Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen baggage claim denied - BA Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Where policies have a single item limit, is that typically a cap of the most they will pay out or are more valuable items excluded from cover?
Generally you can't get travel insurance with a single item limit much above £500. Mine has a total limit of £3,000.

Anything more than this would ordinarily come under household contents insurance.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:53 am

You can also of course get separate insurance for your iPhone, gadgets and other valuables over £500 which covers you at home and abroad.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Generally you can't get travel insurance with a single item limit much above £500. Mine has a total limit of £3,000.

Anything more than this would ordinarily come under household contents insurance.
Most portable household contents are also covered by most UK household insurance policies. Only high value items need to be specified.

However I would be amazed if the insurers just coughed up without trying to claim a share back from BA for failing to effectively look after passengers baggage.

The most amazing thing about this whole saga to me is that the bags were actually on the belt before the OP got there I have NEVER had that happen in T5.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The most amazing thing about this whole saga to me is that the bags were actually on the belt before the OP got there I have NEVER had that happen in T5.
^^
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Gshumway
The only airport in the US I have ever been asked to show baggage tag against something else matching (like my ID or the tag given back to you at checkin) was Las Vegas. More than once even.

Every other US airport is open to the public and you don't see many airport or airline employees around.
Prior to 9-11, it was a common practice to check at most major US airports, but I assume funding for extra security led that to be cut at most airports. I'm actually surprised they don't check bag tags when exiting customs, but the queues are already long enough really.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:25 pm

Do they do checks in JNB? Can't recall as haven't been there for years. In fact the only place I can remember getting a bag tag check is in Mandalay.

It's common practice on coaches in lots of developing countries but that's obviously much easier than at airports.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Never had bag-tags checked anywhere (UK, US, Europe, Caribbean). Always just find them and walk out.

Perhaps it helps that our bags aren't simple "universal black"?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Do they do checks in JNB? Can't recall as haven't been there for years.
No checks in JNB, certainly not for the last 15 years I've been flying there.
Also. Australian domestic flights have the luggage carousels in public areas, certainly at ADL, PER and BNE.
Feel sorry for OP but my view is it's one for travel insurance but I may be biased because I don't own and probably never will own a £700 jacket
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by simons1
My John Lewis travel policy costing £160 a year covers situations like this. It does indeed have a single item limit of £500, then again I don't carry single items more expensive than this or where it is essential then I know to obtain extended cover.

There is no such clause as the one you refer to, it only says that in the event of theft or damage a PIR and/or police report is required.

In fact I would say the clause you detail renders the whole thing meaningless, the only way you could counter that point would be to have all your belongings with you at all time. If that is really the Amex position then I would change to a decent insurer.
OP says that the jacket cost GBP 700. If it was worn only a few times, it likely has a fair market value of well below GBP 500. Unless one purchases a replacement cost policy which will be a good deal more expensive than standard, I would think that GBP 500 well covers FMV for the jacket.

To the extent that one must travel with individual expensive items, it is well worth having a rider for them. Bear in mind that for an international flight, the maximum carrier liability is approx. US$1,600 and that this covers the suitcase + all contents.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Arizona 777
Had a bag stolen from the LHR T5 carousel two weeks ago: by the time I cleared passport control, it had been taken. BA lost baggage confirmed that the suitcase made it to the carousel, then disappeared from tracking, so I filed a report. Airport police recovered it in T5 four days later, broken into and a £700 jacket missing. I filed a compensation claim with BA: denied and no reason given, only "I'm afraid we can't reimburse the cost." Am pursuing of course but no replies yet from BA.

What am I missing here, Flyertalk community? (Pause for cynical replies to stream in.) I give a steady amount of transatlantic business class travel to BA (1900 tier points thus far this year), and I get a quick brushoff. I'm determined now to shift as many flights as I can to UA. Thanks, needed to vent.
I think the answers so far have been quite constructive and of good intention. However, here is my take on this.

The conditions of carriage are written by the airlines to help the airlines. The premise that BA's responsibility ceases when they deliver the bag at the carousel is a completely made up one, by BA of course.

It is illogical, since it can be argued that BA neglected to take care that the bags reach the proper owner by use of checking bag receipts and other methods which are in operation at other airports.

The time taken to reach the carousel is again not the passenger's fault, since getting there without clearing the UK Border is impossible. However, it's up to the courts to decide, but would be an interesting legal contest, if you choose to pursue it.

BA will defend it's position, I think.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:25 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by simons1
This is why you pay your insurance premium. It covers these risks.
What about the excess (which a lot of travel insurance policies have)? Who will cover this loss? Why should the passenger bear such a loss when the loss is totally outside the passenger's control and within the Border Agency's and BA's control?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:28 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by revan
They will say, quite rightly, that the risk of compromising passenger baggage is far outweighed by compromising the UK border by not making thorough checks on incoming visitors.
Ensuring that passengers reach baggage reclaim before their baggage is not at the expense of thorough checks on incoming passengers. The UK Border Force needs sufficient staff to carry out the necessary checks. Unreasonably delaying passengers is not a solution.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NFH
What about the excess (which a lot of travel insurance policies have)? Who will cover this loss? Why should the passenger bear such a loss when the loss is totally outside the passenger's control and within the Border Agency's and BA's control?
If the insurer believes BA to share responsibility then the insurer will go after BA even if only for a part of the total, having insurance does not give BA a get out of jail free card if it hasn't taken reasonable care of baggage.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
If the insurer believes BA to share responsibility then the insurer will go after BA even if only for a part of the total, having insurance does not give BA a get out of jail free card if it hasn't taken reasonable care of baggage.
BA will just shift the blame on to the airport owners for not having the baggage reclaim exit secured to prevent such a thing from happening. In this day and age they could easily have a machine automatically scanning the bag tags and receipts...if two don't match an alarm goes off.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As BA Gold, didn't you get an invitation to use Fast Track at LHR?
Originally Posted by dylanks
Lol, lately the fast track is staffed by two agents, and when you get up there they suggest you register for the trusted traveler scheme. The slow track is often faster for immigration.
Despite the OP's handle and his UA status, I'll take a punt based on his location that there is a chance he was travelling on an EU passport and not necessarily on an American passport. BA status alone is not a sufficient condition for Fast Track access - the pax must also be on a non-EU passport (or at least so the rules and signage claim.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.