Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Route Announcement: LGW-OAK Oakland, California, starting March 28, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route Announcement: LGW-OAK Oakland, California, starting March 28, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
June isn't that far off.
It's a few months away. I'm not sure this is intended as principally a leisure route.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
I have extended family all over the bay area, they are very happy with multiple options away from SFO.

I suspect Calchas (never sure how to pronounce that!) is right, there will be plenty of business fliers for who OAK is more convenient.

I'll be on it in October, and probably also June, will report back if no-one has already.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dnajockey
Calchas (never sure how to pronounce that!)
Like the man from Greek mythology, Cowk'uss
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
It's a few months away. I'm not sure this is intended as principally a leisure route.
Using that as shorthand, as opposed to premium business routes like SFO-LHR. There's obviously going to be a lot of overlap between LHR-SFO and LGW-OAK markets.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Silver Elite
Slight bump to see if anyone has travelled on the route yet?

4 of us in Y on 20th April, seat allocations looking very sparse for t-7d based on my previous experiences.

Looks like we'll have access to the new Escape lounge (2 silvers travelling)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:34 am

Not yet sorry, next trip turned out SJC more convenient so not on the OAK route till October. Please report back!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:21 am

I managed to make use of an Amex 241 in J at short notice on this route last week. LGW-OAK-LGW. It was my first time at OAK and my first time at LGW for at least a couple of years (since before BA moved terminals).

A few observations from my trip:

I was quite impressed with LGW departure experience. I parked in short stay and found it very convenient. For a long weekend away this was quite affordable. I like the translation artwork along the travelators between the car parks and the terminal.

Priority bag drop was quick. Priority security slightly less so with the automatic gates out of use and a single agent scanning BPs and then a bit of queue for the security check. Could be better but could definitely be a lot worse.

I was very impressed with the Galleries lounge. Large, light and airy with plenty of seating. Being 'new' presumably helps a lot with the feel of this lounge.

The flight was very lightly loaded in J, we were in 1E/F on the 777-200. I'm not sure how busy it was further back since I never went further than the first J cabin. We had both D/G and B/J aisle seats free either side of us, so we had the dividers down for a lot of the flight.

Food was good; service was good on my side but the CSD on the other side kept missing my partner, he apologised for this towards the end of the flight ("sorry I keep forgetting you there").

Of course these are old planes with the old IFE. I couldn't get my footrest into the "low" position, despite by best efforts squeezing the handle and pushing and wiggling it in all different directions. No big deal, but these planes do feel like they are on the way out.

Arrival in OAK was incredibly quick. No other international flights arriving it would seem; the immigration hall was completely empty and we were amongst the first through literally a minute or two after exiting the plane. Bags were delivered almost immediately and I think we were the first two out of the secure area, very impressive.

The airport operates a bus service to all rental car companies at the nearby rental car center, unlike the typical US airport setup where you need to wait for the relevant rental car company's bus to show up.

On the return, we had an earlier Southwest flight into OAK, this was my most nerve racking point of the trip and I had deliberately booked an earlier than necessary Southwest flight in case of IRROPS. As it happened our Southwest flight was slightly delayed but only about 30 minutes which was well within my safety margin. I didn't even bother asking about through-checking of luggage as I assumed this was definitely not possible, so we exited at OAK, collected luggage and wheeled it over to the BA bag drop.

BA staff at OAK weren't very impressive. Very unfriendly bag drop agent barely made eye contact with us let alone any niceties. Once the bag was re-checked we headed back to security and followed the sign to "Priority Passengers" which was lumped with families etc. Told by TSA quite abruptly at the end of this line that it was in-fact "families only" so we sheepishly returned to the normal security line (which wasn't too long to be fair). This could be handled better though - why stamp "priority" on the BP and sign "priority" security if there is no such thing.

Lounge at OAK was pleasantly surprising, albeit small. We were amongst the first in so had plenty of seating choices, but that wouldn't be the case for later arriving pax. The lounge felt 'new' also, which I assume it is. Not BA operated of course, but access seemed to be BA passengers only. It was right next to the BA gate which was nice. Full bar, some light snacks (better than an AAdmirals Club FWIW), coffee machine etc. Surprisingly no English Breakfast or even "black tea" as the Americans call it, only some fruity spiced tea which is all well and good, but seems a bit of a drop-off for a lounge primarily used by BA pax

Warning - very few restaurants after security in the area where the BA flight goes from. We ended up at Chilli's where the service was very poor and the food was average. There was very little in the way of alternatives.

Boarding was a bit slow due to some delay, some announcements were made in the boarding area but these were hard to hear. Eventually we boarded to the same seats (1E/F) and had the aisle seats free again each side of the divider (2D/G) although both aisles on the far side where taken (2B/J).

Interestingly the boarding was Gold/OWE first, and then Club World.

Service was better this time, very attentive crew and CSD. Food good again.

On arrival into LGW there was a bit of queue for the auto immigration machines - why do they have almost all of them out of action? However the queue did move quickly. Bags were already being delivered when we got to the belt and we were on our way very quickly, this was a nice surprise compared to what I'm used to at LHR.

I think it's a big shame there's no arrivals lounge in LGW. For me this is very important after an overnight flight. However I get this is a "leisure" airport and most people are probably heading straight home - which we were. However if I was getting a train (for example) somewhere further afield, I would absolutely hate not being able to have a shower. I guess I'd have to book the Yotel in this scenario.

All things considered, I was very impressed with LGW although lack of arrivals lounge will still make me err towards LHR after a long overnight flight. Flight was great, but the lightly loaded aircraft contributed to this. OAK arrivals were very quick, but the departures experience could be improved.

Definitely a good use of my 2-4-1 voucher though
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Wow, thank you for the detailed trip report! I am departing from OAK in a couple of days so of course read that part with great interest. Yes, our little OAK airport is most notable for on time arrivals and departures compared to fog-plagued SFO. However the BA contract lounge there is quite small as you say, and the airport itself has minimal amenities.

My flight looks like a light load for Tuesday... will be interesting to see how many seats in CW are filled. Thank you again.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA gold
Have to agree with your points after completing a OAK-LGW last month.

Check-in staff leaves a lot to be desired. My two luggage ended up with some sort of complication that involved two check-in staff, but they wouldn't communicate to me what the problem was or what they were doing.

Turned out they tagged the second bag to my father, when in fact both bags were mine and they made that assumption that it was his bag without checking with me. This was after I OLCI with two bags for myself.

Security is a bit haphazard as BAflyer90 noticed but they are a pleasant enough lot, the check-in staff might have learned a trick or two from them.

The third party lounge is ok, and there are some free booze with the more premium offerings being chargeable. The lounge manager used to work at a lounge in the UK for another airline for a number of years. Food options are a bit limited but seem to cover some of the basics... it won't feed a hungry traveller or those who just want to sleep onboard.

There is an option to buy food from the lounge menu but choice was limited and not inspiring.

The BA 772s, internally are well on used and nothing feels modern, it does contrast sharply with the 773s and A380s I'm more familiar with on BA.

Originally Posted by BAflyer90
I managed to make use of an Amex 241 in J at short notice on this route last week. LGW-OAK-LGW. It was my first time at OAK and my first time at LGW for at least a couple of years (since before BA moved terminals).

A few observations from my trip:
<snip>

BA staff at OAK weren't very impressive. Very unfriendly bag drop agent barely made eye contact with us let alone any niceties. Once the bag was re-checked we headed back to security and followed the sign to "Priority Passengers" which was lumped with families etc. Told by TSA quite abruptly at the end of this line that it was in-fact "families only" so we sheepishly returned to the normal security line (which wasn't too long to be fair). This could be handled better though - why stamp "priority" on the BP and sign "priority" security if there is no such thing.

Lounge at OAK was pleasantly surprising, albeit small. We were amongst the first in so had plenty of seating choices, but that wouldn't be the case for later arriving pax. The lounge felt 'new' also, which I assume it is. Not BA operated of course, but access seemed to be BA passengers only. It was right next to the BA gate which was nice. Full bar, some light snacks (better than an AAdmirals Club FWIW), coffee machine etc. Surprisingly no English Breakfast or even "black tea" as the Americans call it, only some fruity spiced tea which is all well and good, but seems a bit of a drop-off for a lounge primarily used by BA pax
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
There was a fairly basic media review from the sfgate that has some useful details of the route, fwiw: http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/201...usiness-class/
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BAflyer90
Warning - very few restaurants after security in the area where the BA flight goes from. We ended up at Chilli's where the service was very poor and the food was average. There was very little in the way of alternatives.
If you're in the lounge and want more food than what is laid out, they do have a salad and a burger available for order http://mag-escape-lounges-umbraco-me...ood-menu-2.pdf

Before Chili's, I would recommend Silver Dragon or Vino Volo towards the end of Terminal 1. You can also walk to Terminal Two for every other option in the airport https://sf.eater.com/2015/11/19/9760...d-where-to-eat
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Any insider info on how this route is performing? Is it sustainable? Had to use a GUF2 (5 days before six month extra expiry) for next Apr and limited availability - however grabbed OAK which is handy - I'm not a Gatters Hater

I know I'll get rerouted if it gets canned, however don't want to be out of pocked for internal flights etc booked going forwards ...

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I've done this routing several times in J and if you had the choice, I'd always recommend SFO.

- 772 is tatty, old, not very good IFE, and the cabin situation (air quality, etc.) is nothing like the 380 to SFO
- OAK, like SFO, is easy to get in and out of but the staff are not properly trained
- The food to/fro OAK seems a lot worse than SFO.. did normal meals first time and special meal (avml) second time from LGW and it was significantly worse than LHR-- almost inedible
- crew I was generally happy with both, so equal
- I think GF at t5 > GF at lgw, simply because of the number of toilets and other amenities
- Lounge at OAK could be better than SFO In terms of potential but last time I was though, they were out of all food and had only one person working the entire lounge, including check-in/bar.. which meant getting a drink (no self-pour) took at least 5-7 minutes of waiting

In summary, SFO>>>>OAK, esp. 380>>>>772
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:34 pm

Quick note of thanks to the several posters above for feedback above, it seems this route ( which I am sampling for the first time in October) may become a new regular one for me for family reasons.

Based on reward availability though I'm not sure J is selling so well
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the notes evacboy I'm fine with the LGW experience, and also the aircraft surprisingly - my own IFE and Bose headset and I'm good to go.

If for some reason the route was discontinued into next summer schedule I'd hope there would be plenty of notice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.