Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My 1st First experience and some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It is nice being on the transit and seeing other people, checking their luggage and tags etc. out.

At least the walkway is pretty straight should you be a bit tipsy. Still too many escalators / lifts to use.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I also don't believe BA's level of availability and AF's product can be combined in any viable way.
I fully agree with that. The AF Salon Premiere (AF's equivalent of the CCR) typically has 1-20 people in total at any given time. It is absolutely fantastic but quite frankly, that very exclusivity is a clear prerequisite to AF going into the levels of service detail and attention that they do. The money they invest in the product is also conditional to generally high yield in the cabin so whilst, as mentioned earlier, AF can actually be competitive when you are in luck, there is no way that they could justify their current level of investment in the product if they needed to accept the income compromises BA faces to fill an F cabin of 14 seats to DEN or PHX.

I personally think that BA will reduce their F capacity over time (and seem to remember there was an announcement about removing F from several 772s?) but I really do not think that they will do it to the same extent as AF which I believe will ultimately keep F on a dozen routes or so (e.g JFK, LAX, IAD, IAH, SIN, HKG, HND and a few high yield African and LatAm stops).
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by skba1
This kind of behaviour truly does annoy me... Good service is about not being seen and doing things invisibly while being at hand if there are any questions or requests.

I like BA F, but it is not worth the premium that is asked for making cash bookings. In fact lately LH group have had very competitive prices from Scandinavia and UK (and a few more places) to USA.
Is this also a cultural thing do we think? I ask because I tend to find this is the BA way - but is it a 'British' trait of being reserved. IE 'I'm a bit miffed' means 'I'm furious, sort it out' and 'No problem' means 'yes this is a great inconvenience'!

I don't know whether other cultures expect more 'in your face' service - IE do some people like having a toilet attendant? Personally, I find it intrusive. I know that's a generalisation but BA definitely has a different service style - and the service you receive at top 5* properties in London or New York is very different to in Asia or the Middle East, for instance.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Is this also a cultural thing do we think? I ask because I tend to find this is the BA way - but is it a 'British' trait of being reserved. IE 'I'm a bit miffed' means 'I'm furious, sort it out' and 'No problem' means 'yes this is a great inconvenience'!

I don't know whether other cultures expect more 'in your face' service - IE do some people like having a toilet attendant? Personally, I find it intrusive. I know that's a generalisation but BA definitely has a different service style - and the service you receive at top 5* properties in London or New York is very different to in Asia or the Middle East, for instance.
I do think that there are definitely cultural differences (and from that point of view, BA is by no means the most subdued of services, it is somewhere in between I guess), as well as personal preferences (most people on FT seem to love being addressed by name on flights, I personally dislike it and also prefer them not to use identifying elements such as title etc when passengers are addressed, but I remember another thread when someone was outraged when they were not addressed by their correct title). Everyone to their own I guess....
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Why would you make that rather surreal interpretation about their motivation? It seems to me that many people flying F expect:

- a more comfortable seat in a separate cabin;
- a more comfortable check in using separate check in counters or areas;
- a more comfortable airport security experience using separate fast track channels;
- a more comfortable airport wait using separate lounges;
- a more comfortable boarding experience using separate fast track lanes;
- often a more comfortable immigration experience using separate fast track immigration lanes;
Please add "a more comfortable transit and arrival experience" to that list. That is where AF and LH really shine and where BA (in part due to LHR) falls apart.

And as for all these comments about walking and not wanting to ride the train or take the inter-terminal bus, remember that we are not all fit here. I've just had some minor surgery and would greatly prefer to be driven from the lounge to the airplane and avoiding all the hiking required at LHR, FRA or CDG. When fit I do walk many miles, but I'm not feeling up to that now. Nor does anyone who is having ambulatory issues. Most of these people aren't at the wheelchair stage, but could certainly do with a shorter walk and less standing in security or immigration lines. First class pax should never be subject to that.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by seanp7
Well, apples to oranges. You've compared a 10-hr longhaul flight, where 70% of your compliments were about the CCR, to a dog-leg flight on EK. Try SFO-FRA or FRA-SFO/LAX on LH F as a comparison, and then report back. It's streets ahead. BA's transfer experience in LHR, as mentioned multiple times above, is poor - and the service on board is hit and miss. Depending on the crew, J+ can be totally apt for BA (unfortunately).
Forgive me but I compared an 11 hour flight from London to SF on a BA A380 to a 15 hour flight from SF to Dubai and then a 6 hour flight from Dubai to Rome both in F on Emirates A380s. I have flown long haul F on LH and loved it. Loved the Emirates flights too-who can quibble about showers on heated floors and double order of caviar w/2 different Dom vintages.
Here's where I guess I am not effectively communicating, I loved the BA long haul flight too. I didn't mind a 15 minute walk/train ride to waltz onto the plane. I liked it...I had just spent 4 hours in the Concorde room and needed to stretch my legs. Everyone on the train to the gate were all going to get on the same plane and everyone was well behaved. This "transfer experience" did not include a ride in a porsche, but it was fine.
The flight itself was great. We were greeted by name by the burser and hand delivered to our seats. We then met 2 additional flight crew members, one bearing a cold glass of champagne. I asked the burser if I might see the A380 cockpit and he and the flight crew obliged. The flight was lovely. The champagne was great. The JWBlue is wonderful. The service was flawless. I agree the food cannot compare w/LH or Emirates or other carriers, but it was fine. We arrived on time. Our luggage was amongst the first bags off the airplane likely due to the F tag on them. I understand that some folks will not be happy unless they experience the very best of the best. Happily, my wife and I are not in that club. Thanks FrancisA for understanding the gist of what I was trying to convey. Best to all,
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
Forgive me but I compared an 11 hour flight from London to SF on a BA A380 to a 15 hour flight from SF to Dubai and then a 6 hour flight from Dubai to Rome both in F on Emirates A380s. I have flown long haul F on LH and loved it. Loved the Emirates flights too-who can quibble about showers on heated floors and double order of caviar w/2 different Dom vintages.
Here's where I guess I am not effectively communicating, I loved the BA long haul flight too. I didn't mind a 15 minute walk/train ride to waltz onto the plane. I liked it...I had just spent 4 hours in the Concorde room and needed to stretch my legs. Everyone on the train to the gate were all going to get on the same plane and everyone was well behaved. This "transfer experience" did not include a ride in a porsche, but it was fine.
The flight itself was great. We were greeted by name by the burser and hand delivered to our seats. We then met 2 additional flight crew members, one bearing a cold glass of champagne. I asked the burser if I might see the A380 cockpit and he and the flight crew obliged. The flight was lovely. The champagne was great. The JWBlue is wonderful. The service was flawless. I agree the food cannot compare w/LH or Emirates or other carriers, but it was fine. We arrived on time. Our luggage was amongst the first bags off the airplane likely due to the F tag on them. I understand that some folks will not be happy unless they experience the very best of the best. Happily, my wife and I are not in that club. Thanks FrancisA for understanding the gist of what I was trying to convey. Best to all,
Well said! 👍
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just want to add that I also had my first BA F two days ago on the same route (albeit on BA67) and it was a great experience (anyone interested can read my live TR). Well done, BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.