FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My 1st First experience and some thoughts
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:31 am
SuitedandBooted

Programs: BA Silver
My 1st First experience and some thoughts

Hi all,

So it’s taken me a week to get over the jet-lag but I thought I’d share some thoughts on my latest trip ex-cph to the USA which involved my 1st First and my second experience of Upperdeck 747 (thanks FT for being a font of invaluable knowledge!). Bear in mind for both my gf and I, this is only our 3rd J holiday ever.

So the outbound booked into (i) but I used avios to upgrade both myself and the lady. The route was BA069 LHR to PHL at 17:40 on the 27th August (Saturday), following a CPH to LHR that morning. I chose this route as there was no availability to our intended destination (ORD), so we threw in a stopover.

Before the weekend, I had called and pre-booked a spa treatment via YouFirst. They only had one slot left, so I gave it to the gf as she’d appreciate it more. She chose a back massage. We left the luggage at our flat in west London and following the CPH to LHR leg popped home and picked it all up. This gave me the opportunity to go back to the airport and check in at the First class check in desks. Everyone was very welcoming and they took a pic for us in front of the sign (this garnered me many many facebook likes, something upon which, I judge my success and popularity )

Following this and a brief trip through security, we headed for the Concorde room  via ‘the door’. I have to say having read a lot of reviews, I absolutely loved the CCR. Our last ex-eu was with Qatar (more on that later) and whilst the Doha lounge is nice, it seems cold and there are far too many employees wandering around desperate to help you get a drink, have something to eat or blow your nose. I thought the service and welcome in the CCR was impeccable, from the professional but warm lady at the desk, who offered to show me round, to the bar tender who kept my Kir Royales flowing. Once the gf returned from the Spa (which she said was O K), we sat down and had CCR dining. The food was good, not amazing but was presented well and tasted fine (BA Burger).

The boarding process was a bit of a drama as the screen went from gate open to Final call and thus we were on the last bus to board (all boarding was via a bus – so some of the first class buzz was lost at this point). On boarding the CSD introduced himself politely, welcomed us by name and showed us to our seats. He was very courteous and friendly and this theme continued throughout the flight. The plane was a 777 and the seats and cabin were in good, clean condition.

The general experience during the flight was great, the IFE didn’t work until just after take-off (so around 1 hour missed), which was a little annoying but the CSD rebooted it until it played ball and had already said if it was broken, he would reimburse us. Our seats were 2A and 3A (as I like windows) and we opted for the buddy dining, which was a lovely experience. The rest of the flight I would say, felt not a lot different to CW. The food and drink was ‘slightly’ better (I couldn’t get my 1st choice of dessert but the CSD said again he would reimburse me – I forgot to follow this up so that’s on me!).

On the return we went from JFK to LHR in CW on BA176 (19:30 departure). Whilst this service isn’t a sleeper service it’s nice that you can still enjoy the pre-flight dining at JFK, which we did. Having flown 747 UD last summer I was looking forward to the experience again and this time had reserved 62A/B. The flight attendants were, as last year, excellent and very attentive with the alcohol! The IFE was refreshed which I was pleased about and the flight comfortable. Food was good but not as enjoyable as the First meal I’d had.

So….impressions. I enjoyed my F experience a lot. I would have to say, I wouldn’t PAY the premium for it over CW. I think with avios upgrade, it is worth it if you’re going to stay awake and enjoy the experience but I won’t be burning my avios on it every time! I think the upperdeck 747 experience is just as enjoyable and feels almost as ‘special’. I think my gf (who doesn’t get as excited about all this as me), summed it all up fairly well, “Yeah I liked first class, the best bit was the lounge and the privacy you feel but I don’t think I’d spend avios on it, I preferred Qatar on the Dreamliner”. I would have to say I’m inclined to agree here…our experience on Qatar’s 787 overall was better than BA F ( a point I know others have already mentioned). However, I think next time I will try to get BA’s new F on the 789 as I think this might represent the tipping point.

Last edited by SuitedandBooted; Sep 16, 2016 at 9:44 am