Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA partner with AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Abroad, my Amex cards remain stagnant. The ForEx fees (and Amex exchange rate) are ridiculous.
The Lloyds Avios Amex has a 0% FX fee. I hadn't considered the Amex exchange rate though - is that noticeably different from the Mastercard one (which is itself very close to the mid-market rate)?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I Understood the commission rates AMEX charged the retailers used to be high ; up to 3.5% but now they have rationalised them to being similar to the mainstream and hence wider acceptance. In a way its good that BA choose a more niche partner rather than VISA etc . The same can't be said for TESCO!

(Has the time come to partner with M&S ; 2 quality brands...... don't go there)
Yes, that's my understanding too. Around 3 years ago I helped my parents renegotiate their credit card machine/merchant account at the pub they had before they retired. When offered Amex in addition to Visa/MC etc I initially wasn't keen, expecting a rate about double the others, but in fact the rate was just a tiny bit higher (I believe we were offered something like 1.75% for 'premium' visa/mc and 1.85% for Amex). It does seem that whilst Amex aren't cheap to merchants, they only command a modest premium now. The main pain with them turned out to be they paid separately to the other card flows, and with a greater time lag, so it turned out to be a nightmare to account for the poor sod who did the books (me!).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Nearly everywhere takes Amex these days, even Poundland!

I sometimes find that places that claim they don't take it (my butcher for one) either don't want to admit they do (higher fees?) or don't realise that they do until my iPhone processes the transaction with Amex.

The few large places I come across that don't take it are easily be replaced by another that sells exacly the same stuff at identical prices (e.g B&Q/Screwfix, which is the only one I can think of really).

Online I use PayPal linked to Amex if a retailer accepts Paypal but not Amex, athough I'm wary of losing section 75 protection on purchases over £100.
B&Q and Screwfix both have the same owners and I don't think either take AMEX.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The bmi Amex, god rest its soul, was the best thing that happened to my wallet. My fuel bill when I used to drive to customer site in west London 3 days a week paid for at least 2 F trips to Thailand.

The only 2 places that don't accept it around here are my local Indian takeaway and Aldi for which the Hilton visa comes in nicely.

Amex's customer service and fraud detection is head and shoulders above the competition as well. I would have a BA card but the fees are a steeper than the Amex gold card.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by beany_bot
I live in Scotland and find a LOT of places won't take it. Any local shops, coffee shops, independent restaurants all don't take it.

Sure big chains (McDonalds etc) do take it. But many local places do not.

Just seems a bit mad they would partner with a CC not widely (certainly compared to VISA and MC) accepted.
I live in Scotland (as per username) and almost all my spend is on Amex, and I'm a cashless person.

Any local shops is quite a stretch as Amex Shop Small demonstrates.

Off the top of my head these are the indies I frequent which take it in Glasgow.

Good Spirits
Two Fat Ladies
Mellis
Glasgow Museums
Stravagian/The Chip
Valhala's Goat

Then again most of my spend is Wetherspoons, McDonalds, National Rail and supermarkets (inc Whole Foods) which is all good.

Its rare for Visa/MC to offer promos.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Deltus
The Lloyds Avios Amex has a 0% FX fee. I hadn't considered the Amex exchange rate though - is that noticeably different from the Mastercard one (which is itself very close to the mid-market rate)?
Oh, how I wanted that card, given the amount of USD we spend. Sadly, as in so many cases, residents of the C.I. aren't eligible (or weren't the last time I checked). So much for being a Lloyds customer since 1965, and with a Gold account too!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
I live in a rural part of Scotland and rarely have any issues when attempting to pay with my BA Amex. There are a small number of places that don't accept it however I find these to be few and far between.

It was probably more of an issue several years ago when I first got the card but the situation has definitely improved a lot over the last few years.

I've also got a Tesco CC Mastercard which I'll use in any places that don't accept Amex. I've got my CC account set up to automatically convert them to Avios and credit my BAEC account.

Again with online shopping very few outlets don't accept Amex. For the ones that don't 99% of them accept PayPal and you can set up your PayPal account with your BA Amex so you pay through PayPal but essentially you're still able to use your Amex for the purchase.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Looking at my card spend, its roughly 5-20% mastercard, the rest is amex. That's with me always using the amex where possible.

Amex is great and I definitely use it where possible over the mastercard but I don't think its possible to solely rely on Amex like you could do with a Mastercard. Most shops in London are ok but a lot of online shops don't take it. I just spent a grand on bicycle parts online and they didn't take amex.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
For the ones that don't 99% of them accept PayPal and you can set up your PayPal account with your BA Amex so you pay through PayPal but essentially your still able to use your Amex for the purchase.
Do you have amex/card protection using PayPal? I always just use the mastercard in this case rather than amex via paypal.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Yes they should have done something smart like Lloyds, how Lloyds gives you 2 cards, an Amex and a Mastercard. The Mastercard is only used 'for emergencies ' as it earns 10 times or so less miles than the Amex!

I would say about 95% of the places I go/buy stuff from accept Amex.
I have a few places that actively moan when I pay by Amex as they pay higher commission despite them technically being able to accept it, but then I just pretend its the only card I have and they usually relent = )

Even FR accept Amex now = )
In fact, the only place that regularly I have to pay by Mastercard except gov.uk of course would be Lidl!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:15 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
WE WANT A LOCAL CREDIT CARD, FOR LOCAL PEOPLE.

(I live in deepest, darkest Wales, and have no issues putting the majority of my spend through an Amex)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Maybe it's time I tried again then. Seems most folk having no issues. Im due a balance transfer anyway
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rhivolution
WE WANT A LOCAL CREDIT CARD, FOR LOCAL PEOPLE.

(I live in deepest, darkest Wales, and have no issues putting the majority of my spend through an Amex)
Have you stopped using sheep and chickens as currency?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by strichener
B&Q and Screwfix both have the same owners and I don't think either take AMEX.
That's what I meant; those two, which are basically the same company, don't take Amex, but some other local DIY store selling the same stuff will, so I no longer use either of them.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF
That's what I meant; those two, which are basically the same company, don't take Amex, but some other local DIY store selling the same stuff will, so I no longer use either of them.
Often tool station offer a better price. Although if you use Click and Collect at Screwfix they do accept paypal and you also get avios through the eStore - the order is usually ready in minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.