Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GodelianKnot
Thanks for the advice. However, in order to use her foreign passport to travel, she needs to book the tickets in her old name (in order to get through security when returning from the foreign country, which will only accept the foreign passport, not a US greencard as ID). From what the MP site says, the name on their system must be exactly the same as the name that the tickets are booked in. If I change her name in MP, I won't be able to get miles for tickets booked in her old name.
I book tickets all the time from my own miles accounts for other people. For example, I recently booked a ticket using my Delta Skymiles for my son. My name isn't anywhere on the ticket, though the miles were from my account. We even have different last names. I've also booked a ticket for my spouse using my father's miles (again, different last names). I believe you can also transfer miles w/ UR/UA free between spouses. For example, if your wife earns points w/ her married name via her married name credit card, she could transfer the miles to you. And you could book her ticket, if you want. She could also just merge accounts down the road by explaining that her name changed but her passport took longer to catch up.

Edit: one last thing. If you are worried about her earning miles on flights, I'd book those tix in the name on her passport. Then I'd merge the accounts once passport is fixed. I think that would be just fine. Or transfer those miles over to you first, then start booking in married name. Call them...this isn't anything sneaky, it's a legit issue.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 17, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by GodelianKnot
I'm accumulating UR/UA points for future trips for my wife and I. I want to sign my wife up for the 50k (+$50) Explorer card for UA, but I'm concerned about her using a different name on her MileagePlus account, than on her bank accounts (including Chase).

Basically, she changed her name last year, and we've updated all her CC's and banks with the new name. However, she's not a US citizen yet, so getting her name changed in her home country would be a huge hassle, thus her (foreign) passport is in her old name. That means that her MP account is also in her old name, so that we can book tickets in her old name, so that she can use her passport to travel and it will match the ticket (and the MP account).

When I try the Explorer app, it pre-fills her old name and doesn't let me change it. I'm not sure she'll be approved with her old name, or what that all would entail if we tried it.

One possibility I've thought of is to create a new MP account for her for the purpose of this card and use her new name on that account. Would that work? In a few years, she'll be able to get a US passport with her new name, and then we can merge the accounts. Or else, use up the points in the old account before she switches to the new passport.

Looking for any advice on the situation. Thanks!

The only thing that you have to make sure that matches is the exact name and address on the Credit card app. Have to match the United FF acct that they will credit the miles to.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:02 pm

How long does it take to get a card? I applied last Wednesday and was told via phone I've been approved. I checked my united profile and it does show the united club membership ( applied for the club card).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl26
How long does it take to get a card? I applied last Wednesday and was told via phone I've been approved. I checked my united profile and it does show the united club membership ( applied for the club card).
Standard portal mail delivery times. (unless you ask Chase to expedite)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:18 pm

^ Thank you very much.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:11 pm

Uhh... am I going crazy or is this thread moving between forums?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:00 am

Thoughts:
Chase United Mileage Explorer Card:
Opened April 2012 (Points earned June 2012)
Closed April 2013

Can I churn today by reapplying? It has been 2 years since I opened and got the bonus points, but only 1 year since I last closed it.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:07 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mrnik2007
Thoughts:
Closed April 2013

Can I churn today by reapplying? It has been 2 years since I opened and got the bonus points, but only 1 year since I last closed it.
I would if I were you.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by mrnik2007
Thoughts:
Closed April 2013

Make sure you use the correct link for 50,000 plus 5,000 for authorized user and $50 statement credit. That one specifies eligible if haven't received sign on bonus within last 24 months. I've seen another link that says not eligible if you've ever received signin bonus.

That being said I already have my bonus points and statement credit in my account.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I was able to check via United site when the bonus posted for myself and husband and his was Dec. 14th ,2012 and mine Jan 11, 2013.

At that point the 50k offer will be dead so will it drop back down to 30k ?

Possibly msg to see if they would honor the 50k offer or is that too long of a period?
I remember trying to do this once and it was past a 30 day mark or something .
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duranza
I was able to check via United site when the bonus posted for myself and husband and his was Dec. 14th ,2012 and mine Jan 11, 2013.

At that point the 50k offer will be dead so will it drop back down to 30k ?

Possibly msg to see if they would honor the 50k offer or is that too long of a period?
I remember trying to do this once and it was past a 30 day mark or something .
Neither of you would be eligible.

Your husband's would become eligible AFTER Dec 14 2014 and yours would be Jan 11 2015.

If it were me I would wait till Jan 2015 for his and Feb 2015 for yours, given Chase language is for 24 months instead of exact date to date to count the 24 months...

The match offer time frame is 90 days.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Happy
Neither of you would be eligible.

Your husband's would become eligible AFTER Dec 14 2014 and yours would be Jan 11 2015.

If it were me I would wait till Jan 2015 for his and Feb 2015 for yours, given Chase language is for 24 months instead of exact date to date to count the 24 months...

The match offer time frame is 90 days.
That is what I am saying... that the eligibility would be AFTER those dates + 24 mos.

My only question is would the offer drop down to 30k?
Looking to book a flight in June so I need him to apply ASAP
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Make sure you use the correct link for 50,000 plus 5,000 for authorized user and $50 statement credit. That one specifies eligible if haven't received sign on bonus within last 24 months. I've seen another link that says not eligible if you've ever received signin bonus.

That being said I already have my bonus points and statement credit in my account.
Actually even the ones with the 24 months language (the new term), it continues having the old language in the Pricing and Terms, AND on the application page where it is under Certification, and you would need to check the box to acknowledge you read and agree on the terms before you could submit your app - guess what? The languages in the Certification section is the OLD language that says if you have earned bonus in this reward program before, you would not be eligible to receive another bonus ... That got some people freaking out. I am inclined to think that Chase does not bother to change the old languages virtually on ALL their cards, but prefers to just use a new pop up window under Offer Details for whatever current offers they decide to do. This gives the bank much more flexibility and much less cost as no need to constantly update the long-standing T&Cs.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posting for a friend:

He is a 21 year old Canadian citizen with US permanent residency. Lives with his parents and his dad will cover his CC bill. Wants to know if he could claim his dads income on a CC application.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Posting for a friend:

He is a 21 year old Canadian citizen with US permanent residency. Lives with his parents and his dad will cover his CC bill. Wants to know if he could claim his dads income on a CC application.
It depends. See the materials linked to in post #2323.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.