Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Once CX withdraws from this route there will be no competition for QR, and so I would expect all their flights will use the slanty beds!
will really be a bummer if they go that way.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Once CX withdraws from this route there will be no competition for QR, and so I would expect all their flights will use the slanty beds!
But I guess QR is competing with many other carriers for HKG-EMEA traffic. I don't have the figures, but I'd imagine there aren't that many people travelling only between HKG and DOH.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I think you will see the opposite as QR will still be competing with CX/BA flights. I have never seen it confirmed but I believe the CX/QR arrangement on this route was to both fly the A330, there is no logical reason for QR to continue to send its lower quality product to one of the most important hubs in Asia.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
QR are refurbishing all of their A330s with the BE Aerospace Diamond seat, which is fully flat.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Genius1
QR are refurbishing all of their A330s with the BE Aerospace Diamond seat, which is fully flat.
sweet!

Originally Posted by GTR56
I think you will see the opposite as QR will still be competing with CX/BA flights. I have never seen it confirmed but I believe the CX/QR arrangement on this route was to both fly the A330, there is no logical reason for QR to continue to send its lower quality product to one of the most important hubs in Asia.
totally agree. I prefer EK for many DOH connections for that reason. I admit to using QR a number of times, but it's mainly when QR is just so much cheaper than EK you really cannot make the excuse. Overall ex-HKG I've taken to EK over QR. ex-HKG on EK has 3 nonstops, all 3 of which have F suites (2x A380 an 1x 77w), and these products absolutely blow away what QR flies to HKG. EK has some fairly inexpensive (as far as F fares go) F prices ex-HKG too. There is another flight via BKK I haven't flown before, but if you count that it's 4x dailies and that's an A380 also. I haven't flown EK's J class in a while but it looks like a flat bed, and there's the bar which J pax are also entitled to.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: CX DM
That's good news as fleet refurbishment to achieve product consistency may well override route specific competition dynamics.

Most airlines have no incentive to deploy their best hard product on a route unless a) the route is of serious commercial interest e.g. they wish to gain or protect their market share, AND b) there is real competition, whether direct or indirect.

On the DOH HKG route, I hope the argument for gaining market share from EK is of interest to QR. Otherwise they'll behave like a good monopolist with no incentive to roll out their latest and greatest hard product as the consumer has little choice.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
QR now has flat beds on all its longhaul fleet, with the exception of one A333 and a couple of A332 (to be retired). QR flies A332 to HKG and I don't think that they fly the slanty bed version to HKG (has not in the past month). The A332 has two versions of flat bed:
- The BE minipod with 2x2x2, same as on 777. These are very spacy although by pair (3 rows in the first cabin). Perfect for a couple.
- The BE Diamond 2x2x2. These are very narrow and they cram 4 rows in the first cabin. Still flat bed, but CX is much better IMO.
HKG gets an even chance for each.

There are rumours that they will substitute a 787, which would be great.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 1, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:37 am

I'd expect the opposite. Every other major APAC destination gets the A350/787/777 so i expect HKG will too. HKG is a major destination for European passengers and they will want to fight for all that traffic.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
The A332 has two versions of flat bed:
- The BE minipod with 2x2x2, same as on 777. These are very spacy although by pair (3 rows in the first cabin). Perfect for a couple.
- The BE Diamond 2x2x2. These are very narrow and they cram 4 rows in the first cabin. Still flat bed, but CX is much better IMO.
I thought the Minipod seats were angled and were being replaced by the Diamond fully flat seats?

I've only experienced the Diamond seats once before (on an AA Transcontinental A321) and thought they were quite narrow. They certainly aren't as good as the Super Diamond seat QR are installing on their A380s/A350s/787s.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought the Minipod seats were angled and were being replaced by the Diamond fully flat seats?

I've only experienced the Diamond seats once before (on an AA Transcontinental A321) and thought they were quite narrow. They certainly aren't as good as the Super Diamond seat QR are installing on their A380s/A350s/787s.
The Minipod can be made fully flat and that's what QR use on their 777s and some A332. There were four rows of angled Minipods in the A332 first cabin. They replaced them by 3 rows making them fully flat and put one row in the second cabin. Big amount of personal space (especially on 777 where the plane is wider but still with six seats per row). They are much better than the Diamond seats. Basically they put 24 Diamond in the same space where they put 18 Minipod, so you can guess how narrow the Diamonf seats are.
Yes, The Super Diamond solo seats on A380s/A350s/787s are indeed better.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX SL
Good news on this route !
Just got a call from Marco Polo Club, my award booking on QR640 in november is now operated by 787-800.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX SL
According to expertFlyer both QR640 and QR816 are switched to 787 from Nov. 1st
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
That is very good news.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ac used is always a lottery on QR even on short notice. Forecasts of the ac used 10 months from now is divination!
Sad that they do not introduce 787s earlier. But they might.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by brunos
The ac used is always a lottery on QR even on short notice. Forecasts of the ac used 10 months from now is divination!
Sad that they do not introduce 787s earlier. But they might.
They are currently dealing with slow A350 deliveries and expanding their fleet rapidly so you can probably understand its quite a challenge to deal with fleet allocation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.