Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:42 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_P...a-service.html

With increased destinations to the EU, guess there was no need to feed traffic into DOH.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Or the QR product was no match for CX.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by gemini573

With increased destinations to the EU, guess there was no need to feed traffic into DOH.
Increased destinations? MAD, DUS can hardly be called 'increased'... what about other destinations that CX doesn't serve notably in Scandinavia, and southern Europe.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
I guess we'll have to wait until LGW is announced, then probably they will codeshare with BA to their EU destinations and more.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Increased destinations? MAD, DUS can hardly be called 'increased'... what about other destinations that CX doesn't serve notably in Scandinavia, and southern Europe.
Ha, Guy Betsy are you performing selective memory (ZRH and MAN were both recently launched)? CX has absolutely expanded in Europe at a rather rapid pace, particularly of late.

6 years ago: 5 airports in Europe.
LHR, FRA, AMS, FCO and CDG.

Today: 9 airports in Europe, +1 more confirmed and awaiting launch
LHR, FRA, AMS, FCO, CDG, MAN, MXP, DUS, ZRH and MAD upcoming.

Scandanvia will happen in due course...but there is at least existing connectivity. Finnair flies 2x daily and SAS recently launched service ARN-HKG.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:26 am

I'm assuming the JV is dissolved then?

Originally Posted by sxc
Or the QR product was no match for CX.
Without CX on this route anymore, the workaround for guaranteed flat-beds on cheap QR business fares is gone. To avoid the roulette possibility of QR's slanty beds, you could just buy your QR ticket to whatever final destination, and make sure your ex-HKG sector was on CX metal. That way you got Cirrus and the flat bed on the HKG-DOH route and only flew QR on the next sector. I am not too privy to QR's fleet renovation plans, but I really hope by early 2016 there is 0% chance of getting a dreaded A332 slanty bed to/from HKG. Anyone know?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
I am booked on an AA award DOH-HKG-BNE.

I just checked my booking and my CX 640 flight DOH-HKG has been renamed to QR640 and has changed from A333 to A332 My seat bookings are also showing that it will be the older slanty bed J config 332. Super pissed

Specifically booked this award for flat beds from DOH back to Aus - now that won't be the case. Do I need to contact AA about this change as my reservation is no longer viewable on their site. I can still seee my booking on QR and CX sites respectively...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Kaiser_AU
I am booked on an AA award DOH-HKG-BNE.

I just checked my booking and my CX 640 flight DOH-HKG has been renamed to QR640 and has changed from A333 to A332 My seat bookings are also showing that it will be the older slanty bed J config 332. Super pissed

Specifically booked this award for flat beds from DOH back to Aus - now that won't be the case. Do I need to contact AA about this change as my reservation is no longer viewable on their site. I can still seee my booking on QR and CX sites respectively...
Contact AA to get this sorted.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:49 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Compared to three years ago. No question.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'm assuming the JV is dissolved then?
Correct. It's dissolved. Only codeshare will apply.

I also believe QR will reinstate their second daily after CX discontinues the flight. Likely to be operated by A330.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:04 am

I also believe QR will reinstate their second daily after CX discontinues the flight. Likely to be operated by A330.
I guess we could dream about QR flying the A350 or B787 to HKG? Their J class in the 787 is basically a newer, nicer version of CX's Cirrus IMO, and I hear their A350 is the same. Any idea if either of those planes would come to HKG for QR?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Unhappy NO!!! Booking to Hong Kong changed for the worse

Hi everyone,

Wonder if you can offer some advice. I'm normally over on the BA board but this relates to a CX/QR itinerary so first of all Hi!

Anyway, I booked an OSL to HKG via Doha Ex-Eu on Cathay's website when the sale was on and got a great deal.

Note the flights are over easter and back in first week in April so quite far off now.

The original setup was codeshare flight operated by QR on the 787 from OSL to DOHA then a 777 on Cathay from DOH to HKG. I was so happy as this meant i get to try both of these amazing products. This is all in J by the way

HOWEVER, just received an email from Myflights and upon checking the CX flights are now changed to QR so it's entirely QR operated from OSL through to HKG. Now this would be O K with me but the QR flight from Doha is now listing as a 332!!!

Obviously the 332 is the old QR product which kind of sucks as the CX 777 would have been lovely.

Flight times seem to have remained the same however.

My question is why would CX have the entire booking now operated by QR and secondly what hope have i of the flight being changed again from the 332 back to the CX 777.

the flight was originally CX640 which for dates in November is still showing as a 777 but on the day im going has changed to CX9290 (the aforementioned QR332)

Hope someone can make me feel a bit better, first world problems i know but im a bit gutted to be honest as I was looking forward to the lady and I experiencing both.

Last edited by SuitedandBooted; Oct 19, 2015 at 10:27 am
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Adam Shaw
Hi everyone,

Wonder if you can offer some advice. I'm normally over on the BA board but this relates to a CX/QR itinerary so first of all Hi!

Anyway, I booked an OSL to HKG via Doha Ex-Eu on Cathay's website when the sale was on and got a great deal.

Note the flights are over easter and back in first week in April so quite far off now.

The original setup was codeshare flight operated by QR on the 787 from OSL to DOHA then a 777 on Cathay from DOH to HKG. I was so happy as this meant i get to try both of these amazing products. This is all in J by the way

HOWEVER, just received an email from Myflights and upon checking the CX flights are now changed to QR so it's entirely QR operated from OSL through to HKG. Now this would be O K with me but the QR flight from Doha is now listing as a 332!!!

Obviously the 332 is the old QR product which kind of sucks as the CX 777 would have been lovely.

Flight times seem to have remained the same however.

My question is why would CX have the entire booking now operated by QR and secondly what hope have i of the flight being changed again from the 332 back to the CX 777.

Hope someone can make me feel a bit better, first world problems i know but im a bit gutted to be honest as I was looking forward to the lady and I experiencing both.

Hi Adam Shaw, what a coincidence because I just did the same thing! I booked OSL-DOH-HKG-SIN in Feb so that the OSL-DOH leg is on QR and the rest is on CX. Unfortunately, aircraft changes are subject to change however, call Cathay's customer service and they will be able to help. It happened to me last year and will a bit of persistence (and requesting to speak to a supervisor), I was able to change my flights for free. Definitely look at the timetable on CX's website and know which flight you want before calling.

Since your flight are in April 2016, this is the reason why your flights have been switched to be entirely on QR metal: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_P...a-service.html

I guess you could travel before then, or do a couple nights in SIN. The total price is very close and not much more. In addition, the new 777 with new biz seats do fly the HKG-SIN and SIN-HKG routes.

Another thing you might want to think about is booking on QR. The have a fare from OSL-DOH-HKG for only NOK155000 and to SIN for an extra NOK1500. If you use their promo code NEWLOOK15, you'll get a 10% discount on the fare as well. You might have to play around with the matrix to get the specific flights you want. They also have specific portions flown on CX which may be a little higher, but it's far less that what CX's website is offering.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
thanks for this however I've already paid and they are non refundable. I paid NOK 13034 per person so it was a very very good deal.

I'm going to have a look tonight. What I'm hoping is that its a temp thing and that they will be switched back
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire

it isn't a temp thing
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting as I flew this route last month on CX and the plane was full enough that I was op-upped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.