Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen baggage claim denied - BA Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by origin
Well I was a little surprised, that in LHR at the very least, a bag was left unattended for any amount of time. Especially as it has been suggested that the bag was lost for a number of days. I appreciate that the OP hasn't left the bag behind.

Now we can say the bag was in staff quarters. Which means that LHR will know who was near the bag.

SO my suggestion was to have another chat with the Police. There are cameras in LHR everywhere and people all times of the day and night.

If the bag was in a toilet and the cleaner didn't raise the issues then there is another problem.
Worth speaking to the police to see what is on CCTV but the rest really is just conjecture.

You don't know whether the bag was in "staff quarters" or in a toilet. In fact you don't even know whether the bag was in LHR. It could quite easily have been taken out, into a passing car and away, and returned/dumped some days later. If I had just stolen a bag I probably wouldn't hang around LHR creating some form of trail, I would be out of there asap.

I just don't see the point in all the speculation.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
One way to find out the answer to your question OP

http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:34 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mario
From BA's own Conditions of Carriage:

BA says that only the person with the baggage tag can claim the bag - they failed to comply with their own CoC as they let someone else take the bag.

BA is responsible, simples.
I note you chose not to quote clause 8k1. This has some very relevant wording in it: "... you must collect your checked baggage as soon as we have made it available at your place of destination or stopover.". In the case of the OP he can claim that he was held up by Border Control. However, BA could equally argue that is not their problem and he failed to collect it upon it being made available.

Anyway, I agree with the others here who suggest that this should really be dealt with by the Police (who must have access to CCTV evidence) and personal insurance (whether personal possessions or travel insurance). I don't see either BA or HAL accepting responsibility. However, I wouldn't place much faith in the UK Police spending any time investigating this one. Their job seems to end these days when they issue a crime reference number.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dylanks
So, any recommendations on an actually good annual travel insurance policy from the US? I've not seen much in my limited searches.
I use this one:

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com

Click on annual plan, put in your date of birth and state and click go. I use it mainly for the medical cover but I notice it does also include $1,000 cover for baggage loss. The main proviso as with all these things is that the policy holder took reasonable steps to keep the baggage safe and prevent the loss. In this case I would expect the policy to pay out.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mario
Lddn1, I am not a law expert, but if this was the case shouldn't BA have worded it differently? Along the lines of

"We may request you to produce your baggage identification tag to allow you to collect your baggage"... or something like that.
Indeed, but there are arguably quite a few clauses in the CoC which they should have worded differently.

Out of curiosity I did a quick google search for the standard IATA CoC and found this wording:

9.9.2 Only the bearer of the baggage check and identification tag, delivered to the passenger at the time the baggage was checked, is entitled to delivery of baggage. Failure to exhibit the baggage identification tag shall not prevent delivery provided the baggage check is produced and the baggage is identified by other means.
9.9.3 If a person claiming the baggage is unable to produce the baggage check and identify the baggage by means of a baggage (identification) tag, Carrier will deliver the baggage to such person only on condition that he or she establishes to Carrier's satisfaction his or her right thereto, and if required by Carrier, such person shall furnish adequate security to indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense which may be incurred by Carrier as a result of such delivery.
...which does imply (more so than BA’s clause) that it is really for the protection of the carrier than the passenger.

Anyway, we probably shouldn’t get into a legal debate about it here. That’s a task for the unfortunate OP and BA...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This would seem to be something that travel insurance may cover
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Contact your travel insurance with the police report.
Originally Posted by simons1
Claim on your travel insurance.
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
Have you contacted your travel insurance provider to claim the value of the stolen goods?
Originally Posted by bricksoft
I think stolen bags are covered by insurance.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
As others have said travel insurance - if you have it - is your best recourse here.
Originally Posted by simons1
This is why you pay your insurance premium. It covers these risks.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
As for the recourse, I think the best solution would be the travel insurance.
Originally Posted by bricksoft
The best answer for the OP is to contact the insurance
Originally Posted by gms
Anyway, I agree with the others here who suggest that this should really be dealt with by... personal insurance

Can someone please clarify what travel insurance product they're recommending for such a situation? My not particularly cheap American Express travel insurance has
  • a single item limit of £500
  • a clause which says I am not covered when I have left my possessions "unsecured or outside your reach" - such as on a baggage carousel whilst I am in border control
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Can someone please clarify what travel insurance product they're recommending for such a situation? My not particularly cheap American Express travel insurance has
  • a clause which says I am not covered when I have left my possessions "unsecured or outside your reach" - such as on a baggage carousel whilst I am in border control
I would hope Amex would take a flexible approach to the second point and pay out in OP's case, but yes it would be limited to £500. That’s the risk one takes with anything which isn't fully insured - same would apply if OP were mugged in the street.

The fact is that sometimes crap happens and you end up taking the hit. Happened to me last year when I checked my laptop into the hold as Virgin said my carry-on was too heavy. The hard drive got fatally damaged en route, with cost of data recovery c.£1000. Wasn't covered either by VS or my insurers so it’s unfortunately something I have to bear myself.

If I were OP here I'd pursue the avenues open to me, but prepare myself for the fact that I might not get much out of it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:15 am

My John Lewis travel policy costing £160 a year covers situations like this. It does indeed have a single item limit of £500, then again I don't carry single items more expensive than this or where it is essential then I know to obtain extended cover.

There is no such clause as the one you refer to, it only says that in the event of theft or damage a PIR and/or police report is required.

In fact I would say the clause you detail renders the whole thing meaningless, the only way you could counter that point would be to have all your belongings with you at all time. If that is really the Amex position then I would change to a decent insurer.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dylanks
I notice everyone is quick to mention travel insurance, but in my experience, travel insurance is a much more reasonable thing to purchase in the UK than for someone from the US.

Most policies I've looked at in the US will mostly cover medical coverage, and some travel interruption. And many of the policies offered by BA are limited to UK or Europe residents. For example, if you buy an ex-EU ticket as an American, the fine print of the policy says you are not covered. And services like Amex that include travel insurance with their UK cards do not include the same level of coverage with their US issued cards.

So, any recommendations on an actually good annual travel insurance policy from the US? I've not seen much in my limited searches.
In the USA, many comprehensive homeowner policies provide some coverage to possessions when traveling. Of course there would be a deductible and only expensive policies would reimburse on a replacement cost basis rather than current used market value.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Well mine is via a UK bank but I can't check the details as I don't currently have access to them. I would imagine it offers similar exclusions to the one you mention with Amex. I'm assuming I'd be covered for such a situation but I can't currently say for sure...

I did have someone take my battered Samsonite at Boston a few years ago. The BA rep (who was excellent and took complete control of the situation) checked the receipt and confirmed it had definitely come off the aircraft. Within 40-50 mins they'd identified a likely person (as there was other luggage not collected) and they tracked her down, called her cell phone and asked her to return to the airport.

I was encouraged to go to my hotel and, true to their word, they delivered the bag to the hotel reception within 3-4 hours. I was of course happy to have the bag back but it made me realise how easily this can happen (by accident as well as by intent) and I've never packed anything of value into checked luggage since.

But who knows, maybe I'm living in an under-insured fools paradise?...I'll check later this week.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:25 am

The insurance clause for many policies mean that you did all you could to protect your bags. For example leaving a case in the boot of a hire car and it gets broken into is ''neglect''. Or in a bar leaving your bag at the table while you order a pint is also considered ''neglect''.

In the instance of this situation the insurance company ( a decent one ) would most likely rule that you took all reasonable efforts to secure your property from being stolen as it was placed in the hands of the airline and you were delayed at passport control which was not your own fault. Also the area is a secure area i.e.: you cant just walk in off the street. I do not believe BA to have any blame in this instance. Insurance is the only way to go. They will need the Police report to process the claim.

I would like to see an example of this and what the insurance ruled. I have a Platinum cover annual multi trip and unlike many I read it cover to cover to make sure I am fully aware of what it does and does not cover. For anyone taking out cover it is essential to not just buy based on price or AVIOS bonus but to really study it. Not until something happens do you realise what horror stories can occur if you do not read it. A lost case is one thing but not being covered for medical in America or somewhere else because you voided the cover through your own actions is something that happens more and more these days especially when you have people that buy online or in supermarkets etc...

Allianz is usually a good policy but it still needs read cover to cover.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Insurance is the way to go with this....that's what we take it out for so use it!!

Worth checking to see if your home insurance policy covers items lost outside the home.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
I did have someone take my battered Samsonite at Boston a few years ago. The BA rep (who was excellent and took complete control of the situation) checked the receipt and confirmed it had definitely come off the aircraft. Within 40-50 mins they'd identified a likely person (as there was other luggage not collected) and they tracked her down, called her cell phone and asked her to return to the airport.
It doesn't even need to be someone who comes off a flight tired through lack of sleep. Travelling from the Crowne Plaza in Dublin to the airport this week reasonably early in the morning, an elderly gentleman tried to lift my bag from the luggage rack rather than his own, before his wife fortunately pointed out his error. It transpired the one he really wanted was a completely different manufacturer, size, colour, had different ID tags and was on the other side of the bus!

I suspect accidental taking is rather more prevalent than any of us think.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:36 am

Where policies have a single item limit, is that typically a cap of the most they will pay out or are more valuable items excluded from cover?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
The only airport in the US I have ever been asked to show baggage tag against something else matching (like my ID or the tag given back to you at checkin) was Las Vegas. More than once even.

Every other US airport is open to the public and you don't see many airport or airline employees around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.