Search

My 1st First experience and some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
My 1st First experience and some thoughts

Hi all,

So it’s taken me a week to get over the jet-lag but I thought I’d share some thoughts on my latest trip ex-cph to the USA which involved my 1st First and my second experience of Upperdeck 747 (thanks FT for being a font of invaluable knowledge!). Bear in mind for both my gf and I, this is only our 3rd J holiday ever.

So the outbound booked into (i) but I used avios to upgrade both myself and the lady. The route was BA069 LHR to PHL at 17:40 on the 27th August (Saturday), following a CPH to LHR that morning. I chose this route as there was no availability to our intended destination (ORD), so we threw in a stopover.

Before the weekend, I had called and pre-booked a spa treatment via YouFirst. They only had one slot left, so I gave it to the gf as she’d appreciate it more. She chose a back massage. We left the luggage at our flat in west London and following the CPH to LHR leg popped home and picked it all up. This gave me the opportunity to go back to the airport and check in at the First class check in desks. Everyone was very welcoming and they took a pic for us in front of the sign (this garnered me many many facebook likes, something upon which, I judge my success and popularity )

Following this and a brief trip through security, we headed for the Concorde room  via ‘the door’. I have to say having read a lot of reviews, I absolutely loved the CCR. Our last ex-eu was with Qatar (more on that later) and whilst the Doha lounge is nice, it seems cold and there are far too many employees wandering around desperate to help you get a drink, have something to eat or blow your nose. I thought the service and welcome in the CCR was impeccable, from the professional but warm lady at the desk, who offered to show me round, to the bar tender who kept my Kir Royales flowing. Once the gf returned from the Spa (which she said was O K), we sat down and had CCR dining. The food was good, not amazing but was presented well and tasted fine (BA Burger).

The boarding process was a bit of a drama as the screen went from gate open to Final call and thus we were on the last bus to board (all boarding was via a bus – so some of the first class buzz was lost at this point). On boarding the CSD introduced himself politely, welcomed us by name and showed us to our seats. He was very courteous and friendly and this theme continued throughout the flight. The plane was a 777 and the seats and cabin were in good, clean condition.

The general experience during the flight was great, the IFE didn’t work until just after take-off (so around 1 hour missed), which was a little annoying but the CSD rebooted it until it played ball and had already said if it was broken, he would reimburse us. Our seats were 2A and 3A (as I like windows) and we opted for the buddy dining, which was a lovely experience. The rest of the flight I would say, felt not a lot different to CW. The food and drink was ‘slightly’ better (I couldn’t get my 1st choice of dessert but the CSD said again he would reimburse me – I forgot to follow this up so that’s on me!).

On the return we went from JFK to LHR in CW on BA176 (19:30 departure). Whilst this service isn’t a sleeper service it’s nice that you can still enjoy the pre-flight dining at JFK, which we did. Having flown 747 UD last summer I was looking forward to the experience again and this time had reserved 62A/B. The flight attendants were, as last year, excellent and very attentive with the alcohol! The IFE was refreshed which I was pleased about and the flight comfortable. Food was good but not as enjoyable as the First meal I’d had.

So….impressions. I enjoyed my F experience a lot. I would have to say, I wouldn’t PAY the premium for it over CW. I think with avios upgrade, it is worth it if you’re going to stay awake and enjoy the experience but I won’t be burning my avios on it every time! I think the upperdeck 747 experience is just as enjoyable and feels almost as ‘special’. I think my gf (who doesn’t get as excited about all this as me), summed it all up fairly well, “Yeah I liked first class, the best bit was the lounge and the privacy you feel but I don’t think I’d spend avios on it, I preferred Qatar on the Dreamliner”. I would have to say I’m inclined to agree here…our experience on Qatar’s 787 overall was better than BA F ( a point I know others have already mentioned). However, I think next time I will try to get BA’s new F on the 789 as I think this might represent the tipping point.

Last edited by SuitedandBooted; Sep 16, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Glad you had a good trip. Always nice when the barman keeps the drinks flowing without having to be asked!

BA F is the best business class product out there!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi SuitedandBooted and thanks for taking the time to post your findings, which were quite positive - which is good for you! I think you need to edit to post; it appears to have a large duplication.

And I think you'll enjoy the upgraded F on the 789 when you do try it
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Lovely trip report. You always remember your first First.

Originally Posted by stu1985
Glad you had a good trip. Always nice when the barman keeps the drinks flowing without having to be asked!

BA F is the best business class product out there!

This comment is probably sacrilege on this forum but I struggle to tell the difference between BA F and CX J. The seats even look the same. The BA F seat is probably slightly bigger, possibly in a way that you can't feel.

The service on CX is so consistent. I know the CCR is nice, but so are the CX J lounges in Hong Kong.

J class is so good these days it makes flying F harder to justify (except on Emirates and Etihad).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Great summary of the experience. I had my first first experience this summer as well, much thanks to the folks on this forum. Very similar experience and conclusion that I would never pay for the experience (except in promotions if I already had a need for a flight). I did enjoy the CCR at Heathrow and the food was adequate for an airport. The tandem dining option was a nice touch.

With so many great deals on J and other airlines offering luxuries/necessities in J that BA doesn't in F, it is very difficult to convince my wallet to open for BA F tickets. Sleeping is equally or more comfortable in some J products.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
To be fair "most" people (well probably not all FTers) would be more than happy with J it is still a nice way to travel and more than good enough for the great majority!

CW 747 UD in 64k gets my vote! ^
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
My biggest gripe with BA F is the lack of tarmac service (which LH/AF both do very well) and true premium transfers..

If you're connecting over LHR, you have to schlep to the connection zone and then back through the "premium" security which is a zoo. Its hardly a "first class" experience.

If you're flying LH, (and esp if you're at a remote stand) they pick you up in a nice car, whisk you through formalities and you end up right in the lounge. Personally, I found it most unpleasant transiting LHR, though, once on the plane I found it to be a very pleasant experience.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:33 am

Thank you for the report! Have my own 1st First experience coming up, and getting quite exited!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:14 pm

Nice report and I think you've nailed the F experience on the head.

For what its worth, the Doha lounge you went to sounds like the J lounge? The CCR should be compared to the F lounge, although to be honest none are as good as the old Premium Terminal was.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by stu1985

'BA F is the best business class product out there!"
I may be in the minority but I think BA has a solid F class. My experiences have found gracious and professional service, a comfortable and private seat, and an all around elegant experience. I'd opt for it over any US carrier's F/biz class for a transatlantic flight. I'd also choose it over most any carrier's biz class but those exceptional biz classes (eg-Singapore).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by phol
although to be honest none are as good as the old Premium Terminal was.
Each to their own, I'm one of the people who really disliked the old premium terminal!!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
...This gave me the opportunity to go back to the airport and check in at the First class check in desks. Everyone was very welcoming and they took a pic for us in front of the sign (this garnered me many many facebook likes, something upon which, I judge my success and popularity )
Very funny.

M
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Each to their own, I'm one of the people who really disliked the old premium terminal!!
I think it rather depended the time of day you went through it. For most of us it was during the chaotic and jam-packed waves of transfers. Good riddance: today I embrace the teddy bear
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
Hi all, snip .....Following this and a brief trip through security, we headed for the Concorde room  via ‘the door’. I have to say having read a lot of reviews, I absolutely loved the CCR. Our last ex-eu was with Qatar (more on that later) and whilst the Doha lounge is nice, it seems cold and there are far too many employees wandering around desperate to help you get a drink, have something to eat or blow your nose.
Nice report thanks . I had to laugh, reminded me when I visited the bathroom in the F lounge at Doh, the bathroom attendant would open the cubicle door for me, work the taps and soap dispenser when washing my hands and then asked if I would like to clean my teeth, I obliged and he wanted to put the toothpaste on the brush for me
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
I may be in the minority but I think BA has a solid F class. My experiences have found gracious and professional service, a comfortable and private seat, and an all around elegant experience. I'd opt for it over any US carrier's F/biz class for a transatlantic flight. I'd also choose it over most any carrier's biz class but those exceptional biz classes (eg-Singapore).
Gracious and professional service? Yes! Comfortable seat? Yes! Better than US carriers? Yes! But as for an all around elegant experience, no, no, no. Taking a bus with all the rest of the pax to transit to your flight is not an First Class experience. Nor is most of the rest. Try AF out for a true elegant First Class experience. With full floor to ceiling privacy at your seat!

I agree with the new BA F motto: Best business class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.