Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen baggage claim denied - BA Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NFH
A large amount of the blame here lies with the UK Border Force, who unreasonably compromise the security of passengers' baggage by delaying passengers at immigration controls. The UK Border Agency needs to have stricter standards whereby passengers are not normally prevented from reaching the baggage reclaim carousel before their baggage does.

I would raise a complaint with UK Border Force, just to make a point, although it's unlikely to get anywhere.
Hang on....so usually on this board everyone complains about having to wait too long for checked baggage to arrive. Yet now we're moaning that it's arriving before the passenger? You can't have it both ways.

Last edited by bibbju; Aug 3, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by NFH
What about the excess (which a lot of travel insurance policies have)? Who will cover this loss? Why should the passenger bear such a loss when the loss is totally outside the passenger's control and within the Border Agency's and BA's control?
Ultimately the person who has control and who is liable to cover this loss is the thief. Unfortunately, he isn't easy to find.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:06 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Ultimately the person who has control and who is liable to cover this loss is the thief.
I disagree. Multiple parties, through negligent procedures, allow passengers' baggage to become outside anyone's care, even though some of those parties have a duty of care over the baggage. The parties concerned are the airline, the immigration officers and the airport.

Imagine if you left your car with a garage for repair and it was stolen. You wouldn't deferring liability to the thief in this case. Even if your insurance covered it, there would be an excess, loss of no claims bonus and loaded future premiums. Insurance is never the answer to resolving disputed liability. Insurance is for where the liable party can't be traced.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by bibbju
Hang on....so usually on this board everyone complains about having to wait too long for checked baggage to arrive. Yet now we're moaning that it's arriving before the passenger? You can't have it both ways.
Well, one of school of thought might argue that it is the airline and the border agency that want to have it both ways. The pax is held responsible for any contents of their bag that might be "contraband" or otherwise fall foul of the laws of the country they are entering, but at the same time want to take no responsibility for ensuring security of the bag from the time it is delivered to the carousel to the time he/she arrives at the carousel to collect it?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NFH
I disagree. Multiple parties, through negligent procedures, allow passengers' baggage to become outside anyone's care, even though some of those parties have a duty of care over the baggage. The parties concerned are the airline, the immigration officers and the airport.

Imagine if you left your car with a garage for repair and it was stolen. You wouldn't deferring liability to the thief in this case. Even if your insurance covered it, there would be an excess, loss of no claims bonus and loaded future premiums. Insurance is never the answer to resolving disputed liability. Insurance is for where the liable party can't be traced.
No. I really can't see that UKBF has any liability here. They are fulfilling a stautory function in checking the right to enter the UK. That this may take some time at busy periods doesn't in some way suggest that they have a duty to get a passenger through in a certain time before their bags arrive, if they have any. Say UKBF delay me entering the UK because they have a large number of arrivals and are checking passengers carefully. As a result I then miss my train and have to buy a new ticket at significant additional cost. Are they responsible for this? Clearly not.

The primary liability is with BA and whoever has control over the baggage area, which may be HAL, BA or a baggage handling contractor. This could easily be stopped by employing people or building exit barriers to check bag tags against receipts. That BA and/or HAL haven't done suggests they are seeking to reduce costs at the expense of security.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:20 pm

Incidentally if I was seeking to smuggle drugs into the UK that were on my person I would certainly steal a bag and conceal them within the bag. If on walking through customs I get detected by the resident spaniel then I can readily disclaim ownership of the bag and claim I picked up the wrong one. Or I could plant the drugs in the bag, wait for the person to collect it and then steal the bag back from them at some point down the line.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Incidentally if I was seeking to smuggle drugs into the UK that were on my person I would certainly steal a bag and conceal them within the bag. If on walking through customs I get detected by the resident spaniel then I can readily disclaim ownership of the bag and claim I picked up the wrong one. Or I could plant the drugs in the bag, wait for the person to collect it and then steal the bag back from them at some point down the line.
I think you're over thinking this scenario

There are several holes in your plans but probably best we don't go down that route.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by NFH
What about the excess (which a lot of travel insurance policies have)? Who will cover this loss? Why should the passenger bear such a loss when the loss is totally outside the passenger's control and within the Border Agency's and BA's control?
Like any uninsured loss it's up to you if you proceed to take action against the person you believe is at fault.

I would suggest taking action against Border Agency would be a waste of time and money. You have no contractual relationship with them, and at no stage do they have anything to do with your bag. Unless there us some evidence of negligence, they will just swat you away and say they are filling the mandate they are given.

You might have more luck with BA - they are responsible for your bag from check in to collection. No doubt they will make it difficult, however for a GCH a gesture of goodwill of say £50 covering the excess might not be unrealistic.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
I think you're over thinking this scenario

There are several holes in your plans but probably best we don't go down that route.
Just to be clear - not plans - more musings on the lack of security!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Stick to the day job.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:51 pm

The primary liability is with BA and whoever has control over the baggage area, which may be HAL, BA or a baggage handling contractor. This could easily be stopped by employing people or building exit barriers to check bag tags against receipts. That BA and/or HAL haven't done suggests they are seeking to reduce costs at the expense of security.
It's a fair argument for sure, but it's not strictly a matter of 'reducing' cost because afaik there never has been a checking procedure to do away with. Also the fact that virtually no other airport in the world, certainly in Europe, does these checks does say something.

I guess random checks as mentioned at LGA could be a reasonable measure but wouldn't solve much. A systematic check, effectively like a second immigration queue, would NOT be popular.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It's a fair argument for sure, but it's not strictly a matter of 'reducing' cost because afaik there never has been a checking procedure to do away with. Also the fact that virtually no other airport in the world, certainly in Europe, does these checks does say something.

I guess random checks as mentioned at LGA could be a reasonable measure but wouldn't solve much. A systematic check, effectively like a second immigration queue, would NOT be popular.
Classic risk based analysis. Weigh up the cost of a systematic check against potential costs if you don't, and people sue you.

Exactly the same reason that banks haven't checked signatures on cheques for more than 30 years. It's cheaper to pay a few claims than have squads of people checking.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
It's cheaper to pay a few claims than have squads of people checking.
Quite. Or even not pay a few claims, as the case may be.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I've always been uncomfortable with bags potentially getting nicked.

I've been to many, many airports (usually in Asia) where you need to show your baggage receipt to leave the baggage claim area with your bag. I like that system. The only way you can fake your way out is if you steal a bag small enough to be carry-on and just rip off the baggage receipt so it appears to be your carry on.

I'd be very, very happy if all airports required you to show your baggage receipt prior to leaving with your bags.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've had my tags checked at BOS (coming off an international flight) and LHR by customs and border patrol just before either wanting to check my luggage for contraband or sending me on my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.