Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by d00t
I'm sure there were many long nights and heated discussions about moving towards a revenue based FF program. It's a big gamble.
Methinks that article posted above (from Business Traveler) is second-hand nonsense. If you read through the link, they don 't have any original info in there...their "source" is just quoting the well-known Apple Daily article where Ivan Chu made a few remarks about Silvers probably getting less lounge access, changing earning rates, etc. All well-known info already.

We've got changes coming up, but the actual details have been very sparse. I haven't seen anything of note since the Apple Daily information and Ivan Chu's public comments. Most of aviation and frequent flier "news" seems to be fanboys requoting one-another in an extended game of telephone.

Don't fret yet! There's still a chance for CX to get this right.

Originally Posted by alphaod
Maybe we'll finally see how much is needed to get DP?
That would be a welcome improvement!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Originally Posted by d00t
I'm sure there were many long nights and heated discussions about moving towards a revenue based FF program. It's a big gamble.

I have analysis data on thousands of oneworld flights showing the value curve of frequent flyers by fare type and the FFP they are best crediting miles to. No doubt CX have done similar analysis VS other competing programs in the region.

The biggest risk of moving towards a revenue program is anyone who buys economy fares may quickly re-evaluate their position. While not a bad thing for CX, it's the long term implications of a model that are yet to be tested. We were all economy class passengers once upon a time...
Fly enough Y and the $$$ add up. Economy still isn't free
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by sixpaq
Thats still gonna be a lot of flying.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sixpaq
Mile to mile my company paid Y tickets is much more valuable then the C or D class tickets I bought for my own travel

I guess CX knows this... Guess...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Don't fret yet! There's still a chance for CX to get this right.
True ... but doesn't CX usually get it wrong the first try??
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hey folks - as QRC3288 and others have mentioned - the inability to upgrade a reasonable time in advance is a pet peeve with the MPC for a lot of us. While I don't have a clue about J->F, given only 6 seats, had a positive experience for a R->J upgrade.
I'm glad to hear you had success R-J. That's the biggest potential stick-in-the-eye from CX, because they only allow upgrading from W or R (not E). So some folks - I know alphaod brought this up a few days ago - buy R fare hoping to upgrade, but then can't. So you pay more to play the lottery and lose. Doesn't leave a nice taste I can imagine. Versus J class, where all four fare subclasses J, C, D and I are upgradeable to F. IMO, R->U guaranteed redemption for DMs (or perhaps GOs too) if there are seats for sale would go a long way towards restoring some goodwill.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
If they get consistent with this & seat blocking (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...eat-block.html), I might be incentivized to stick with the MPC, even if it requires me to send some travel CX's way where they might not have the most optimal routing/fare.
I totally agree - if I feel the mileage program is a fair shake, seat blocking returns consistently, and if onboard consistency is back to stay, it's certainly easier for me to book ~80% of my travel on CX. As it stands, this year on a travel basis CX/KA is closer to ~50%, and CX's dollar share for my travel is <50%, due to me flying CX on the cheaper fares (D, I) while competitors are earning the higher fare classes. It has been an eye-opening experience to see how solid the long-haul products from competitors - namely, BR, SQ and EK - are. And the driver behind that switch was this thread. I will say based on one brief visit last week, the Pier F is stunning, the on-board recognition issue seems to have rectified itself (I suspect the ~6 months of chaos were due to tech issues following the Amadeus switch), so my biggest outstanding issues are using Asia Miles to book redemption tickets, and how we are at a bizarre relative disadvantage booking our own metal versus other OW partners. A smaller issue is the ongoing lounge crowding, which is probably partially rectified due to Pier F opening, but made worse in the J lounges due to Pier J closing.

That said, I'm still having issues with the seat block, which I'll continue in the thread you linked to/started.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
My wish for CX managament

I would like them to fly SQ regional J class and compare it to CX's offering, especially:
  • Seat - quality, size, comfort, recline
  • Amenities - check out the lovely new pillows and blankets on SQ
  • Food - no contest.
  • IFE - movies on SQ shorthaul. Not on CX
  • Headphones - on CX I always unpack and use my Bose since CX headphones in J are so crap. On SQ, I'm usually satisfied enough with their stock headphones to forgo the hassle.

Flew CX regional J last night after prior 6 flights were all in SQ regional J. I felt like I was in a premium economy seat on CX.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have moved a number of posts related to award waitlist clearing for diamonds to a separate thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...xperience.html

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I would like them to fly SQ regional J class and compare it to CX's offering, especially:
[*]IFE - movies on SQ shorthaul. Not on CX
I've always had movies on my regional CX flights that were long enough to actually watch one.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by phol
I've always had movies on my regional CX flights that were long enough to actually watch one.
true - I agree with all of Jane's Addiction's points but perhaps that one. (his/her overall message is right on the money, however).

Cathay has movies enabled to Singapore, which is one of the shortest segments by which you can actually get a full two hour movie down. PVG is the exception, whereby movies are enabled but then again, ex-PVG flights are delayed so often anyway...I got halfway through American Sniper on the tarmac alone a few weeks ago.

Note there is a difference between Airbus and Boeing regarding when AVOD must be turned off. On one of the two (I think it's on Cathay's 777s) AVOD switches off significant prior to landing.

The disabling of movies on regional routes is not my beef with CX, but all his/her other recommendations about mgmt flying SQ regional are so accurate. CX regional J is just not in the same league as SQ J regionally, particularly since SQ rolled out that new product and (in my situation) how easy it is to predict your metal HKG-SIN on Singapore. For longhaul metal, SQ sends 2x 77Ws daily, 1x A380 daily in addition to the 772s and A333s, and the longhaul birds go when the schedule says so.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:11 pm

Note there is a difference between Airbus and Boeing regarding when AVOD must be turned off. On one of the two (I think it's on Cathay's 777s) AVOD switches off significant prior to landing.
777 AVOD gets turned off before landing as i always watch the nose wheel camera, usually about 20 minutes before touchdown. In reality its unusable from the moment the Captain announces descent as you're bombarded by announcements about safety, donations, connections, duty free and everything else the crew can think of in at least two languages.

I've never paid enough attention to notice if the A330s do it differently?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by phol
I've never paid enough attention to notice if the A330s do it differently?
Yes sir, indeed they do! AVOD on CX's Airbuses runs through touchdown. Know this can make a difference if you're trying to binge watch a bunch of episodes from a season!

So yea: 777 AVOD gets turned off about 20 minutes before A333.

These are the fun things you worry about when you fly way more than you should.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Yes sir, indeed they do! AVOD on CX's Airbuses runs through touchdown. Know this can make a difference if you're trying to binge watch a bunch of episodes from a season!

So yea: 777 AVOD gets turned off about 20 minutes before A333.

These are the fun things you worry about when you fly way more than you should.
I don't think that's true for longhaul 777s. They enhanced the avod system and the system can be turned on before takeoff (you can watch movies if taxi delays) and off after landing. That has been my experience in F/J in all my 77W flights for over a year. Don't know for regional 777 or in Y.

To return to the original title of the thread, six months have passed and nothing has been announced or leaked. Having over 800 posts based on a single side comment seems a lot.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I don't think that's true for longhaul 777s. They enhanced the avod system and the system can be turned on before takeoff (you can watch movies if taxi delays) and off after landing.
Yes, before takeoff the 77W system works for sure. That is correct, and it changed perhaps a year ago if not sooner. But I still think you're mistaken prior to landing? I'm pretty sure the 77W pushes you to the map/outside camera view prior to touchdown. Whereas the A333s do not. I was just watching the Sopranos last week landing on CX883 from LAX (77W). Show turned off and I was booted out to the map screen at around 10k feet. Last week I am certain I got booted out well before landing, because I couldn't finish the episode.

Originally Posted by brunos
To return to the original title of the thread, six months have passed and nothing has been announced or leaked. Having over 800 posts based on a single side comment seems a lot.
Ha, indeed....and it has even changed some of my economic behavior! I don't think I would've flown BR long-haul had it not been for this thread
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Yes, before takeoff the 77W system works for sure. That is correct, and it changed perhaps a year ago if not sooner. But I still think you're mistaken prior to landing? I'm pretty sure the 77W pushes you to the map/outside camera view prior to touchdown. Whereas the A333s do not. I was just watching the Sopranos last week landing on CX883 from LAX (77W). Show turned off and I was booted out to the map screen at around 10k feet. Last week I am certain I got booted out well before landing, because I couldn't finish the episode.
Technically, they can leave it on. I remember watching during landing once like a year ago. But I think that it was indeed turned off when I flew in June.
BA keep it on and it seems the same system.

But, it could be that they found that the bumping at landing is not good for the system or that pax tend to lean to keep watching, so that turning it off make pax behave better for landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.