Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
BA also have an A380 stuck at Hong Kong at the moment with a >24 hour delay (I think this is G-XLEE). Is BA suffering significant reliability issues with the A380 fleet? For a small fleet there seems to be a surprising number of issues.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
i only flew the A380 BA once on a LHR-LAX-LHR and it was late for the departure due to a problem with the heating system in the galley and it was late on the return due to late inbound!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
BA also have an A380 stuck at Hong Kong at the moment with a >24 hour delay (I think this is G-XLEE). Is BA suffering significant reliability issues with the A380 fleet? For a small fleet there seems to be a surprising number of issues.
Was it XLEC that had the non-functioning water system a couple of weeks ago?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:19 am

It was CBC news (our Canadian national news broadcaster) that reported the crew left
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uver-1.3820082

And picture of the crew with luggage entering Emergency
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ways-1.3821059

And video:
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-with-ill-crew
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
What a strange story. But the main thing is it landed safely and no one was injured or unwell
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by stewaran
although as you say from pilot at the nose, to crew at the back all checked out
The pilot? What makes you think there's just one pilot on an A380?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
No, it's discretionary.
Was recently on a domestic SEA-ANC flight (US) and diverted to Vancouver. Since almost no one had passports with them and those with Green Cards didn't have the new Visa that's required for Canada we were kept in a specific holding area for a few hours until a new aircraft came from SEA. I suspect that in this case there was some discretion involved given the circumstances and given that nobody was actually trying to enter Canada with a DUI or other felony.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:31 am

And possibly the reason that only flight crew were sent to hospital. One passenger reporting that it would cost $800 to visit hospital. That their health insurance had expired and British Airways would not (could not?) pay.

http://globalnews.ca/video/3025099/i...t-in-vancouver

http://globalnews.ca/video/3026014/m...anding-at-yvr/

Last edited by CanuckFan; Oct 26, 2016 at 10:34 am Reason: Additional Link
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFan
And possibly the reason that only flight crew were sent to hospital. One passenger reporting that it would cost $800 to visit hospital. That their health insurance had expired and British Airways would not (could not?) pay.

http://globalnews.ca/video/3025099/i...t-in-vancouver

http://globalnews.ca/video/3026014/m...anding-at-yvr/
The first video has the story that passengers received factual information from the flightdeck that made them afraid. The second video has the story that no information was received from the flightdeck, and that made them afraid, using the same interviews with passengers but edited differently. I'm really not sure what to make of it, apart from media manipulation.

The whole flight crew were sent to hospital as a precaution by BA. Maybe overkill, but I think relatively sensible.

At least according to the interview, the passenger without health insurance was refused €800 in cash so she could go to hospital - I guess she was tired and upset at the diversion and subsequent information vacuum - as opposed to ill.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Everyone is entitled to feel afraid especially when the unusual happens on a plane. The Captain summonsed the senior cabin crew member to the flight deck and the plane changed direction. After a few minutes service stopped and everything was taken away. The Captain came on and said due to a minor issue with the plane some cabin crew had been taken ill and we were diverting to Calgary eta 45 mins. There was certainly no panic or outward concern upstairs. After a while the Captain came back on and said we were going to Vancouver as they were better able to handle the logistics around an A380.

It then took around 60-70 mins more to get to Vancouver, all very ordinary with a smooth landing. There was the full emergency set up with fire trucks etc half way down the taxiway as we came in. They asked everyone to stay seated while the paramedics saw the affected crew. We disembarked after maybe 20 minutes down the front stairs and through the forward door. Usual crew at the door plus the commander and a ton of paramedics.

Immigration took less than a minute and bags came out quickly, Vancouver airport were superb. As I said earlier I avoided a MASSIVE queue for two desks arranging rooms. We were handed a letter on rebooking and left the airport.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK passengers aren't allowed to be on a commercial aircraft unless there are some minimum number of FAs in case an emergency evacuation would be needed for instance. I would guess that this is a FAA rule, although I suspect there's a similar European regulation. (Maybe related or maybe OT, I've observed KLM FAs instruct passengers sitting on board to UNfasten all seat belts when the aircraft is being fueled at the gate, in case we would have needed to leave the aircraft quickly.)
We could not board a LUS A321 in CLT when they were short the fourth flight attendant. She was on her way, but had to physically board the plane before any customers could board. When I heard that all the crew left this BA flight before any passengers, I figured that had to be a misstatement. Some crew might have left, but whatever minimum are needed to staff the exits would have needed to remain.

As far as YVR customs in situations like this, it just depends. YVR customs is available most of the day and night, and I have arrived on delayed flights well after midnight with no problem. Once the last inbound is processed, then I think it closes down. US preclearance closes mid evening, so if you are in the US preclearance terminal (E gates at YVR), then you can have problems when you flight is delayed. I have certainly entered and left the US and Canada twice on the same day when a flight fell apart on me and I had to go to the counter to get help.

If your US bound flight is delayed past a certain time, you may have to use the D gates which are international but not preclearance. Most airlines don't operate redeyes into the US from YVR, but I have occasionally seen a UA to ORD that used the D gates. (Note that a few of the 60s and 70s gates can be reconfigured between D/E in the terminal by opening or closing certain glass doors, so it is a pretty flexible operation. Operations into the US have a large outbound bank early AM and then another set late afternoon/early evening, with less the rest of the day.)

I'm sure this situation was no fun for anyone, but a lot of what you read in the initial stories, even from people who were on the plane, is just not that accurate.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by sdix
Was recently on a domestic SEA-ANC flight (US) and diverted to Vancouver. Since almost no one had passports with them and those with Green Cards didn't have the new Visa that's required for Canada we were kept in a specific holding area for a few hours until a new aircraft came from SEA. I suspect that in this case there was some discretion involved given the circumstances and given that nobody was actually trying to enter Canada with a DUI or other felony.
Most people here probably had no trouble entering Canada. If a particular person has one of the no-nos in their history, then they would be going to that holding area.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Swampz64
Everyone is entitled to feel afraid especially when the unusual happens on a plane. The Captain summonsed the senior cabin crew member to the flight deck and the plane changed direction. After a few minutes service stopped and everything was taken away. The Captain came on and said due to a minor issue with the plane some cabin crew had been taken ill and we were diverting to Calgary eta 45 mins. There was certainly no panic or outward concern upstairs. After a while the Captain came back on and said we were going to Vancouver as they were better able to handle the logistics around an A380.
Thank you for your follow-up posts trying to set the facts straight.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
This stinks of some kind of crew industrial action of the worst kind.
- Basically ONLY crew affected (all crew!!)
- Reports are they all grabbed their bags and walked off the flight
- None of them were admitted to hospital - all checked and sent packing
- Saw images of a large group of crew members strolling into the hospital with their bags like they were going into a terminal
- Passengers were left on the plane watching all the crew being taken away on a bus!
- Passengers were basically told nothing and abandoned by the crew.

This stinks of something really bad and I hope they get to the bottom of it. Not just the dereliction of duty but what if something had happened on the plane when the crew abandoned it? 400+ passengers left to fend for themselves! BA should be absolutely ashamed, heads should roll!
Most likely Brexit victims seeking asylum in Canada, happens all the time...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Please clarify as your post is confusing.

Since when did CX fly from YVR to SFO at 6PM?

Was this in the 1990s?

Currently, JFK is the only US destination that it flies from YVR (as a continuation of HKG-YVR).

For CX flights between YVR and JFK, all passengers clear US customs/immigration on arrival at JFK and are not pre-clared in YVR.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Had an unpleasant experience with YVR and IRROPs that might answer your question.

We were on CX flight from YVR to SFO that was supposed to leave about 6 pm. 6 came and went and we sat there. About 90 minutes later it was announced that 2 FA's had not shown up and we were waiting for replacements. Another 2 hours later they still had not shown up and pax started demanding to get off the plane. Eventually a uniformed office of some sort came on board and announced that as the Canadian immigration staff had left for the night, under no circumstances could we be allowed back into the airport.

Around 11 pm the 2 replacement FA's arrived, and then there was another issue as those 2 were fresh out of training (literally this was going to be their first working flight) and there weren't enough senior staff on board. Eventually some CX official in a distant office authorized them to work sans sufficient senior staff.

So 6 hours late, the pilot fires up the engines and something went wrong. I have no idea what; we were just told that that plane was not flying that night. The airport dude comes back on the plane and says the pax are still not allowed back into Canada as technically having cleared US customs we weren't in Canada anymore.

Finally at 1:30 am they rounded up enough police to form a barrier of sorts and the pax were herded directly onto another plane with cops making sure nobody made a break for it. It was a very bizarre situation considering that the pax on the plane had been in Vancouver prior to boarding the flight, or at least allowed in the airport long enough to connect.

So if a plane makes an emergency landing or goes mechanical or has whatever crisis you can dream up, it seems the staff at YVR are quite likely to leave you sitting on the plane. One article linked above seemed to say that the pax sat for quite a while before being allowed off the plane. (maybe YVR was calling in immigration staff?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.