Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Careers Involving a lot of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lornag
Some government departments do have a travel mandate, and do hire grads, but then you have to work for the government, and that's probably not for everyone.
But in the same breath, I'm not convinced that private sector is much better. It's the same office bureaucratic and political crap everywhere. It is important to keep this in mind.

Last edited by YOWkid; Nov 15, 2005 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:42 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by YYC-YYJ
Hey Everyone,

I'm a business student at the University of Calgary and I'm considering potential careers available to me.

I'm trying to figure out what type of job requires a lot of travel. This is something I'd like to try out (for a little while at least). As a young person with no family attachments it seems like being mobile (either throughout Canada or Internationally) would be an interesting career.

What do you think? For someone with a business education of course.

Furthermore, I am currently seeking employment for this summer (potentially leading to permanent after I graduate) . I'm a Bcomm/BA (Economics) student. My past experience is in public practice accounting and M&A Advisory. If ANYONE has any openings in their company for one of the top business students in calgary (I have a resume that attests to this) could you please PM me? I can go into details in private since this is not the place.

Thanks,
KB
You can be an F/A, I mean, you DO have a degree in business! Perfect fit .
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: aeroplan multi level!
Automotive component manufacturing

To start really seeing the "other" world out there find a job in project management for an automotive component manufacturer, preferably a European one with offices in North America.
As the "junior" you will get all the arm pit places with big problems as the boss will take all the easy trips.
Be prepared for Hermosillo in August, Twin Cities in February, Sao Paulo, Mexico City and Puebla anytime, Detroit/Chicago in winter.
But there are also some real secrets that we don't let the boss know about, Salvador, Brazil in the Winter, we claim it is a dirty dangerous place, but this is where Brazilians go on holiday as it is beautiful and there are no foreign tourist, Brazilians think Rio is a dump!!!!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YOWkid
But in the same breath, I'm not convinced that private sector is much better. It's the same office bureaucratic and political crap everywhere. It is important to keep this in mind.
That's simply not true. Perhaps it's somewhat true for mammoth private sector companies like banks (which are really quasi-government companies). In a truly competitive environment the "office bureaucratic and political crap" you speak of can easily cause a company to fail. How often have you heard of some division of the ministry of whatever shutting down because some offshore startup produced a better product and took all its customers?

The private sector is more demanding but it's also more rewarding.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by After Burner

The private sector is more demanding but it's also more rewarding.
Risk and return...we should teach that in kindergarten.

Lorna
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Lornag
Risk and return...we should teach that in kindergarten.

Lorna
Then we might have gangs of 5-year-olds robbing banks.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by After Burner
Then we might have gangs of 5-year-olds robbing banks.
Ok...then how about "there is no free lunch" Similar concept. Or, "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is", It's amazing how many people don't really get this concept.

Lorna
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: None. I'm cured.
My advice is to think about being a bus driver.

Lots of travel every day and you get to sleep in your own bed every night.

IMO, a lot of business travel is not as glamerous as it sounds.

I really, really like my own bed.

MCM.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Minicooperman
My advice is to think about being a bus driver.

Lots of travel every day and you get to sleep in your own bed every night.

IMO, a lot of business travel is not as glamerous as it sounds.

I really, really like my own bed.

MCM.
I really, really like the Hilton Serenity Dreams bed and the Weston Heavenly bed...but point well taken.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:56 pm
dky

be careful of what you wish for...

be careful of what you wish for.

Many of those who have a job that requires a lot of travel can tell you it's not worth it. Layovers, delays, relationships break, rapid deterioration of health, higher cost of living, etc are just some of the less-glamourous things associated with a job with a lot of travel tagged onto it. Perhaps these won't affect you now, but you'll surely pay the price later. I am.

As a suggestion, you'd probably want a job that's a little more balanced with travel opportunities... (attending conferences to advance yourself, paid by company). Or a job that pays you better so you can travel at your leisure.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a business student at the University of Calgary and I'm considering potential careers available to me.

I'm trying to figure out what type of job requires a lot of travel. This is something I'd like to try out (for a little while at least). As a young person with no family attachments it seems like being mobile (either throughout Canada or Internationally) would be an interesting career.

What do you think? For someone with a business education of course.

Furthermore, I am currently seeking employment for this summer (potentially leading to permanent after I graduate) . I'm a Bcomm/BA (Economics) student. My past experience is in public practice accounting and M&A Advisory. If ANYONE has any openings in their company for one of the top business students in calgary (I have a resume that attests to this) could you please PM me? I can go into details in private since this is not the place.

Thanks,
KB
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cur
Enough with the F/A route.

There are two sides to Bcomm grads, yes there are some of my fellow students that I personally wouldn't trust to be my bank teller.

BUT, I do believe that I have a VERY marketable skill set. Last summer I worked on a debt-equity deal as a consultant and billed them 8800 for three weeks work.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by miserablewithAC
Pantywaists! The OP was looking for jobs with lots of travel, not travel AND comfort!

MWAC
Travel and comfort are an oxymoron after awhile. Regardless of J class F class, lie flat or sit up straight seats and 5 star hotels.... your body is still your body, and jet lag is still jet lag.

I fly 100+ segments a year on the aforementioned International in J/F and 4 connections on Podunk Airways to get to armpit WI (no disrespect to WI residents). every year in around June I swear it is time to quit and then the next deal comes in and off I go again!

My advice look for jobs with lots of travel and a career path that pays you big bucks, while allowing you to decide how much travel you want to do.

DF

P.S. Jobs like that do exist. I have one designing fraud detection systems for major companies on a global basis.

Last edited by Doc Fraud; Nov 15, 2005 at 4:38 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
my dad used to travel about 30 - 40K a year, mostly YVR - YYZ, and always in J, because his company paid for it, and he did not enjoy it at all, and he was often on 333's and the like. I on the other hand love flying, however the most enjoyment comes when I can tell myself that I am doing it for myself, like my run to HNL, a 6 hour flight on a 767 is no fun, especially when it is a red-eye, however the fact that I was doing it for myself made it all that much better, and I had no problems with it. Being told you have to fly somewhere would not be fun, especially when your going there for work, not to explore the city. Good luck with job hunting, I will be at that point in just over a year myself, although I really don't want to leave here.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
Originally Posted by cur
Actually, most F/A's hired now have university degrees. At AC there are BComm's, P.Eng's, teachers, lawyers, MBA's, a few dentists. They love the travel... and if you're just looking for a summer job, they're hiring this weekend in YUL for next summer.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:12 pm

Enough with the F/A route.

There are two sides to Bcomm grads, yes there are some of my fellow students that I personally wouldn't trust to be my bank teller.

BUT, I do believe that I have a VERY marketable skill set. Last summer I worked on a debt-equity deal as a consultant and billed them 8800 for three weeks work.
East-West, itsounds like he is too good for the job with all those marketable skills and all. Then again it sounds like it might be a tight fit getting his head through the aircraft door.

I miss those days myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.