Reload this Page >

Careers Involving a lot of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Careers Involving a lot of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:37 pm

Could you tell me the exact name of this job/career?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:13 pm

Some focussed reiteration here:

1. Above all, choose something you will enjoy doing. As you've seen tonnes of jobs involve travel and once you've found an area you enjoy you can start focussing on specific positions/companies/organizations that might have more travel.

2. If you don't love what you are doing for work, the travel will be a curse, not a blessing.

3. If you want to live abroad for a few years consider short-term work programs offerred by various governments in Europe, Asia, Australia.

4. Consider the Foreign Service (lots of well-supported travel here, on the government's coin), but this is more of a long-term commitment.

5. Other option: find a job where you have significant vacation time, you can travel on your own coin to places you actually want to go. Also can consider other humanitarian travel (where certain jobs may give you extra leave to do this.)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by ACB777
1. Above all, choose something you will enjoy doing.
+1

Travel is secondary to the job, itself. Don't focus on the wrong goal.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ACB777
2. If you don't love what you are doing for work, the travel will be a curse, not a blessing.
+1

When people don't enjoy their work, getting on that plane seems like torture.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
+1

When people don't enjoy their work, getting on that plane seems like torture.
especially when you have to fly in the back....
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
especially when you have to fly in the back....
Believe it or not, I fly in the back all the time!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by JMB_YEG
Academia is a super one for travel. As a research-active faculty member, I travel around 120,000 miles/annum to give talks at universities and conferences worldwide + lots of consulting. It would mean a little longer for grad school, but the flexibility of this job is super.
Amen to that (Volcanologist/Geologist at major Ca. Institution. Hence the screen name. March was interesting, missed several trips due to 'Big E' and even flew right over the top with AC on the way back... got lots of cool pics for the next talk much to the bemusement of the FAs!)

But, seriously, I never thought I would travel this much when I started out as a young grad student, and indeed this (travel) was not the goal. I think as long as you need to do something you enjoy, the rest will follow, including travel.

VM
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:33 pm

Kate_Canuch, you mentioned that you had a job

"Or you could have a job like the one I used to have: (1) monitor international developments and develop contacts around the world in an interesting subject; (2) travel 8-12 times per year for about a week at a time (about 2/3 long-haul to major cities in Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ in bus class; the rest short-haul to major US cities flying direct); (3) spend the day in interesting meetings and conferences with colleagues; (4) spend the evenings exploring the city and eating/dining out in local restaurants with local hosts; (5) stay in 4* hotels (sometimes 5*); (6) add a few vacation days to business trips so I could spend the weekend exploring further; and (7) use contacts as a springboard to move abroad ... "

What exactley was you job tital, I am in the process of changing careers and this is along the same line of a career I am looking for
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Junior auditor! In a big auditing firm, they won't let you out unsupervised but they'll let you carry the suitcases of senior auditors whenever they go out and audit larger customers. In companies with their in-house auditing departments, they'll send you where no one else wants to go!

If it's oil and gas you want, go to Houston. They'll send you off to Africa regularly. The Houston Express might be the best part of the trip even. No FF miles on that one though.

In my experience, your own professors are a better source of career advice than anyone else at univ. They know you better, and they usually have private sector contacts still, they can make a great match. One of my professors got me started on a fun career I would never have thought of on my own.

Originally Posted by why fly
my flights are seldom less than 12 hrs and now the customers make us fly to Asia.... why to make 2 hr presentations... [eg. Wallymart]
Lucky dog, can we trade? North America (diff places) to BRU, not-quite-an-hour meeting at the EU, and back to the airport! I get a hotel room, for all of 30 minutes, to change and shower. Haven't done one of those in over a year, thank God.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
OP - be very careful what you wish for. The scenario of getting up at 4 am Monday to take three connecting flights to get to Bunghole Arizona (sorry AZ peeps) so you can work like a dog 12 hours a day, sleep in the crappy Super-8, eat at McDonalds then fly home Friday nights and spend the weekend listening to your spouse file for divorce is much more the norm than the exception.

If your idea of a career with lots of travel looks like George Clooney's Up In The Air character, you're probably going to be disappointed.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Some jobs in government have a lot of travel.
...to such glamorous locales as Winnipeg, Regina and if I'm really lucky, Ottawa.

Glamorous isn't even close to describing it
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:40 pm
PMM

Hi

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
...to such glamorous locales as Winnipeg, Regina and if I'm really lucky, Ottawa.

Glamorous isn't even close to describing it
Apply to External Affairs as a diplomatic courier, if you want travel.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
OP - be very careful what you wish for. The scenario of getting up at 4 am Monday to take three connecting flights to get to Bunghole Arizona (sorry AZ peeps) so you can work like a dog 12 hours a day, sleep in the crappy Super-8, eat at McDonalds then fly home Friday nights and spend the weekend listening to your spouse file for divorce is much more the norm than the exception.

If your idea of a career with lots of travel looks like George Clooney's Up In The Air character, you're probably going to be disappointed.
Have you been eavesdropping? Are you my nosy neighbour?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Consulting...

I consult for a living for a big software company. I usually get the client to foot a corporate apartment whereever I go, and I've been in apartments in Chicago, Hartford, northern NJ and even toronto. I go home every couple of weeks to make sure the house hasn't burned down.

I love my bed at home and love my home, but as long as I'm travelling every week I don't get tired of it. Travelling every single week loses its luster pretty quickly to me, and staying in the Marriott or the Hilton every week also loses its luster to me.

Now, i love my job, and that's the most important thing. If you don't like the job, then you'll hate the travel!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by boymimbo
I consult for a living for a big software company. I usually get the client to foot a corporate apartment whereever I go, and I've been in apartments in Chicago, Hartford, northern NJ and even toronto. I go home every couple of weeks to make sure the house hasn't burned down.

I love my bed at home and love my home, but as long as I'm travelling every week I don't get tired of it. Travelling every single week loses its luster pretty quickly to me, and staying in the Marriott or the Hilton every week also loses its luster to me.

Now, i love my job, and that's the most important thing. If you don't like the job, then you'll hate the travel!

For the non-BComms reading this thread, boymimbo brings up another field of work I have noticed has a lot of constant travel, IT consulting, especially if you can get in a niche like information security e.g. CISSP stuff.

As for getting tired of constant flying, I could see that, but not the bit about the Marriott/Hilton. Having stayed in a downtown Toronto hotel for a solid month straight, it never seemed to lose its lustre for me. Was def nice to come 'home' to a clean and tidy room every day without any effort on my part

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.