Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Originally Posted by BLG
BA is the only airline I'm familiar with that restricts F seat assignments at time of booking to elites.
I was under the impression that if you were flying First with BA, whether it's a full-fare (F), restricted (A), or an award seat (Z), that you'd be able to choose your seat at time of booking, regardless of status.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Echo J
I was under the impression that if you were flying First with BA, whether it's a full-fare (F), restricted (A), or an award seat (Z), that you'd be able to choose your seat at time of booking, regardless of status.
Hi,

In F, regardless of status , you can select all seats ( apart from 1 A/K ( reserved for Golds/Premiers) on the 747-400, not sure on the 777)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 25, 2008, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by BLG
For it's best customers, BA is offering an important perk that undoubtedly helps build allegiance and loyalty. Makes sense to me, even if it exasperates me when, as a lowly Blue, I have to sweat it out at T-24. Motivates me to become silver and stay silver.
This works both ways, though: suffering the hassle of not being able to select seats until T-24 while without status does not leave an excellent impression of the airline and will dissuade some people from bothering to gain status as a result.

BA's seat selection policy was one of the things that attracted me to the airline in the first place but they have taken that away. I'm not even asking for the best seats: I just want to be able to secure something when I book and not to have to call friends, rush to internet cafes or mess about with expensive mobile data rates while on my last day abroad.

Regarding the comments aimed at passengers who mainly fly on cheap fares, all I would say is that they are essential to BA's business, and I note that the various business-class-only airlines have not exactly delivered stunning performance of late.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My question here is what is allowed for the traveling companions of OW Emeralds? I have a pending flight where I was able to reserve a seat in Row 1A on a 747, which is blocked off for Golds and OW Emeralds, and 1K on a 777, but was unable reserve a currently open seat in Row 1 on either segments for my wife, traveling on the same itinerary. I've never heard of privileges for OW elites where the same privilege wasn't accorded a traveling companion?

On a similarly frustrating note, I was unable to reserve a seat near me for my wife on BA in CE because her itinerary was on a separate record and they were unable to link the two, or override the system, which AA has been able to do for me previously.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by nologic
My question here is what is allowed for the traveling companions of OW Emeralds? I have a pending flight where I was able to reserve a seat in Row 1, which is blocked off for Golds and OW Emeralds, but was unable reserve a seat in Row 1 for my wife, traveling on the same itinerary. I've never heard of privileges for OW elites where the same privilege wasn't accorded a traveling companion?

On a similarly frustrating note, I was unable to reserve a seat near me for my wife on BA in CE because her itinerary was on a separate record and they were unable to link the two, or override the system, which AA has been able to do for me previously.
Sorry but the automated system only allows Golds to allocate blocked seats for themselves. You can see if the relevant seat is free at T-24 but thems the rules!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

In F, regardless of status , you can select all seats ( apart from 1 A/K ( reserved for Golds/Premiers) on the 747-400, not sure on the 777)

Regards

TBS
Same on the 777. All F seats are up for grabs for all PAX except the Gold blocked seats.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by nologic
My question here is what is allowed for the traveling companions of OW Emeralds? I have a pending flight where I was able to reserve a seat in Row 1A on a 747, which is blocked off for Golds and OW Emeralds, and 1K on a 777, but was unable reserve a currently open seat in Row 1 on either segments for my wife, traveling on the same itinerary. I've never heard of privileges for OW elites where the same privilege wasn't accorded a traveling companion?

1) This is well documented and discussed. Purely Emerald only in 1AK in advance.

2) Call BA and try again. They need to TCP your booking and put a seating request in. This is possible for Emeralds (only). Have a search for 'tcp link' or similar and many threads should turn up.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
We are flying on AA awards LHR-DEL. My wife and I are booked in Club Booking code U, while our daughter (13 yrs) is in WT booking code X.

After reading this thread and several calls to BA and AA, I now realize that I will have to Log-in at T-24 and get seat assignments for all of us.

What I will be trying to do is to book us in the last row in Club and get her close to the front in Coach.

How can I find out which of the 2 configurations will be flown on the 747-400 on Flt 257 LHR-DEL on 20 Nov 2008? Is it the one with WT+ on rows 11-16 or rows 28-31? I have tried booking a flight and all the usual tricks and can't seem to get this info anywhere.

Even the BA Call center wouldn't give out this information saying they don't have access to it - which I find very hard to believe.

Thanks in advance folks....
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by tullupump
How can I find out which of the 2 configurations will be flown on the 747-400 on Flt 257 LHR-DEL on 20 Nov 2008? Is it the one with WT+ on rows 11-16 or rows 28-31? I have tried booking a flight and all the usual tricks and can't seem to get this info anywhere.
Right now the seating map shows WT+ seats are rows 11-16.
The last row in Biz and the first in WT are available.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by tullupump
What I will be trying to do is to book us in the last row in Club and get her close to the front in Coach
This is the current seatmap from KVS. Looks like a 52J config, so WT+ is behind F and CW backs directly on to WT, which is what you want. Lots of blocked seats in CW (??) but WT is wide open - as to be expected.

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.2/Platinum - Apollo Seat Map: 20 Nov 2008/BA 257/LHR-DEL/744/C]
Code:
       A   B    |   D   E   F   G    |   J   K 
60     -   -        X   X                          
61     X   -        X   X                          
62     X   X        X   X                         E
63     X   X        X   X                         E
64     X   X        X   X                          

17     X   +        +   X   X   +        +   -     
18     X   -        +   X   X   -        -   X     
19 W   X   -        +   X   X   +        +   X     
20 W   X   +        +   X   X   +        +   X     

A   B   C    |   D   E   F   G    |   H   J   K 
28 W       X   X        +   X   X   +        X   X        E
29 W   X   +   -        +   +   +   +        +   +   X    E
30 W   +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
31 W   +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
32 W   +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
33 W   +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
34 W   +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
35     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
36     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
37     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
39                                           +   +   +     
40     X   +   +        +   X   X   +        +   +   +     
41     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
42     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        X   X   X     
43     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        X   X   X     
44     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
45     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
46     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
47     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
48     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
49     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
50     +   +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +   +     
51         +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +         
52         +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +         
53         +   +        +   +   +   +        +   +         

[+] Available  [P] Premium  [-] Assigned
[X] Blocked    [W] Wing     [E] Exit Row
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
dunk is this how it shows on KVS? There are no DE seats in the 60s upstairs, only ABJK
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
As someone who only ever flies down the back of the bus on el cheapo fares that never come within a sniff of a tier point due to work travel policy, I like the seat allocation system. It means that I have a fighting chance of getting one of the least worst seats in Y - I've never been able to not get a bulkhead/extra legroom seat on BA.

Compare with other airlines with a book seats upon making the ticket booking where it can be difficult to even get a window seat...
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
dunk is this how it shows on KVS? There are no DE seats in the 60s upstairs, only ABJK
Oops ... a little "accidental editing" on my part whilst joining up two displays, so that the downstairs CW & WT cabins appear next to each other

But the data is correct & the OP didn't want to sit upstairs. KVS is innocent
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
dunk - much appreciated. Hopefully I can grab the seats before anyone else does....

The race is on...
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Wow... this is a totally insane policy. For the first time, I just booked two business class seats. I absolutely can't believe that you can't pick seats in business class.

Instead, I'll have to figure out how to get online 24 hours in advance. That won't be a huge deal for the outbound, but for the inbound we'll be travelling inside europe and I have no idea if I'm going to be able to get to a computer somewhere to book a seat.

BA customer service offered to refund the miles/money for me if I wanted. They also supposedly put notes in the record authorizing full refund of miles/money within 24 hours if we get some stupid accross-the-plane seats or something.

Anyone know of any tricks around this? I can't believe they're not getting a lot of complaints....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.