Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:37 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I guess we could dream about QR flying the A350 or B787 to HKG? Their J class in the 787 is basically a newer, nicer version of CX's Cirrus IMO, and I hear their A350 is the same. Any idea if either of those planes would come to HKG for QR?
It's definitely a nicer version of CX's seat. It's the A330 for now but as we know, things change on a dime's notice.

I've heard from a few that QR was the one that wasn't happy about this JV. There were a lot of conditions that CX placed before going into this JV.

Also, as I stated. There's no need to feed QR anymore as CX is expanding their European destinations. Expect more destinations to be announced.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:08 am

Unfortunately it won't be switched back as Cathay is discontinuing service to Doha. Maybe you could call in and switch to QR to BKK on their A380 then BKK to HKG on CX. They may be willing to work with you due to schedule change on their part.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:44 pm

not sure CX is in a position to just be giving up slots at HKG... sigh

CX has cut JED,AUH.DOH

for every gain there is a loss...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just my luck this!

Does anyone know how likely it is that I can get it changed by calling up.

Bit confuses as to who I would call now as CX don't seem to have much to do with it now bar the internal Beijing back to hkg flight I've tagged into the booking (gonna do a reward from hkg to pek)

Is it worth calling QR?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA, A3, AF
I would call the issuing carrier of the ticket. You can check that by looking at the first 3 numbers. If it is 160, then Cathay, if it is 157, then QR.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:19 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
The second daily flight that CX took over is now loaded as QR 645 HKG-DOH after 15 Feb. Both flights are still operated by A332.

@JeCCo That flight is normally full. I have a friend who does HKG-DOH on QR every other month and only buys Y cause he knows his chances of getting op up are very high. So far, he's had a 90% success rate.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
Hasn't CX640 always been a 333, not a 777?
Don't forget if you rebook onto a BKK service that could always be downgraded too - they are seeming to run an awful lot of a388 to BKK atm.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
Standard hoohaa from the QR news article from the man himself:

"Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “The resumption of our twice-daily services on the Hong Kong-Doha route will strengthen our competitiveness and leadership in one of the world’s key global aviation hubs. Next year will mark a decade of successful operations for Qatar Airways in Hong Kong and we are pleased to inform our Hong Kong-based passengers that they can look forward to our award-winning hospitality on board both daily flights departing from Hong Kong direct to our state-of-the-art home Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar, from February 16, 2016 onwards."

You'd think for one of the most important hubs they could atleast use the best equipment they have to offer if they want to remain competitive.
Particularly for a 7.5-8.0 hour flight departing at 0135 I would have thought sleep / flat seats would be a priority.

Here's hoping for some sense (ok..luck) and a change to 77W, 787 or take one of the A388 off BKK or a 359 off SIN to put onto HKG.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bostan
I guess you could travel before then, or do a couple nights in SIN. The total price is very close and not much more. In addition, the new 777 with new biz seats do fly the HKG-SIN and SIN-HKG routes.
....and you will be in for a surprise if you rely on SIN to experience CX's long haul J.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yes CX640 was indeed a 333 apologies, but its a better product than the Qr332. The ticket is 160 so its Cathay. Might call them but doubt there is much they can do.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Kachjc
not sure CX is in a position to just be giving up slots at HKG... sigh

CX has cut JED,AUH.DOH

for every gain there is a loss...
Not at all.

BTW, I doubt they're giving up slots. You really think CX will end up just being ho hum country bumpkins at HKIA? Some frequencies will increase elsewhere, an agreement will be struck and no slots will be lost.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
The thread "NO!!! Booking to Hong Kong changed for the worse" was merged into this thread. I apologize as the posts are somewhat interleaved.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
What's next? Going to cut Bahrain and Riyadh as well? If they cut these two destinations then might as well fly QR or EK for business trips and kiss CX goodbye.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:57 pm

For those of us who pay to fly economy via Doha on QR.... QR re-possessing the route from CX is actually good news, and QR keeping the A330 even better. (We secretly wish they would use a 777 instead, but also dread for the 787. The 787 is not the end of the world, but the TV screen can be in your face if the person in front reclines.)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:00 pm

Sad to see the Doha flight will be gone. This flight is always full, but as many of you mentioned, the yield should not be high. There was one time which 6 of us bought a cheap fare class QR ticket to Europe, and all 6 of us got upgraded even only 2 of us got status (silver only) in MPC.

The idea of cooperation between CX and QR is good in the first place. CX can benefit from QR’s network in Europe, middle east, Africa and South America, while QR can benefit from CX network in northern Asia, Taiwan and Australia / NZ. But I guess when they start work together, there are so many things that stopped them from continue the relationship. QR always flooded the market with low price, both in Y and J, are CX going to share the burden? When CX flight delayed and cause the 200+ passengers missed their QR connection flight, are QR going to bear this cost?

It’s good that they tried to work together. Now it was proven that it did not work out, hope this will not affect their relationship, as both airlines are good airline and under the same alliance, hope they will still find way to increase cooperation (e.g. more code sharing) and improve their influence in the increasing competitive global market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.