Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
US seem to do a better job of explaining how its J product differs across its fleet. AA take note.
A little unfair on AA there I think. Their 772/763/757 J products are more or less identical in terms of seating with the differences on the 77W getting a lot of coverage on aa.com.

The US products are all much more distinct (and in many cases inferior).
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum
It's been 6 days since my spouse finished her first US airways flights with BAEC number. No activity yet. I flew yesterday and today - let's see how long it takes.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
A little unfair on AA there I think. Their 772/763/757 J products are more or less identical in terms of seating with the differences on the 77W getting a lot of coverage on aa.com.
Not quite since there is:
2 class 767-300 with lie flat seats

777-200 retrofit, not to mention
A321 Transcontinental.

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Apr 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:02 am
Suspended

The US products are all much more distinct (and in many cases inferior).
Sorry I'd meant to say in contrast to the poor job AA does of explaining how the F product varies so much across its domestic network.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
You're right of course but it would be very hard to provide that information for each flight in the same way BA can't for old/new F or indeed US can't for the different versions of their aircraft. I don't think AA are any better or worse than the others in that respect.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
Sorry I'd meant to say in contrast to the poor job AA does of explaining how the F product varies so much across its domestic network.
Agreed. You never quite know until you turn into the cabin from the door.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Agreed. You never quite know until you turn into the cabin from the door.
Indeed I always expect the unexciting recliner seat and am pleasantly surprised if I get something better but just wait until onboard to see what it is!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, HHonors Gold
Hi all,

one quick question which I could not find being answered yet (beside the TP question), can I really bring 3 pieces of luggage for free on a US airways flight in Y as BA silver?

This would be my understanding of:

"1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bag fees waived

Gold, Platinum and Chairman's Dividend Miles Preferred members
AAdvantage Platinum and Executive Platinum members
oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members"

from: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

Any experiences already?

Thank you and best regards
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH *G, IHG Platinum
Hi all, just wanted to share my experiences of US air this week.

I was on the FRA Flight to CLT on the 31st March and I was only allowed to check in 2 bags free, apparently the system did not allow me to add a third... the third bag was a chargeable bag but they waived this as at the time no one knew what they were doing. GOOD FOR ME :-)

No recognition of your status nor did they really care about priority boarding.

For their TP points, I got 70 TPs for the FRA to CLT leg and 20 TPs for the CLT to MIA leg. I was flying in Y. The special promotion at the moment with BA is brilliant!

Other things to note was that the food was painfully aweful.. The worst of it was the return leg back to FRA from CLT where the breakfast was a very sweet lemon cake with tea/coffee.. Overall service was not the best either, if you are used to BA WT, you will find that the in flight service on this airline is probably a lot worst. In fact so bad that you probably can't make a fair comparison... I felt that the crew seem to be disinterested and have run out of steam. Has anyone experienced this?

Overall score (10 being outstanding) I rate usair a solid 3/10. The only positive for me is the TPs and the special promotion.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by whatloyalty?
Hi all, just wanted to share my experiences of US air this week.

I was on the FRA Flight to CLT on the 31st March and I was only allowed to check in 2 bags free, apparently the system did not allow me to add a third... the third bag was a chargeable bag but they waived this as at the time no one knew what they were doing. GOOD FOR ME :-)

No recognition of your status nor did they really care about priority boarding.

For their TP points, I got 70 TPs for the FRA to CLT leg and 20 TPs for the CLT to MIA leg. I was flying in Y. The special promotion at the moment with BA is brilliant!

Other things to note was that the food was painfully aweful.. The worst of it was the return leg back to FRA from CLT where the breakfast was a very sweet lemon cake with tea/coffee.. Overall service was not the best either, if you are used to BA WT, you will find that the in flight service on this airline is probably a lot worst. In fact so bad that you probably can't make a fair comparison... I felt that the crew seem to be disinterested and have run out of steam. Has anyone experienced this?

Overall score (10 being outstanding) I rate usair a solid 3/10. The only positive for me is the TPs and the special promotion.
Thanks! You are the first one to report any kind of TPs on usair! Do you know how long it took for those to post?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I'm not able to find any options to book DCA- SYR using Avios. Is there something I'm missing? Does US Airways have to have the lowest award available for a date/route for it to be searchable on BA?
I'm having this issue trying to book some nonstop PHL-YUL flights. Ba.com shows 'no flights available' when trying to book the itinerary, even though USAirways.com shows the lowest tier available with nonstops on many days. Trying other days so far has only given me one option - a 3 hour connection in LGA.

Does anyone know if BA/US is restricting award space, or if this is just a glitch? Would I have any better luck trying to call and have it booked that way?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by cal_dood
Thanks! You are the first one to report any kind of TPs on usair! Do you know how long it took for those to post?
I hope to confirm these 70TP soon also! Seems whatloyalty flew 5 days before me so I have hopefully no more than 5 days to wait for them to post!

If 70TP post, that surely wont be left like that for too long!

@whatloyalty did you also receive double avios? as per the promotion?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by whatloyalty?
And thank you for coming back with these comments, very interesting. In addition to how quickly they posted (presumably no more than 15 days), could you also let us know whether this was a discounted / inflexible ticket? The reason being that if it was, the CLT to MIA leg in particular would be normally 10 TPs, though the BA calculator has not shown this for US Airways yet.

As to the poor quality of service - well this is an airline which is not going to exist in a few years time and so it must have some impact on staff morale. Furthermore US Airways roots were towards a lower cost model compared to, say, AA. However over recent years - and with the arrival of Southwest - the difference between them all has narrowed a lot, particularly in Economy / Coach.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And thank you for coming back with these comments, very interesting. In addition to how quickly they posted (presumably no more than 15 days), could you also let us know whether this was a discounted / inflexible ticket? The reason being that if it was, the CLT to MIA leg in particular would be normally 10 TPs, though the BA calculator has not shown this for US Airways yet.

As to the poor quality of service - well this is an airline which is not going to exist in a few years time and so it must have some impact on staff morale. Furthermore US Airways roots were towards a lower cost model compared to, say, AA. However over recent years - and with the arrival of Southwest - the difference between them all has narrowed a lot, particularly in Economy / Coach.
Hi, I can let you know my Tier Point posting(s) from last week. Flew DUB-PHL in J on Thursday and 140 points had posted by Sunday.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA_Pax
Hi, I can let you know my Tier Point posting(s) from last week. Flew DUB-PHL in J on Thursday and 140 points had posted by Sunday.

Cheers.
Excellent, that's the first confirmation I've seen that business gets business TPs! I hope you got more than 12,000 Avios too? Thank you, I will amend some of the early posts in this thread.

I've also made an Edinburgh to Philadelphia booking, and can confirm that the low level of surcharges on redemptions: £160 in Business in that direction, an almost incredible £1.50 from PHL to EDI in Business, same 40k Avios as BA. So from EDI to PHL and back to EDI, US wants 80k Avios and £161. BA via LHR is 80k Avios and £573.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.