Wiki Posts
Search

A Personal View

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
A Personal View

I rarely comment on these forums and when I do it is more to do with fleet and operational matters out of personal interest. However I do read the threads frequently and try to take an objective view.

However recently some threads and comments on here have disturbed me in terms of their almost vitriolic nature and personal insults. Some posters seem to hate everything about BA yet continue to post here regularly telling everyone how awful it all is. Surely they just need to use other carriers and maybe comment on their forums?

Some comments and interpretation of the facts equal the Daily Mail in accuracy and hyperbole. In some recent posts elements of racism are evident. Is this acceptable in a forum that should exist mainly to help members of the BAEC get the most out of their membership? Has the forum become too much about personal opinion rather than facts?

I realise most of the comments are from people who tend to fly mainly in the premium classes and have certain expectations. Are these really not being met so much of the time? Or are these expectations unrealistic in the 21st Century. Let us be honest if the real value of fares had been maintained in all travel classes air travel would still be a form of transport relatively few people could afford. Is this really what concerns some of these posters? Surely people are not being elitist!

When I fly BA I continue to see full aircraft in most classes, receive similar friendly treatment from crew and yes actually like the greater choice of what I want to eat or drink when flying ET in Europe. Most passengers seem to be ok about what they experience. The airline is profitable too. Am I missing something here?

As I said just a personal view.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
You are Alex Cruz and I claim my £5!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by stuart_f
lol ^
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
However recently some threads and comments on here have disturbed me in terms of their almost vitriolic nature and personal insults.
This is one thing that has bothered me enormously. We've moved from lighthearted joshing (e.g. my small digs towards jamier, chris1979 and KARFA) to full on in-your-face insults. There's also a second group that adds very little substance, few experiences, no welcome to new visitors, zero original content, but plenty of Pooter-ish, repetitive, glib snark. The Mods - who are volunteers - have the unpleasant and avoidable task of cleaning up the mess, a mess which can add no value in the first place. Complete waste of time for everybody.

Being charitable, it can sometimes be that someone puts a brief, "clever" interjection, maybe time is short, but later on they can perhaps put down a very rational and constructive set of criticism, and certainly worth reading. That I have absolutely no problem with, and indeed should be encouraged.

Thank you for putting your views down.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I think the OP makes a very fair point.

It is easy on the internet to be disgruntled about something, but to describe it as a disaster, or to be annoyed about an inconvenience and call it a rip off.

However, I have no idea how to stop it in a free world.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Spot on that man! Although I have to say I do enjoy the many pathetic posts from those claiming BA has so distressed them that they are NEVER flying BA again (well once they have exhausted all the freebies they have....) Some even repeat this threat multiple times like the poor man recently who claimed BA ruined his life when he split a glass of red wine on his white trousers!!

As a old git in retirement I love the cheapness of air travel and how many places I can get to from my local airport, Heathrow. My "loyalty" to BA is nothing of the sort, it is self interest. Two long haul return flights per annum and I get a Silver card so I can always use the lounge and always chose our seats. When I turned 60 I decided long haul travel had to be in Second Class and once we reached 70 decided only First would do. I would not have imagined in my 30s when we (with kids) started long haul hols that First would be cheap enough to use for hols as it was then more than my annual salary.

In short I am a happy BA customer and shareholder. For all the gripes on here they seem a very successful business and have to conclude that the management know more bout running an airline than few disgruntle Gold card holders on this forum.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:19 am

Maybe some posters have a vested interest in bad mouthing BA and extolling the virtues of competitors. It's the Internet after all and people aren't always who they may appear...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Meh
This is a public message board and people are entitled to voice their opinion as such. For me this forum is relatively moderate and well behaved compared to others I frequent.
Of course any type of racism and personal insult should not be tolerated, but honestly I have not seen much of this.

People are p!ssed off with BA constant cost cutting, as other airlines continually improve (and in many cases are cheaper than BA) and they are voicing their opinion.

Each to their own opinion and I will respect others on here, without agreeing with them all the time.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don't ever contribute to the threads that descend into what the OP describes. I do read them and whichever side I am on I don't comment as it adds nothing apart from reply counts!

I came to Flyertalk thanks to a Google search query I had on a why an aircraft type had changed... it was answered and I stuck around! I use the forum to gain loads of awesome information (and cheap fares to boot!) and feel I contribute helpful responses when I can.

I like the banter that exists between some of the more regular posters and really detest the personal attacks that people keep descending into - not just newbies but some long term high count posters.

If you've got nothing helpful to say... then say nothing!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I rarely comment on these forums and when I do it is more to do with fleet and operational matters out of personal interest. However I do read the threads frequently and try to take an objective view.

However recently some threads and comments on here have disturbed me in terms of their almost vitriolic nature and personal insults. Some posters seem to hate everything about BA yet continue to post here regularly telling everyone how awful it all is. Surely they just need to use other carriers and maybe comment on their forums?

Some comments and interpretation of the facts equal the Daily Mail in accuracy and hyperbole. In some recent posts elements of racism are evident. Is this acceptable in a forum that should exist mainly to help members of the BAEC get the most out of their membership? Has the forum become too much about personal opinion rather than facts?

I realise most of the comments are from people who tend to fly mainly in the premium classes and have certain expectations. Are these really not being met so much of the time? Or are these expectations unrealistic in the 21st Century. Let us be honest if the real value of fares had been maintained in all travel classes air travel would still be a form of transport relatively few people could afford. Is this really what concerns some of these posters? Surely people are not being elitist!

When I fly BA I continue to see full aircraft in most classes, receive similar friendly treatment from crew and yes actually like the greater choice of what I want to eat or drink when flying ET in Europe. Most passengers seem to be ok about what they experience. The airline is profitable too. Am I missing something here?

As I said just a personal view.

Post of the Day (Month)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Too well written...maybe his PA...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:42 am

I think there will always be those who are pro-BA about everything and those who moan about everything. That is the way things go.

I think that both sides have got more agressive. It is not only the anti-BA types with forceful posts. Some of the pro-BA side can be 'strong in their questioning' too.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is one thing that has bothered me enormously. We've moved from lighthearted joshing (e.g. my small digs towards jamier, chris1979 and KARFA) to full on in-your-face insults.
^ There should be no place for such things here, and I wish that those posters who are old and wise enough to know better would refrain from such things. It just turns people away from posting, which is very sad.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:58 am

I've been on these forums for a few years now and I'd say the forum is overall fairly balanced. There's some pretty rabid pro-BA people (I've been advised we're not meant to speculate as to why they are so rabidly pro-BA) and also certainly a significant number of very critical posters. And a number of people who may criticize BA on one day and may defend them the next day.

There has definitely been an uptick in anti-BA posts in recent months. But that's to be expected given the decisions taken by BA management in recent months/years. If you reduce your service, there's going to be negative feedback. I am sure the hides of these wily old executives are thick enough to take a bit of negativity.

I consider posts like the OP of this thread to be a rather stealthy form of pro-BA 'propaganda' though. When you use phrases such as 'I actually like the greater choice of what I want to eat or drink when flying ET' you aren't really making an argument, you're using BA's 'authorized' marketing speak almost word for word.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
I'll be flying BA first class this summer, my first "first," so I welcome the commentary. Helps to temper my high expectations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.