Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
For the second year in a row and on the same flight (CX845), my sister, a SL, got the elusive double Y-W-J birthday upgrade/op-up combo. Not sure if one or the other trumps per se; I assume both times the flight was oversold enough in Y that she was going at least get an op-up to W regardless, but they decided to move her up to J again as a birthday gift rather than op-up a GR or non-member originally booked in W.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by dkc192
For the second year in a row and on the same flight (CX845), my sister, a SL, got the elusive double Y-W-J birthday upgrade/op-up combo. Not sure if one or the other trumps per se; I assume both times the flight was oversold enough in Y that she was going at least get an op-up to W regardless, but they decided to move her up to J again as a birthday gift rather than op-up a GR or non-member originally booked in W.
I haven't flown on my birthday, and my wife only had once, which was a J->F birthday upgrade. However, I think birthday and milestone upgrades consider Y and W the same and will upgrade the passenger direct to the J cabin.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I haven't flown on my birthday, and my wife only had once, which was a J->F birthday upgrade. However, I think birthday and milestone upgrades consider Y and W the same and will upgrade the passenger direct to the J cabin.
Interesting...I do remember that lack of distinction between W and Y now that you bring it up. That said, last year I remember she first told me she was moved to W somewhere between T-12 and T-24, and then around T-6, voila, moved to J. Maybe what I described earlier was true in this case: an automatic, system-generated op-up to W, followed by manual intervention to move up to J on account of her birthday?

This year she seems to have moved from Y straight to J. Seat alert came at T-6 or so, and when she checked she was already in row 25.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by dkc192
Interesting...I do remember that lack of distinction between W and Y now that you bring it up. That said, last year I remember she first told me she was moved to W somewhere between T-12 and T-24, and then around T-6, voila, moved to J. Maybe what I described earlier was true in this case: an automatic, system-generated op-up to W, followed by manual intervention to move up to J on account of her birthday?

This year she seems to have moved from Y straight to J. Seat alert came at T-6 or so, and when she checked she was already in row 25.
I don't know if there is any system-generated upgrades, but CX usually does that the old style with human intervention.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
In the latest Journey magazine (May 2017) there is confirmation that they try to upgrade people on their birthdays. Not that this was something we didn't know, but it's the first time I've seen acknowledgement of the practice.

Partnership & Communications Manager, Marco Polo
Club Elaine Kwan explains the rationale for the innovative
birthday greeting. “We try to build our relationships with our
members,” she says. “If people are flying on their birthday,
there are already things we can do: we’ll try to upgrade you,
and you’ll get a signed card from the crew. The challenge
was to find this level of personalisation and engagement
when people aren’t flying on the day.”
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
In the latest Journey magazine (May 2017) there is confirmation that they try to upgrade people on their birthdays. Not that this was something we didn't know, but it's the first time I've seen acknowledgement of the practice.
Never got so... There was once that I need to write a complaint letter after my trip for the "wonderful" treatment at outport and onboard...

But of course I know I'm so "unique" that I'll get all sorts of "special treatment" like "seat filled" rather than "seat blocked", "redefinition" of "guarantee", "special" treatment on waitlisting at outport etc etc.... So YMMV...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Never got so... There was once that I need to write a complaint letter after my trip for the "wonderful" treatment at outport and onboard...
Mind sharing how they responded to your complaint?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by hadsst
Mind sharing how they responded to your complaint?
A can of reply (i.e. canned reply)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sscywong

But of course I know I'm so "unique" that I'll get all sorts of "special treatment" like "seat filled" rather than "seat blocked", "redefinition" of "guarantee", "special" treatment on waitlisting at outport etc etc.... So YMMV...
Ha!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Read in CX Secrets. Someone posted Birthday Upgrade is PRIOR to DM involuntary upgrade since Birthday Upgrade is voluntary upgrade.

Just FYI.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Read in CX Secrets. Someone posted Birthday Upgrade is PRIOR to DM involuntary upgrade since Birthday Upgrade is voluntary upgrade.

Just FYI.
Hence why your suggestion in the other thread may not be as practical as you may think.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by nolounge
Hence why your suggestion in the other thread may not be as practical as you may think.
The current birthday upgrade is prerequisite that YOU HAVE TO FLY ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. My suggestion is that no matter what Cathay will give you that birthday gift to use at your leisure.

Now, tell me which is more practical? Adjusting your flying schedule so you can fly on your birthday (and misses the chance to celebrate the big day with the people that loves you, and it's all because you wanted an upgrade? Really?), or, get a certificate to use anytime you wish?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Been lurking for a while as a fairly new CX/MPO traveler. I make about 6 long hauls a year from EWR-HKG, mostly flying PEY for the last 2 years.. Achieved GO last year and will probably stay there with that travel pattern.

Anyway, one of my colleagues, an MPC SL, just got the birthday upgrade upon check-in at EWR. Oddly enough it was a double op-up, Y -> J. I'm not sure of the exact Y fare class, but he claimed the agent said his Y ticket was a rather high fare class.

He said PEY was not full. I doubt the agent had the discretion to bump up 2 classes, so must have been the system.

Also of note, he flew the 77H out of EWR that morning, 6/18 CX899. Not sure why the equipment change. I've never had a 77H out of EWR, but have flown the 77H CX890, HKG-EWR
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
I'm pretty sure as long as a J seat is available, they will upgrade the member there. There have been anecdotes here as well of fanfare/redemption tickets that have gotten an upgrade to J so I doubt booking class is irrelevant maybe with the exception of a tie and limited seats available?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
A friend of mine is flying 4 days after his birthday, he is MPO Gold, will he get upgraded if there is any free seat in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.