Reload this Page >

Careers Involving a lot of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Careers Involving a lot of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
This is likely a minority opinion in the flyertalk world, but I have been extremely lucky with the agricultural sector. There are few people who have the knowledge and the desire to operate around the world in this business. Yes, there are the frequent trips to Siberia in some cases (as per my name) but as long as you find an employer who sees the light on Business Class travel, and extend your connections at the more popular spots (read: connections) in Europe and such, you can experience a ton along the way.

I do 120,000 miles or so per year in 8-10 trips, have been to 8 countries this year, no trips over 10 days (for work anyway). This after only 7 years in the industry, and with a BA... and the pay is very good, as there is a shortage, as mentioned, of people that have what it takes...

PS - this a no poop job. A little dirt, and a lot of vodka...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I once did the "prep all weekend, 3 flights to nowhere and drive to dirty warehouse to start due diligence" trip, only to show up and discover (to my delight, actually) that I was allergic to the client and would have to turn around and go home. The investment bankers had forgotten to tell my law firm that the client (which manufactured penicillin-based drugs) had prohibited the staffing the deal with any junior staff from the law, banking and accounting firms (ie those who would be crawling around in the warehouse or handling its documents) who were allergic to penicillin. Which I was. So, a long trip for nothing (except the miles) - but it kept me out of the office for a little while and I managed to avoid some other work because people thought I was busy on the bacteria file.
Kate,

I am very interested in learning more about the (second) type of job you have mentioned. I was hoping to take up a moment of your time and learn more about the skills needed to excel in the career path you have chosen to see if I could be a good candidate for this career as well. Is there a convenient way to contact you without having to post our contact information on the forum?

Best,

Molly
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:35 pm

title

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
You should be more precise in your question. The right question is: "Which kinds of careers involve travel that you will actually enjoy (at least sometimes)?" For example, I know people whose weekly routine involved "get up at 4 am on Monday, take 3 connecting cheap economy flights to nowhere, rent a car and drive to the back of nowhere, spend workweek and most evenings in a dirty factory counting widgets, stay in Motel 6, fly home on Friday, write report on weekend during free time and get up and do it again the next week".

Or you could have a job like the one I used to have: (1) monitor international developments and develop contacts around the world in an interesting subject; (2) travel 8-12 times per year for about a week at a time (about 2/3 long-haul to major cities in Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ in bus class; the rest short-haul to major US cities flying direct); (3) spend the day in interesting meetings and conferences with colleagues; (4) spend the evenings exploring the city and eating/dining out in local restaurants with local hosts; (5) stay in 4* hotels (sometimes 5*); (6) add a few vacation days to business trips so I could spend the weekend exploring further; and (7) use contacts as a springboard to move abroad ...
Hi kate, I was wondering what the title of the second job was so that I can research it a little more. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.