Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Personal View

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have appreciated all the posts on this thread. For the most part they have been stimulating and well argued. Thanks for that.

I would like to emphasise that all comments about the service given by BA are valuable whether they be negative or positive. Only that way can improvement be influenced and good practice maintained. I just believe that the tone should be reasonable.

Thanks again for the debate.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Bullying is wrong but speaking ones mind should be encouraged, I never hold back and would encourage others to do the same.
This is a simplistic view.

Free speech is great until it allows some (those most powerful) to overcome others.

Intelligent considered opinions are what are essential. 'Not holding back' doesn't fall in this category.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 31, 2017 at 2:23 pm Reason: Remove comment that doesn't contribute to the thread topic
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
This is a simplistic view.

Free speech is great until it allows some (those most powerful) to overcome others.

Intelligent considered opinions are what are essential. 'Not holding back' doesn't fall in this category.
I'd be wary of censoring comments to avoid hurt feelings. I've certainly seen comments that are mean-spirited and add no value to a conversation, but I've also seen oversensitive posters who seem to take offense to everything. Ultimately, if you allow anonymous forum comments to affect your mental health, the internet may not be the place for you.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by rocketship87
I'd be wary of censoring comments to avoid hurt feelings. I've certainly seen comments that are mean-spirited and add no value to a conversation, but I've also seen oversensitive posters who seem to take offense to everything. Ultimately, if you allow anonymous forum comments to affect your mental health, the internet may not be the place for you.
I agree. At least on the open forum people at least have to exercise some civility. However I don't think people should be subjected to abusive PMs to get around this. As I posted earlier I have not been attacked through PM although others seem to have been.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
As I posted earlier I have not been attacked through PM although others seem to have been.
I've only had two or three in all the years I've been here. Always from someone who opened a new account to send me them anonymously. They never bothered me but I can well imagine some people could find them upsetting.

PUCCI GALORE used to regularly get in touch with me by PM to tell me all the galley gossip. However since I rejected her offer of a free week in her caravan at Bognor she's ignored me.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I sometimes wonder whether the more vociferous comments come from those who don't actually pay for their travel. By accident or design, many have status and access to premium cabins through the generosity or otherwise of their employer. If huge BA corporate customers started kicking off then perhaps the airline would listen, but they largely don't; unless it represented an escalation in costs.
Much of my travel is self-paid and in economy (but not on BA) and I accept that things go wrong, that there is a limit to what airlines can do. I will expect a decent level of service when I pay a lot more (about one long haul J-class trip/month) and if it goes wrong I usually deal with this directly with the airline and usually get the response I seek. I have about 100 flights booked between now and September so my expectations of airline service are realistic and the lower prices enable me to work in a far more flexible and mobile lifestyle that I could never have dreamed of back in the 1980's. For me it is about what air travel has enabled me to do than the flights per se.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:03 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stuart_f
You are Alex Cruz and I claim my £5!
Originally Posted by gordon0808
lol ^
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Too well written...maybe his PA...
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I've been on these forums for a few years now and I'd say the forum is overall fairly balanced. There's some pretty rabid pro-BA people (I've been advised we're not meant to speculate as to why they are so rabidly pro-BA) and also certainly a significant number of very critical posters. And a number of people who may criticize BA on one day and may defend them the next day.

There has definitely been an uptick in anti-BA posts in recent months. But that's to be expected given the decisions taken by BA management in recent months/years. If you reduce your service, there's going to be negative feedback. I am sure the hides of these wily old executives are thick enough to take a bit of negativity.

I consider posts like the OP of this thread to be a rather stealthy form of pro-BA 'propaganda' though. When you use phrases such as 'I actually like the greater choice of what I want to eat or drink when flying ET' you aren't really making an argument, you're using BA's 'authorized' marketing speak almost word for word.
Just on the first page there are the usual snide comments the OP talks about. Any post that talks positively about BA has to have the thread derailed by naysayers. Time that some people grew up and self edited themselves. Trying to undermine an alternative view to a negative one does not make that opinion a shill one.

These posters are using supposed humour to accuse the OP of being a shill, and this is happening too often on these pages.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:05 pm

I would expect you to acknowledge that it's not a like-for-like replacement. Complimentary food has been replaced by food for purchase. If you only present the 'positive' side of a situation (i.e. the 'greater choice'), it's fair to call that spin.

You're not really addressing the concerns of people who are angered by that part of the issue by choosing to ignore it. That's what made BA's response to the criticism from the public so bad. It's a much abused corporate communications cliche to always focus on the positive to distract from the negative, but there's limits to that. When I see it on a forum as part of someone's 'personal view' it makes me cringe.
You are directly accusing the OP of being a shill. Why? Do you have any actual evidence? I highly doubt it.

That's somewhat of a misrepresentation. I never said that everyone who praises BA is a stooge or paid-for-PR-lackey, just that there are certainly posters here where the question is in the back of the observer's mind.

There has been a flurry of negative posts about BA, sure,
Read your reply to the OP again objectively. Your words do indeed accuse the OP of representing BA.

There hasn't been a flurry of negative posts about BA. Nearly EVERY topic is taken over by it. Too often someone having a positive experience is shouted down.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I'd say that was a joke rather than an insult. There was nothing offensive in it. Arguably it was a little predictable, but you can be critical or attempt humour, without being insulting. I have never seen a post that I would objectively describe as offensive- but maybe that's a sad reflection of my upbringing

As for the OP, I agree that sometimes there is a lack of objectivity about some posts, but it would make for a blander forum if every post was about a schedule change or aircraft type.
I wouldn't see it as a joke but a one line dismissal of a fellow FTer's opinion which is the biggest insult of all. It's passive aggressive dressed as a joke intended to block the view. It's not and isn't intended to be humour IMHO. Certainly not unique to this forum, but that doesn't change the motive of the post.

It's like an equation.

Viewpoint differing to mine that is broadly pro status quo = must be management view (but I'm joking really, honest) It's a put-down pure and simple.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:29 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I would argue nearly all the threads that get shut down are where the OP has a complaint about BA services or policies and a select group attempt to derail that thread by picking at the OP from various angles, trying to discredit or downplay the OP's comments.

My viewpoint is the err on the side of consumer advocacy since that is what we are - consumers of airline and travel products. It's called FlyerTalk, not SupplierTalk. Suppliers have plenty of $$$ and means to get their messages out.

I have no problem that there are vociferous brand advocates. That said, here on the BA forum they seem to be less constrained than in other FT forums and regularly appear to derail OPs who have issues with BA.
What an incisive and wisdom filled post. I read both sides but cringe when I see personal attacks including writing styles or even choices of emphasizing particulr words or phrases etc.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I wouldn't see it as a joke but a one line dismissal of a fellow FTer's opinion which is the biggest insult of all. It's passive aggressive dressed as a joke intended to block the view. It's not and isn't intended to be humour IMHO. Certainly not unique to this forum, but that doesn't change the motive of the post.

It's like an equation.

Viewpoint differing to mine that is broadly pro status quo = must be management view (but I'm joking really, honest) It's a put-down pure and simple.
You have been on here since 2008 and I suppose like most probably lurked for quite awhile before then. If so you must remember the old cliquey BA forum where every newcomer was basically dismissed
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
You have been on here since 2008 and I suppose like most probably lurked for quite awhile before then. If so you must remember the old cliquey BA forum where every newcomer was basically dismissed
I do. And that aspect has improved. Not least thanks to the introduction of the Ambassadors and the hard work they put in among the thankless job of being a mod (I'm not sure I would do it!). But the nastiness of recent history is worse than the cliqueiness.

This part of the forum used to be the most useful and the most amusing. Now it spills over into nastiness. Ok, this leads to bigger discussions, which is good for Internet Brands ads (I've only just turned off ....... and I still find the ads too intrusive - I only used it because the ads were making the forum impossible to use on safari had to keep refreshing the page - am using it on chrome now).

Too often the response is, if you don't like it, don't post. A bit like "If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen". My response is "But I want to be in the kitchen and I don't mind it being warm but there's no need to jab me with a red hot poker".

Banter disguised as insults is still insults. I'm tired of the excuse that its just a joke or 'banter'.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I don't normally get involved in threads like this, but do you not think you've overstepped the mark there? Only the poster can know whether he intended to be humorous and he has already confirmed that he did (post 83).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by navylad
Whilst I appreciate the view points of those who feel that people are affected by what other people say to them either in a thread or by direct message should simple grow a thicker skin, this really reflect poorly on them and I am sorry, I really don't buy the excuse of this being an anonymous internet forum as a reason that people should be allowed to hurt the feelings of others; if they need to hide by an anonymity of an internet forum to cyber bully, I have little respect for their poor character, which is likely not the best in the real world either. The other incredible important factor with anonymity is that you often don't know what else is going on in that persons life, a quick snide comment may not seam that bad taken at face value, but this could have a detrimental effect on the individual.

I did take some time away from this forum, but thankfully I did return, I am stronger for it and often laugh to myself in my head when idiots try and make further personal attacks that someone is so insecure in themselves that they feel the need to do so. I am glad I did return because, whilst this forum does contain a few rotten apple, there are far more genuinely lovely people who share they experiences and advice to enrich the lives of others and I feel privileged to listen to genuine views of others irrespective of whether I disagree with them.

I have a greater awareness now, then when I joined this forum, of the way in which posts project and trust that should anyone ever feel that I cross their own personal line, they would tell me and I would be able to respect that. I hope others will be able to do the same.
I'm sad that you have characterized those who were trying to give you some helpful, realistic advice as "cyber bullies" and "rotten apples", and that you have referred to them as having "poor character".

I am one of the first to speak out against snark, and against those who "pile in" on posters, but I am not seeing that happen here.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I would argue nearly all the threads that get shut down are where the OP has a complaint about BA services or policies and a select group attempt to derail that thread by picking at the OP from various angles, trying to discredit or downplay the OP's comments.

My viewpoint is the err on the side of consumer advocacy since that is what we are - consumers of airline and travel products. It's called FlyerTalk, not SupplierTalk. Suppliers have plenty of $$$ and means to get their messages out.

I have no problem that there are vociferous brand advocates. That said, here on the BA forum they seem to be less constrained than in other FT forums and regularly appear to derail OPs who have issues with BA.
I agree with this completely and have also commented on this in the past. I actually perceive the forums I read on FT, in general, to be moderated pro-business (purely an observation, not at all a complaint), but I've always felt the BA forum in particular has had a very unwelcoming, judgmental, and anti-consumer/complaint feel - which is one of the reasons I participate far less on this forum than others.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that FT should slant pro-consumer simply because most of us are consumers, and the BA forum is not the first and certainly will not be the last to turn more adversarial/negative when consumers feel that their benefits are being reduced. But when there is a larger/more vociferous pro-business faction, it should be no surprise that this forum also becomes so much more polarized/divisive/fractious than others when a lot of consumers feel things are going badly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.