Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by phol
I've always had movies on my regional CX flights that were long enough to actually watch one.

I fly SGN - HKG weekly (perhaps why I am unusually sensitive on this point).
At 2.15 hours + taxi and tarmac time; you can watch a movie.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by brunos
Technically, they can leave it on. I remember watching during landing once like a year ago. But I think that it was indeed turned off when I flew in June.
BA keep it on and it seems the same system.

But, it could be that they found that the bumping at landing is not good for the system or that pax tend to lean to keep watching, so that turning it off make pax behave better for landing.
*OT here**
An ISM explained it to me a while back. While I'm not sure this is 100% correct (I didn't fully understand what she was saying, and I'm not really sure she understood what she was saying either), it was explained to me as follows:

*"xyz protocol in the 777, the system gets shut down as part of some pre-landing requirement. xyz protocol in the A333 does not include the shut-down required on the 777."

I left the conversation thinking in the 777, whatever electronic system CX has installed is slightly different from their A333s. I'm not sure if the 777 AVOD pre-landing shutdown is collateral damage of some other protocol the FAs have to follow that's unique to the plane, or the result of some supplier/wiring difference between the 777 and A333, but I do think there is some difference in the AVOD between the two manufacturer's planes regarding how long it stays active! The two planes I overwhelmingly fly on for CX are 33G and 77W, and there indeed has been a difference the last few times I've flown.

*back on topic**

does anyone have any idea WHEN exactly the presumably pending changes will be told to us!?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:27 am

ex-EWR in J the AVOD is on while the plane is on tarmac
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Here are my problems:
1.) MPC/Asia Miles does not give me a good path to award bookings. In fact, it sucks. Earn / burn is horrible compared to say AA, and - unlike even 3 years ago - as a Diamond I simply cannot get award bookings like I used to. I'm sure the bean counters back in revenue control think they're being clever releasing inventory 2-3 days out. But to me, I don't like the uncertainty and many times I just skip trying to upgrade if I can't book it earlier. Here's a real world example. Flight to LAX, I'm booked in J. I try to score mileage upgrade to F ~4 weeks out. Denied. I can see tickets are for sale, I ask MPC if they can check with supervisor...2-3 minutes later, denied again. I decide to forget it. At airport 4 weeks later...op-up to F! Excellent! Sitting in F with us? A lovely American family of 3 who had burned AA miles 6 months in advance. So, thank you CX for the free upgrade, but seriously, that's ridiculous. Handing out so many partner awards and then playing hardball with MPC/AM members. Not to mention the increasingly annoying hoops we have to jump through to score upgrade awards now, like no waitlisting unless a ticket is confirmed on the class underneath. Give me a break. How about allowing us to waitlist, and if it clears, give us 24 hours to buy the class underneath. I feel like I'm in business school 101 introduction to common sense.
It's not just happening to status pax like you, but even us mostly status-less folks at hongkongcard.com:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12092&p=17 #166 (originally tried to miles upgrade http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12092&p=15 #142)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 18, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by percysmith
Here are my problems:
1.) MPC/Asia Miles does not give me a good path to award bookings. In fact, it sucks. Earn / burn is horrible compared to say AA, and - unlike even 3 years ago - as a Diamond I simply cannot get award bookings like I used to. I'm sure the bean counters back in revenue control think they're being clever releasing inventory 2-3 days out. But to me, I don't like the uncertainty and many times I just skip trying to upgrade if I can't book it earlier. Here's a real world example. Flight to LAX, I'm booked in J. I try to score mileage upgrade to F ~4 weeks out. Denied. I can see tickets are for sale, I ask MPC if they can check with supervisor...2-3 minutes later, denied again. I decide to forget it. At airport 4 weeks later...op-up to F! Excellent! Sitting in F with us? A lovely American family of 3 who had burned AA miles 6 months in advance. So, thank you CX for the free upgrade, but seriously, that's ridiculous. Handing out so many partner awards and then playing hardball with MPC/AM members. Not to mention the increasingly annoying hoops we have to jump through to score upgrade awards now, like no waitlisting unless a ticket is confirmed on the class underneath. Give me a break. How about allowing us to waitlist, and if it clears, give us 24 hours to buy the class underneath. I feel like I'm in business school 101 introduction to common sense.
It's not just happening to status pax like you, but even us mostly status-less folks at hongkongcard.com:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12092&p=17 #166 (originally tried to miles upgrade http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12092&p=15 #142)
What do u think us peasants get when dms get nothing

Do u want a bone? No ure not getting it, we are giving it to the yanks
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Ha!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by kaka

Ha!
Sigh
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/07...s-this-autumn/

I consider the devaluation is back firing for BA.

BA is offering 500 bonus Avios points for every short-haul flight.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
The CX MPO will not be going down the SQ PPS Club as this model does not suit CX they award miles for oneworld partner flights and not limiting to just CX flying (as the latter does not fly to all destinations).

PPS Club is very restrictive to SQ F and J class flying where CX wants to keep it as wide as possible to include oneworld flying.

To increase revenue on CX flying, they might provide specific incentives and I think they will abolish the sector credit to avoid making it too easy for short haul flying (i.e. influx of Mainland Chinese members flying back and forth from China to Hong Kong).

Just my 2 cents worth on my thoughts.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
The CX MPO will not be going down the SQ PPS Club as this model does not suit CX they award miles for oneworld partner flights and not limiting to just CX flying (as the latter does not fly to all destinations).

PPS Club is very restrictive to SQ F and J class flying where CX wants to keep it as wide as possible to include oneworld flying.

To increase revenue on CX flying, they might provide specific incentives and I think they will abolish the sector credit to avoid making it too easy for short haul flying (i.e. influx of Mainland Chinese members flying back and forth from China to Hong Kong).

Sector credit should go or not had been discussed earlier... If I remember correctly there was no conclusion but sector flyer like me could probably contribute more to CX than some mileage flyer...

Say V to TPE is at least HK$2K for 1002 miles, while V to JFK is less than HK$15K giving you 17552 miles... Not to say HKG-PEK and PVG are two golden eggs with lots of Y and J (booking class) flyers...

Of course for sector based members transit passengers is essentially halving their qualification requirement, but as discussed earlier as well they give up the convenience of direct flight so this is needed to "encourage" outport passengers to take CX rather than direct flight...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
We've heard bits and pieces but so far I haven't heard anything concrete how DMs are really going to come out ahead (sure, more $$ = more miles but what's the point if there's no inventory?) I just hedged myself and thought I share the details in case you qualify (and didn't know but want) to do the same.

So we know AA won't match our DM status and I for one don't feel like starting from scratch. If your firm does biz with AA, give your corporate TA a call and see if your firm's employee qualify for AA 'corporate' status challenge. Unlike the public challenge, no status on other airlines is required so I sign up for free EXP challenge (which from reading the AA forum is usually only available if you have UA 1K which I don't). You need to fly 25k EQP in 3 months with AA or its JV partners (so no to QR or CX but yes to BA, JL, QF, etc). Upon completion you get OWE till Feb 2017 + 50k bonus AA miles.

If you qualify and have a flight to spare, I think it makes sense to sign up even if you decide to stay with MPC which I may do depending on how things turn out. I did the math for myself - one return trip to SE Asia in J means I have enough miles (miles flown + J cabin bonus + EXP status bonus + challenge bonus) for one return US - NE Asia trip in J on CX using AA miles. I try to stay on the righteous path but with an offer like that ... who knew joining the dark side can be so rewarding.

It may differ from firm to firm but our last day to activate this challenge is third week of Sep (which is when I will start my challenge).
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
Originally Posted by 380Flyer

PPS club is to award flying in J and F on SQ. SQ is in the star alliance as much as CX is in oneworld. It just means that to achieve highest tier within CX, one has to fly J and F and not just Y. It doesnt affect oneworld as it can still offer diamond status to be equivalent of OWE , just like how Qantas has platinum equivalent of OWE but a higher tier such as Platinum One where the greatest benefits are. So what CX could do is to create such as a diamond plus where it will have the greatest benefits compared to diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.