Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA silver, LH nobody
Very good stuff. I'd agree that it's not always so bad for SCH - I've also noticed the empty middle seat more often, and having had a few trips recently with the other half on a separate booking it seems normal that the block follows me around the cabin at OLCI at least - haven't looked in MMB or SSCI.

More interestingly, perhaps - I have still been seeing positive (at least for SCH...) changes in availability at the T-72 point, with seats nearer the front, including row 1 on domestics, opening up. Maybe not to the same degree as before, but it still appears to be worth having a look.

I guess the 48-hour seat selection window for the new plus fares is making the range of seats available at OLCI smaller still.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:25 pm

Please direct me to the right place if this has already been covered. How is this working for longhaul seating? We've got two separate CW bookings next April on a 787-9. My son is bronze and on the first booking with my husband, so can allocate 7 days before. We don't have to be next to each other, but closeish proximity would be good. It would be good to know which areas are generally open for non status passengers to book.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
Please direct me to the right place if this has already been covered. How is this working for longhaul seating? We've got two separate CW bookings next April on a 787-9. My son is bronze and on the first booking with my husband, so can allocate 7 days before. We don't have to be next to each other, but closeish proximity would be good. It would be good to know which areas are generally open for non status passengers to book.
That far out, which is beyond the clutches of FLY, Theoretical Seating won't have an impact and not much has changed there. Closer in, then yes absolutely watch out for how this works. The above material essentially applies for T-72 hours and inwards (and arguably, a bit of positioning footwork just beforehand) for status passengers.

So you have two bookings, one which is Bronze led, and another, which I infer to be no-status at all. The longstanding advice is keep an eye on how the aircraft is filling up, if you are not too fussy then let it get all the way to OLCI and change things around if necessary. Some seats aren't very popular on certain aircraft, e.g, lower deck middle seats on 747s, but they may be ideal for you, so if it's not looking too full you can probably hang on and fudge it to get roughly what you want. If, on the other hand, the aircraft starts filling up with single passengers scattered all over the cabin, at some point if staying together is important you may have to bite the bullet and pay for seats. If you think you're going to be doing this anyway then you may as well do this sooner, when the options are good, rather than later when it is too late to get the group in one place. As with all of this, the money you spend on seat reservations may get you a nice meal in your destination, which may be a better use of it, particularly if you're all dozing off on the aircraft.

Having said that, with 2 small cabins in the 787-9 in CW, and the seats perhaps more alike than on other aircraft, I don't think it's such an issue as it would be on 747s or 380s.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That far out, which is beyond the clutches of FLY, Theoretical Seating won't have an impact and not much has changed there. Closer in, then yes absolutely watch out for how this works. The above material essentially applies for T-72 hours and inwards (and arguably, a bit of positioning footwork just beforehand) for status passengers.

So you have two bookings, one which is Bronze led, and another, which I infer to be no-status at all. The longstanding advice is keep an eye on how the aircraft is filling up, if you are not too fussy then let it get all the way to OLCI and change things around if necessary. Some seats aren't very popular on certain aircraft, e.g, lower deck middle seats on 747s, but they may be ideal for you, so if it's not looking too full you can probably hang on and fudge it to get roughly what you want. If, on the other hand, the aircraft starts filling up with single passengers scattered all over the cabin, at some point if staying together is important you may have to bite the bullet and pay for seats. If you think you're going to be doing this anyway then you may as well do this sooner, when the options are good, rather than later when it is too late to get the group in one place. As with all of this, the money you spend on seat reservations may get you a nice meal in your destination, which may be a better use of it, particularly if you're all dozing off on the aircraft.

Having said that, with 2 small cabins in the 787-9 in CW, and the seats perhaps more alike than on other aircraft, I don't think it's such an issue as it would be on 747s or 380s.
Thanks, we'll probably see how it pans out. Both bookings include an under 12, so I'll probably select 2 seats in the most available cabin at T-7 and we should get a pair for the other booking a couple of days later. I'll see what rearranging is possible/needed at OLCI.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
The other advantage of theoretical seating as a Gold is that the same day changes allowed by plus fares don't end up in 23E as before. I've done this twice recently and remained in the front 5 rows with a seat block on the new flight, including changes close to T-1.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Thanks c-w-s; much obliged.

The explanation makes the understanding of FLY logic more comprehendible;

and HIDDY knows his place...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I came across this post which remained unanswered on the CW seating thread. Can anyone help Jeff with this?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27076800-post1190.html
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by HilFly
I came across this post which remained unanswered on the CW seating thread. Can anyone help Jeff with this?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27076800-post1190.html
He's flying in December so I'm not sure how Theoretical Seating would be relevant to his scenario.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
All is forgiven, BA

Like others, I've joined in the cacophony of criticism regarding the changes to the service standard for long-haul economy flyers recently. But, under these new seating policies, my experience down the back with BA has hit new heights in the 10 flights to Asia and back that I’ve taken in Y in the last three months. It’s hard to underestimate quite how much of an improvement in my flight experience this small change has led to. Whilst I would previously have got a spare exit row seat next to me in about 1 flight in 20, this ratio has now increased to 9 flights in 10.

Even on weekends where the check in staff have advised that there were only a handful of economy seats free, seat 80B on the A380 to HKG or SIN has remained empty – and presumably blocked given that, in my view, it’s in the best row of economy seats on the BA fleet. It even seems that these new arrangements have made their way down to the crew; last week an interloper sat down next to me and was quickly moved on by a member of the cabin crew with the embarrassing remark that the seat was “not available because this passenger is an important customer of the airline”.

Quite frankly, I’d happily sacrifice 10 tuck boxes, 20 packets of pretzels, and 30 pieces of cheddar to get the consistently unlimited elbow room I’ve enjoyed over the last few weeks. That's not something you can pick up in Boots on the way to the gate.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Quite frankly, I’d happily sacrifice 10 tuck boxes, 20 packets of pretzels, and 30 pieces of cheddar to get the consistently unlimited elbow room I’ve enjoyed over the last few weeks. That's not something you can pick up in Boots on the way to the gate.
Agreed. As someone who flies down the back quite a bit, it's making me reconsider my decision not to chase gold next year. It could be a substantial benefit. I'll see how it pans out for me - I haven't been travelling much over the summer so don't have many data points.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Like others, I've joined in the cacophony of criticism regarding the changes to the service standard for long-haul economy flyers recently. But, under these new seating policies, my experience down the back with BA has hit new heights in the 10 flights to Asia and back that I’ve taken in Y in the last three months. It’s hard to underestimate quite how much of an improvement in my flight experience this small change has led to. Whilst I would previously have got a spare exit row seat next to me in about 1 flight in 20, this ratio has now increased to 9 flights in 10.

Even on weekends where the check in staff have advised that there were only a handful of economy seats free, seat 80B on the A380 to HKG or SIN has remained empty – and presumably blocked given that, in my view, it’s in the best row of economy seats on the BA fleet. It even seems that these new arrangements have made their way down to the crew; last week an interloper sat down next to me and was quickly moved on by a member of the cabin crew with the embarrassing remark that the seat was “not available because this passenger is an important customer of the airline”.

Well said, sir. ^

Been my experience on shorter hauls so far too.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
p.s. what an awful name Theoretical Seating is!
Maybe one day there will be a thread about Realistic Seating too.

(Those who don't already recognise it may want to Google the joke - in many variants - about "theoretically" and "realistically".)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by paul4040
He's flying in December so I'm not sure how Theoretical Seating would be relevant to his scenario.
Deleted. c-w-s has replied to the poster's question.

Last edited by HilFly; Aug 31, 2016 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Before I post what I'm finding with my upcoming flights, does this thread need more data points? If so I'll happily chip in with what I'm seeing, if not I won't bore you all
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HilFly
Why would an almost empty UD be blocked for SCH?
I've replied in that thread now, I suspect the Sapphire card number didn't make it over to the BA PNR, given it was an AA booking. Should be easily resolved. But yes, this thread is essentially about the final 72 hours, the existing allocation of seats on the UD to fee payers, corporates, Sapphire and above (before that time) isn't affected, as far as I can tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.