have yet to hear from them.

Anyone get a response?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Why would they close the account? I haven't heard anything about Chase giving you a choice. It's like that old Mafia joke about making you an offer you can't refuse.

They'll just send you the MC to replace the Visa. If you don't like it, it would be up to you to cancel, they aren't going to do it for you.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by allen060421
how do you get Chase to expedite the platinum status?
I will be visiting in April
SO called Chase and IHG a few times, but each time they kept saying they couldn't do anything. SO made min spend immediately upon receiving the card although I don't think that has anything to do with plat status.

Applied: 2/28/14
Plat Status: 3/14/14

About 2 weeks from application date, and there's at least 1 more report in this thread that also states 2 weeks.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by duranza
Sent secure message to close the IHG card 3 days ago and have yet to hear from them.

Anyone get a response?
Did that last week; it took a day or two to get a response that it had been closed. Defintely less than 3 days.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Brugge
Did that last week; it took a day or two to get a response that it had been closed. Defintely less than 3 days.
thanks.. got the message today.. now has anyone applied for the new card yet or does one have to wait till April 1st?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:04 pm

Got a VISA for this card even though I applied on 03/18/14 and no word about changing it to an MC... Sent Chase a Secure Msg to confirm awards and they told me 80K / 1K Spend. Sent them another SM to expedite the platinum status but no response yet. Sent the Plat Status SM last Friday 03/21 ... still waiting
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Cancelled my card and I'll play the waiting game to see if anyone reports success in getting the MC join bonus. I have better perks with Hyatt, SPG and Hilton so the loss of a free night really doesn't weigh that heavily upon me.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I've had my card since Fall '12 and have the free night. The sensible choice seems to be: Cancel the card. Only my continued plat status is in limbo.

Any idea how long you keep Plat after cancelling the card? (searched postings since Nov '13 and couldn't find any answers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.