Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:07 pm

I applied for and was instantly approved for the British Airways Visa Signature card with Chase 10 days ago (on the 19th), and would like to get the card to buy my plane ticket, but each time I call Chase, they say the account number has not been generated yet so they cannot issue a card. They verify that the account has been approved and everything. I have no clue what to do... anyone else experience this? I really would like to buy my airfare asap since I'm already within 7 weeks advanced purchase for the international trip I have planned....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FoxCrane
I applied for and was instantly approved for the British Airways Visa Signature card with Chase 10 days ago (on the 19th), and would like to get the card to buy my plane ticket, but each time I call Chase, they say the account number has not been generated yet so they cannot issue a card. They verify that the account has been approved and everything. I have no clue what to do... anyone else experience this? I really would like to buy my airfare asap since I'm already within 7 weeks advanced purchase for the international trip I have planned....
I would just put it on another card if I was even the least bit concerned about the airfare rising. You will eventually get your card, but not worth the risk of a dramatic increase in airfare for a few miles.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:35 pm

On 5/14, I applied for CSP and Ink Bold and was denied for both. Upon calling the recon line, I was told it was because I had opened too many cards recently. In the three months prior to that, I had opened the following:

1/28 – Chase Hyatt
2/18 – Barc Arrival
3/3 – Citi AA
4/18 – Citi AA
4/30 – Barc USAirways

After that denial, I decided to space out my applications into 91-day AORs as most here suggest. I am now coming up on the 91 day mark since my last successful app (the 4/30 Barc USAirways). I would naturally like to add some Chase cards into the mix. I have a couple of questions that seem to have been touched on but not squarely addressed in this thread:

1. Since Chase’s apps will ask if I have been denied credit by Chase in the last six months, is it the experience of most here that one should wait six months after a Chase denial to apply again? There seem to have been conflicting answers to this question in previous posts. I would hate to apply again now, get denied for not having waited six months, and then have to wait another six months (rather than just three more) to apply again.

2. If 91 days is an adequate wait time, would most suggest waiting 91 days after the last card I received or after the Chase denial?

As background, my credit score is very good (810), and I have a long history with Chase (15 years or so).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:31 am

What Chase card next?

Hello,
My Sapphire Preferred has come up for renewal. I've already spoken to Chase about dropping the annual fee and it was a flat out "no". They did encourage me to consider another one of their products before cancelling. I'm assuming that I can ask them to move my 25k credit line to another Chase Card but which one?

I have a Chase Freedom and have had both Southwest cards. I am considering the 70k Marriott card but airline miles are really my top priority for travel to the Caribbean. However, I'm sure we would have no problem finding a use for hotel points if I had them. LOL.

Any ideas? I won't get the INK because we do not have a business.

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:37 am

Cool Best Cards for my goals

Hey all! Long time lurker but just created an account because I think I am ready to start earnin points (and my big life credit needs are out of the way).

First, my goals are to earn points and miles to use for economy travel and hotel stays. I am not picky as to where and care more about not paying for trips and stays than I do for any status levels gain.

I am leaning towards getting the sapphire preferred and ink plus cards from chase and the Marriot because of its huge sign up bonus right now, but don't know if that is the best idea for what needs. Any better combos? I dont really want to start out with more than 3 cards until I get comfortable with how it all works. Any advice would be great.

Most of my past travel has been domestic US, but that is only because I dont have 5k to take my family of 4 out of the country. I would like to travel to Europe or the Carribean next year using points and miles, but not sure what my best route to take is.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by jobobcowman
Most of my past travel has been domestic US, but that is only because I dont have 5k to take my family of 4 out of the country. I would like to travel to Europe or the Carribean next year using points and miles, but not sure what my best route to take is.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

If your goal is to get a family of 4 to the Caribbean or Europe I suggest doing some manufactured speeding research as credit card signup bonuses won't cut it with the possible exception of churning the AA 100K card but that card does have a $10K spend and an stiff annual fee which you could possibly get stuck paying

You may also want to get our wife involved in the churning and MS game
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since the OP is interested in primarily Chase cards I'll move the thread there. I suggest the OP read the "Start Here" and "Applying for Chase Credit Cards.." threads .
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:02 pm

You probably won't get the sign up bonus if you're doing a product change, so evaluate the Marriott card without the 70k bonus. I got the 70k bonus last year but hardly ever use the card now since it takes forever to earn enough for a free night. The Hyatt card is probably a better option to keep since it has a lower annual fee, it's easier to earn a free night, and the annual night can usually be used at "better" properties than the Marriott. Another option would be to get another Freedom if you are able to maximize the 5% categories but you won't be able to transfer to hotels/airlines without the CSP or Ink Bold/Plus.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Don't do a product change. Apply for a new Chase card (whichever you decide has the bonus that will be of most use) and then call and move the credit line from the CSP over to the new card before cancelling. This is assuming you can afford another hard inquiry right now.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
New Chase United offer out, with a much bigger bonus than usual. Terms say: can't currently have the card; can't have gotten the bonus for it in the past 2 years.

I have it open, but have had it open for over 2 years. So if I cancel it now, then reapply before the Sept 2 deadline, I technically meet those terms. Anyone have any idea if Chase will go for this, since it would be a reapp in only a few weeks after cancelling? It used to be 2 years after the bonus, 12 to 18 months after cancelling, but I'm not hearing anything about cancel date lately. TIA
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Premier, Emerald Club, United
Has anyone else experienced a really long wait time to receive their card?

I was approved last Friday; they told me to call back in a couple days to get my card expedited once the account had been created. It has been a week, my Marriott Rewards account now shows me as silver, I have the elite nights credited...but still no card or account number.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:22 am

Never got a response to my earlier query. I'd really love to hear from others on the import of Chase's "denied credit in the last six months" question.

Thanks

Originally Posted by jleonard
On 5/14, I applied for CSP and Ink Bold and was denied for both. Upon calling the recon line, I was told it was because I had opened too many cards recently. In the three months prior to that, I had opened the following:

1/28 – Chase Hyatt
2/18 – Barc Arrival
3/3 – Citi AA
4/18 – Citi AA
4/30 – Barc USAirways

After that denial, I decided to space out my applications into 91-day AORs as most here suggest. I am now coming up on the 91 day mark since my last successful app (the 4/30 Barc USAirways). I would naturally like to add some Chase cards into the mix. I have a couple of questions that seem to have been touched on but not squarely addressed in this thread:

1. Since Chase’s apps will ask if I have been denied credit by Chase in the last six months, is it the experience of most here that one should wait six months after a Chase denial to apply again? There seem to have been conflicting answers to this question in previous posts. I would hate to apply again now, get denied for not having waited six months, and then have to wait another six months (rather than just three more) to apply again.

2. If 91 days is an adequate wait time, would most suggest waiting 91 days after the last card I received or after the Chase denial?

As background, my credit score is very good (810), and I have a long history with Chase (15 years or so).

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
jleonard,
I'd wait the full 6 months (don't apply for any cards) and then apply for 1 Chase card. If approved, wait another 31+ days and apply for another Chase card. Don't be in a hurry. You want Chase to love you. Then 3 months later start your quarterly AOR.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Premier, Emerald Club, United
Originally Posted by TheBraveLittleToasterOven
Has anyone else experienced a really long wait time to receive their card?

I was approved last Friday; they told me to call back in a couple days to get my card expedited once the account had been created. It has been a week, my Marriott Rewards account now shows me as silver, I have the elite nights credited...but still no card or account number.
Still no card or account number.

I called this morning and the person seemed perplexed I don't have an account number - it has been 10 days since I was approved.

They told me to maybe reach out to Marriott and see if there is a holdup on their end. I don't see any issue Marriott could have, they've already credited my account the upgrade to Silver Elite and have sent me the certificate for one free night.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
jleonard,
I'd wait the full 6 months (don't apply for any cards) and then apply for 1 Chase card. If approved, wait another 31+ days and apply for another Chase card. Don't be in a hurry. You want Chase to love you. Then 3 months later start your quarterly AOR.
Thanks for the advice, philemer. I might go into withdrawal waiting six months, but I do want access to Chase's line of products. I shall resist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.