Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Got to T5 at noon today. Piles and piles of luggage in the main check-in hall.

I get to the F check-in desk and they tell me the luggage system has been down all day. But not to worry, the baggage coming from the F desks will be fine - because the system is up for them...

What a sucker I am. Get to GVA and lo and behold, no bags were loaded. At all.

BA / dnata say my bags will be on the 2000 arrival. We shall see.

Anyone flying with checked luggage today, beware.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by BA
There has been a IT software fault this morning (Thursday 26 June) at Heathrow Terminal 5, which has affected the airport's baggage system.

As a result of the IT fault a number of flights have departed from Heathrow today with lower than expected levels of baggage.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Try nil baggage. That's what dnata told me for the last two GVA flights.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Isn't this the second time this has happened recently? I think this has helped my decision whether to check in a bag for my inbound on Saturday..
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:08 am

I wonder what would happen if during a T5 baggage meltdown people took their hold bags to the gate. Would they be gate-checked for free as usually happens with oversize cabin baggage?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bioblot
I wonder what would happen if during a T5 baggage meltdown people took their hold bags to the gate.
I bet that many of those bags physically wouldn't fit through the X-ray machine, leaving aside questions of whether they contain anything that can't go beyond security (like big bottles of liquid).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:22 am

I knew there was a reason I just renewed my amex travel insurance.I'm off to GVA on saturday,and I could do with some retail therapy.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: ABBA
The main reason I check bags is
1) because my bag usually contains things like screwdrivers.
2) I'm taking large equipment

So no luck for me if I was travelling today.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Isn't this the second time this has happened recently? I think this has helped my decision whether to check in a bag for my inbound on Saturday..
T1 baggage system went awol last Sunday evening (22nd)/Monday morning, though I think that was mechanical rather than an IT glitch. Predominantly affected departing pax, with flights leaving with few or no bags onboard.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze
So I am flying out of T5 tomorrow for a long weekend, with the potential Mrs Speedbird.

Spoke to a friend who is a manager in T5 and the advice was to go hand baggage only due to the backlog etc .Passed this info on to the girlfriend and this idea was met with disbelief. How can a woman going away for three nights, just do hand-baggage only?!!!!

So some of her stuff is going into my hand baggage and then her bag goes down the chute into the baggage gods hands

Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
T5 baggage system total failure today, 26/6/14

I can't go away for 1 night on hand luggage only and am of the male species.

I have been getting packing counseling from the very best on here though so might have to revisit said advice before my flight on Saturday.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Passed this info on to the girlfriend and this idea was met with disbelief. How can a woman going away for three nights, just do hand-baggage only?!!!!
Sounds like her handling of the situation has fleshed out whether she is worthy of being Mrs Speedbird
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

This may explain why my bag that recently missed the AA-BA T3-T5 transfer/connection never arrived in AMS, and is still missing.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG
I've been caught up in this debacle as well. Anyone have any idea what constitutes "essential" items that BA would compensate you for and anyone have any experience of the process of getting compensation?

I really could do with a pair of swimming shorts, underwear, tooth brush and a phone charger that were all in my baggage.

Annoyingly when I checked in they said the bags would be put on the plane and I looked at the big pile and thought that looked like a tall order but didn't then think to take anything out of my checked bag and stick in hand luggage
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by moonman85
I really could do with a pair of swimming shorts, underwear, tooth brush and a phone charger that were all in my baggage.
I would have thought that is all legit. I would however not aim for high end brands, just to prevent challenge. Just keep the receipts (and photo receipts and products with your 'phone just in case they go AWOL!). If you have travel insurance you may want to check for their advice (e.g. whether they will authorise it on the spot, or invite you to go via BA and revert back to them if they challenge. They will ping BA in due course if they pick up the tab).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.