Why do BA partner with AMEX?

Old May 3, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TPloser
BA used to team up with NATWEST before they moved to AMEX just over 10 years ago, so maybe they made them a better offer. Those were the days when a Gold exec card would also give you free annual travel insurance, so change is not always for the better
The NatWest and Diners deals for BAEC ended in 2001 as I recall so closer to 20 years ago then 10.

Amex just pay a bigger vig to BA because their merchant fees are higher. How this settles in a post interchange fee adjustment world remains to be seen.
Old May 3, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Whichever one of you is right, it's about time.

We will check Grande Marche in due course.
I use the coop towards the bottom of Beaumont hill and it definitely takes my BA Amex.

...just checked my statement in case I was talking out of my backside :-)
Old May 3, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by crazyegg
I use the coop towards the bottom of Beaumont hill and it definitely takes my BA Amex.

...just checked my statement in case I was talking out of my backside :-)
It seems like the Maufant trial has spread wider! Thanks for reporting back! ^
Old May 3, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The NatWest and Diners deals for BAEC ended in 2001 as I recall so closer to 20 years ago then 10.

Amex just pay a bigger vig to BA because their merchant fees are higher. How this settles in a post interchange fee adjustment world remains to be seen.
But wasn't it just last year that BA/Amex gave the 10 year bonus for people being with them for 10 years ?
Old May 6, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Tim Horton's opens in Glasgow next month ! ^

I wonder if they'll take AMEX.............
It'll probably be franchise dependent. They recently changed the rule in a Canada so it's up to the franchise. Pretty much all of the Alberta and Ontario Franchises along with all the corporate ones take it. Most of the ones I've been to in Saskatchewan don't take it. It's annoying though as instead of it saying card type not accepted it'll just say it declined, and most of the stores even have an Amex logo!

McDonalds and Dairy Queen in Canada is guilty for doing the same thing.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by TPloser
But wasn't it just last year that BA/Amex gave the 10 year bonus for people being with them for 10 years ?
15k points for 15 years I believe.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Quite a few of the smaller places in my part of Scotland don't take Amex.
I'd love to pay for my sports season tickets on it, but neither clubs take it, but my local pub has just had a card machine put in for the first time, and it's Amex friendly.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Abroad, my Amex cards remain stagnant. The ForEx fees (and Amex exchange rate) are ridiculous.
Worth clarifying that doesn't apply to the charge cards.

Fun article in the NYT about the competitive situation that has developed in the US, which, as noted in the article, is playing out well for the cardholders. A good time to be rich and interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/b...e-reserve.html

Originally Posted by The New York Times
In one Amex brainstorming session, according to an executive I spoke with, participants spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what FOMO meant before turning to Google.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by benjai
Do you have amex/card protection using PayPal? I always just use the mastercard in this case rather than amex via paypal.
You don't have section 75 CCA protection on PayPal transactions, no. Nor do you have it at all on certain Amex cards such as preferred rewards gold.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Of my last 10k spend, 9k has been Amex, with the remaining 1k on places that won't take Amex.

Happy with that ratio.

Almost all non Amex transaction are with local businesses who won't take it.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:38 pm

It's interesting UK has AMEX, and the US card program partners with Chase, offering Visa instead.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...ritish-airways

I live in the US but don't bother with AMEX. Chase has a compelling program to points through their Ultimate Rewards program (Sapphire Reserve+Freedom+Freedom Unlimited cards), which you can then transfer 1:1 to Avios and combine with the Chase BA Visa for the 2-4-1 voucher.

Originally Posted by Mixbury

Fun article in the NYT about the competitive situation that has developed in the US, which, as noted in the article, is playing out well for the cardholders. A good time to be rich and interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/b...e-reserve.html
Old May 7, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by Mixbury

Are you referring to the 2.99-don't-dare-call-it-3% currency surcharge on UK AmEx cards?

It most certainly does!

I too rarely use my AmEx cards outside the UK for this very reason.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Roger
Are you referring to the 2.99-don't-dare-call-it-3% currency surcharge on UK AmEx cards?

It most certainly does!

I too rarely use my AmEx cards outside the UK for this very reason.
I know! It's very annoying. Not sure why you can't use AMEX with Travelex's Supercard which would avoid that. AMEX were part of the trial. And as Supercards are MasterCard branded that avoids issues with AMEX acceptance.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The US AMEX charge cards don't have the FX surcharge; the UK ones do.

Even with the 3%, it might still be worth using the UK card if you're going to be spending a relatively long time abroad (e.g. work-related) and need to hit the bonus spend target.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I've had a BA Amex for a few years but recently got an Amex Gold so I can also transfer to SPG etc rather than it all going in my BAEC account.

I don't generally have an issue with acceptance, but if I do, and if it's an online purchase, then I use PayPal and pay with Amex that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.